What's new

Same hair; different knot

My favorite simpsons' grade of hair is 2 band silvertip, and i have tried all grades (except pure). However, I learned something new this weekend. Just because I have tried a grade of hair before does not mean I understand how it will feel.

I was always curious about manchurian hair, but was also less than eager to drop big bucks on something I wasn't sure I would like. So I did what a lot of us have probably done. I purchased the cheapest brush I could with this grade of hair (actually I did this at least twice). This meant I was getting smaller brushes. Both brushes had the same experience for me, so I mistakenly assumed all manchurian grade brushes would be the same; I was wrong.

I recently received a new (to me) brush, which by all accounts I should not have purchased. A chubby 3 manchurian. I ultimately pulled the trigger because:
- Chubby 2's are my favorite style and I wanted to confirm chubby 3 was just too big
- It has my college colors of which I am a big fan
- It was a good deal (I am a sucker for a good deal)

Ultimately I just thought I would keep it in the collection and rarely actually use it. Maybe after a week long camping trip where removal of the first few layers of skin would be welcome. But, I do like to use every brush I acquire, even if just once.

This brush will get a lot more use.

The stiff scrubby manchurian hair was much more enjoyable when spread out across the huge knot. While I could definitely tell this was the same hair grade, the experience was completely different than my previous trials. It's like stepping on a nail compared to laying on a bed of nails. All of the scrub and stiffness without being irritating.

While this has not taken over the top spot from the 2 Band Silvertip, this brush has earned the right to be used in a regular rotation.

IMG_1016.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
Very beautiful Chubby. There’s something to be said for brush makers that have been around and making brushes for at least a century. They do learn a thing or two about brush construction, hair type, optimal shape, density, loft, etc. Enjoy!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My favorite simpsons' grade of hair is 2 band silvertip, and i have tried all grades (except pure). However, I learned something new this weekend. Just because I have tried a grade of hair before does not mean I understand how it will feel.

I was always curious about manchurian hair, but was also less than eager to drop big bucks on something I wasn't sure I would like. So I did what a lot of us have probably done. I purchased the cheapest brush I could with this grade of hair (actually I did this at least twice). This meant I was getting smaller brushes. Both brushes had the same experience for me, so I mistakenly assumed all manchurian grade brushes would be the same; I was wrong.

I recently received a new (to me) brush, which by all accounts I should not have purchased. A chubby 3 manchurian. I ultimately pulled the trigger because:
- Chubby 2's are my favorite style and I wanted to confirm chubby 3 was just too big
- It has my college colors of which I am a big fan
- It was a good deal (I am a sucker for a good deal)

Ultimately I just thought I would keep it in the collection and rarely actually use it. Maybe after a week long camping trip where removal of the first few layers of skin would be welcome. But, I do like to use every brush I acquire, even if just once.

This brush will get a lot more use.

The stiff scrubby manchurian hair was much more enjoyable when spread out across the huge knot. While I could definitely tell this was the same hair grade, the experience was completely different than my previous trials. It's like stepping on a nail compared to laying on a bed of nails. All of the scrub and stiffness without being irritating.

While this has not taken over the top spot from the 2 Band Silvertip, this brush has earned the right to be used in a regular rotation.

View attachment 1198011
That's a handsome brush- let me guess- you went either to Clemson, Princeton, Oregon State, or Oklahoma State.

Very nice brush. In my experience the Manchurian grade has a lot of character that varies from brush to brush. I’ve had super soft tips, scratchy tips, stiff knots that can punch holes in plasterboard to ones with a welcome bit of splay. When you get a good one, which is the norm, they are tough to beat. Two band SiLVERTiP is a crowd pleaser that’s easy to love. Manchurian is a tough manly brush that’s more of an acquired taste. Like many people I started out chasing ultimate softness but eventually moved away from that. It’s nice to to actually feel the brush on your face.

Top Bottom