What's new

Same Blade, Same Soap, Better Results.

Just a quick note for any newbies like me...

I've bought so many products in the last couple of months and couldn't work out why my shaves weren't improving. This week I decided to stick with one Blade and one soap all week and see what happened. After reading about people ditching blades after 2 or 3 shaves I was expecting the worst but the 4th and 5th shave for me this week have been incredible.

So much so that I'm writing this post immediately after my shave tonight.

I think it's partially my technique improving but probably mostly that I'm just getting to grips with one set of tools rather than going crazy and testing everything. I'm seriously close to BBS tonight and really stoked!

Congratulations!! :a29: :a29:

Great lesson!! The point is that it often takes a bit of time to figure out how to get the best from your kit. Changing too many things at once often slows the learning process (at least it does for me.)

Very good post, & great lesson. It's recommended to stay with the same razor, blade (brand), soap, & brush for a month to give yourself time to get to know your products & to focus on technique. That's what is called a Fixed Four.

Glad your shaves are improving, enjoy!

This is one of the best pieces of advice noobs can get but it’s one of the hardest to do.

Worth it in the end, congrats man!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sometimes it is best to stick with one set up for a period of time to hone your technique. Well done.

I tells yaz, and I tells yaz. Don’t faff about choppin” and changin’ until ya got yer technike down pat.

Well done, mate. Big lessonz lernd!

4th and 5th shave for me this week have been incredible.
You will find that with the majority of the blades, I usually do a run if the dice (6 shaves) per blade and shaves 3-5 is when the blades perform the best, first couple of shaves the blades are a bit harsh due to the sharpness and the last is a bit rough due to the blade going dull.

Welcome and good you are sticking to a set for a while before you try something else, once you have your technique down is a lot more fun trying new things!

As a newb myself, I'm definitely trying to cut down on the variables to improve my technique. Using the same type of blade for a month really makes sense to me.

Technique is key. That includes your pre-shave preparation, lathering, and shaving. It can take a while to master the lathering and shaving processes to learn what works best for your face and beard. The R89 is a good razor for a beginner. The Personna blade is a well-respected blade. You did not mention your shaving brush and soap or cream.

Once you can consistently get a decent shave without significant cuts and irritation, you can start experimenting with razors, blades, brushes, soaps, etc. Such experimentation is part of the fun, but until you have the basics under control, such experimentation will only confuse you and make the learning process take longer.

Top Bottom