What's new

same blade each shave

normally i use each of my razors in a rotation each shave with a different type/make of blade each time, but what I'm contemplating is using the same type of blade each shave in each of my safety razors, perhaps 3 shaves each blade, then another new blade from the same pack for 3 shaves etc, giving a + or a - to each shave, to see what blade works best with each razor, as i know some blades are good in some razors and others not so,the experiment may well take a while to complete, but i will give a mark to the blade each shave and a comment regarding each razor and blade in the "what did you use today" thread, if anyone wants me to try a particular blade in a particular razor, let me know and I'll try and get round to using it👍🏼

Sounds like a fun plan--I've been thinking about doing something similar. Are you planning to switch razors between each shave? I.e., using each blade in three different razors? I ask because so often my first shave or two on a new blade is more aggressive that subsequent shaves. (Usually I'll use a blade at least a dozen times before discarding, though.)

Sounds like a fun plan--I've been thinking about doing something similar. Are you planning to switch razors between each shave? I.e., using each blade in three different razors? I ask because so often my first shave or two on a new blade is more aggressive that subsequent shaves. (Usually I'll use a blade at least a dozen times before discarding, though.)
yes i have 15 different razors, so was thinking same type of blade from same pack, for about 3 shaves then another from same pack for 3 shaves till ive used all 15 razors, then moving on to a different blade type so on so forth, hence why i say it may actually take a long time(maybe even months) until i find the perfect match up with razor and blade, but may get there eventually 👍🏼

anyone else who wishes to participate, feel free, as i know there will be many folk with razors that i dont have, who can contribute to this👍🏼

I've been doing a similar thing.

I have a lot of different brands of blade so I've decided to work my way through them one brand at a time!

I put a new blade in one razor and use it till it's dead then put another new blade (same brand) into a different razor. It's the most fair way I can think to approach it for reasons that JackJ mentioned.

Been a great experience and good to get to use and enjoy razors that I had previously put on the back bench.

I've been doing a similar thing.

I have a lot of different brands of blade so I've decided to work my way through them one brand at a time!

I put a new blade in one razor and use it till it's dead then put another new blade (same brand) into a different razor. It's the most fair way I can think to approach it for reasons that JackJ mentioned.

Been a great experience and good to get to use and enjoy razors that I had previously put on the back bench.
I'm hoping eventually to perhaps find the 15 best blades to pair with each razor, it could eventually lead to the perfect shave every time😁, i maybe even start a new thread dedicated to this experiment👍🏼

I think like this:
  • A blade that does not work in every razor is a bad blade. A such blade I would not want to use.
  • I have found a blade brand I like and every shave I use this brand. Why would I want to risk having a less good shave?
  • In the past when I actually rotated between razors I simply left the blades in the razors and used them until they tugged. I do not see any benefit of moving a cheap blade around from razor to razor. That would causes more wear on the threads.

Good plan!

My experience is that:
1. Some blades ‘just work’ well in most any razor. These are generally in my ‘top tier.’
2. Other blades just do not work for me. These go in my ‘bottom tier.’
3. Then there are blades that are ‘razor dependent.’ For example, I am not a big fan of Feathers, except with the AS/D2 where Feather blades really shine!

So, my guess is that you should be able to better explore ‘razor-dependent’ blade performance. :clap: :clap:

which are you planning to use?
unsure as yet, I'll check out my blades, and choose different blades to go with the razors, i shave about 2-3 times a week, so it maybe take a while to test all types of blades as i have quite a few, but I'm sure there's no real hurry anyway, I'll probably start tomorrow, I'll choose a blade type to use for the next 15 shaves, then after that I'll move to another type,I'll rate each blade in each razor, after the experiment is completely done, I'll pair whatever i feel is the best blade for each razor👍🏼

I think like this:
  • A blade that does not work in every razor is a bad blade. A such blade I would not want to use.
  • I have found a blade brand I like and every shave I use this brand. Why would I want to risk having a less good shave?
  • In the past when I actually rotated between razors I simply left the blades in the razors and used them until they tugged. I do not see any benefit of moving a cheap blade around from razor to razor. That would causes more wear on the threads.
as above, I'll maybe try each blade for 3 uses, before swapping for a brand new blade of same type, that should be 5 total blades for the 15 razors, marking each shave + or - until i find what i feel is the best blade for each razor👍🏼

which are you planning to use?
unsure as yet, I'll check out my blades, and choose different blades to go with the razors, i shave about 2-3 times a week, so it maybe take a while to test all types of blades as i have quite a few, but I'm sure there's no real hurry anyway, I'll probably start tomorrow, I'll choose a blade type to use for the next 15 shaves, then after that I'll move to another type,I'll rate each blade in each razor, after the experiment is completely done, I'll pair whatever i feel is the best blade for each razor👍🏼
Good plan!

My experience is that:
1. Some blades ‘just work’ well in most any razor. These are generally in my ‘top tier.’
2. Other blades just do not work for me. These go in my ‘bottom tier.’
3. Then there are blades that are ‘razor dependent.’ For example, I am not a big fan of Feathers, except with the AS/D2 where Feather blades really shine!

So, my guess is that you should be able to better explore ‘razor-dependent’ blade performance. :clap: :clap:
as you say, Feather blades in my Feather AS D2 are great, but I've yet to try Feather in any other razor, so i will try the Feather blades at some point during my experiment👍🏼

My only razor is the WCS 84S; so far, it has yielded great shaves with every blade I have tried in it.

By the end of the month, I will receive an assortment of 28 pack of blades. I plan on putting all the blades loose in a suitable container, and drawing a new blade at random.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think like this:
As to point one, I respectfully offer that this has not been my experience. Some of the sharper blades are quite nice in very mild razors and horrible in aggressive razors. Or at least so says my face.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

as you say, Feather blades in my Feather AS D2 are great, but I've yet to try Feather in any other razor, so i will try the Feather blades at some point during my experiment👍🏼
I look forward to this. I like Feather in an AS-D2 but must be exceptionally attentive using it in anything else.

As to point one, I respectfully offer that this has not been my experience. Some of the sharper blades are quite nice in very mild razors and horrible in aggressive razors. Or at least so says my face.
I noticed you have not been on this forum for a long time, so it might be that you are new to DE shaving. If it happens to be so, you might change your opinion later on. If you have actually been shaving with DE for a long time it might be a YMMV thing.

I think that especially more aggressive razors requires a sharp blade because the more aggressive a razor is the less tugging you want. Any kind of tugging will cause you to lose precision and with an aggressive razor you want all the precision you are able to get. Precision is the key to a good shave so you are able to keep a good working angle and no pressure.

When I begun DE shaving I bought R41 (a very aggressive razor) and Derby (very dull blades). I saw blood almost every shave until I bought more sharp blades. Then the problem disappeared immediately because I was able to gain precision. With Derby blades I experienced terrible tugging. I think Feather blades are better for R41 than Derby blades and I do not see any blood when using Feather blades.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I noticed you have not been on this forum for a long time, so it might be that you are new to DE shaving. If it happens to be so, you might change your opinion later on. If you have actually been shaving with DE for a long time it might be a YMMV thing.

I think that especially more aggressive razors requires a sharp blade because the more aggressive a razor is the less tugging you want. Any kind of tugging will cause you to lose precision and with an aggressive razor you want all the precision you are able to get. Precision is the key to a good shave so you are able to keep a good working angle and no pressure.

When I begun DE shaving I bought R41 (a very aggressive razor) and Derby (very dull blades). I saw blood almost every shave until I bought more sharp blades. Then the problem disappeared immediately because I was able to gain precision. With Derby blades I experienced terrible tugging. I think Feather blades are better for R41 than Derby blades and I do not see any blood when using Feather blades.
I have actually been DE shaving since the mid-1960s. It has been years since I nicked myself, but it was with a more aggressive razor than the Feather I use now. What you say makes sense. When I used a straight it was essential to be meticulous about keeping it sharp. FWIW I hate dull blades.

Top Bottom