What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Salutations from Bulgaria!

Welcome aboard! The Bismarck should be an excellent choice. I love my Dovo Carre which is the same blank, different scales. A good leather strop is important.

I would also recommend reading up on pasted balsa strops. My 50k/100k/200k diamond pasted balsa strops keep most of my straight razor edges extremely sharp without any additional finish honing. I just use a 2"x3"x12" piece of balsa for each strop. (25cmx75cmx300cm)

Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B, and thanks for the long post - it was anything but dull and a great read for a Saturday morning.

Sounds like you've jumped in on the stones. A strop is the one thing you can't do without - that or some other method of stropping (newspaper, denim, seatbelt webbing). A blade will lose it's keenness after very few shaves. If I'm reading that right and you got more than ten shaves without stropping, that's a lot - I tend to give it at least 20 passes on leather before every shave and before putting the razor away.

Some nice kit you're accumulating there - looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Thank you for the kind words and liking the long story. Unfortunately 1 year has passed since this post originally and some things have changed. I had a Solingen straight which I butchered and made an ugly frown. And the Dovo I sold because, well I didn't want to ruin it. I tried reading up on how to hone a razor but never did understand what setting the bevel means. Everyone says that it's set when it's set, which means nothing to me. Also I have to invest some good good money for stones which I cannot afford at the moment. The easiest way would be for someone to show me in person but that won't happen soon. Anyways I still love the idea of shaving with straights but I will leave it for another time in the future. I basically substituted the straight for a shavette with which I got pretty decent. Then December I got my Henson razor and haven't looked back. I can shave daily with it and get BBS's which was all that I was looking forward to!

Welcome aboard! The Bismarck should be an excellent choice. I love my Dovo Carre which is the same blank, different scales. A good leather strop is important.

I would also recommend reading up on pasted balsa strops. My 50k/100k/200k diamond pasted balsa strops keep most of my straight razor edges extremely sharp without any additional finish honing. I just use a 2"x3"x12" piece of balsa for each strop. (25cmx75cmx300cm)

Enjoy!
Thank you very much! All of this will come in handy in about 5-10-20 years when I decide I can afford and manage having a straight and honing it myself. These posts won't disappear :)))

Glad to hear you are getting great shaves with your Henson. And that you have a shavette in your repertoire.

I can't imagine having had the time and money to take up straight razor shaving and honing as a hobby when I was younger. I had to get the kids out of the house first!

Top Bottom