What's new

Salter's vs. Taylor's

I recently picked up a tub of Salter's Rose cream and I really like it. The scent as well as the shave I get from this cream are great. I was thinking of picking up some Taylor's Rose as well and was curious if anyone who has tried both would share their opinions on the differences in scent, lather, etc.?

Thanks!

Well, if we are talking the original Taylor's rose formulation, there is no comparison - it blows the doors of the Salters, both scent and shave. The new one is still nice, but more muted in scent with less of the woodiness that made the original so unique. I would give the edge in shave quality to Taylors, and the scent to Salters.

Hmmm. I would rate them thusly (combining scent and shave into some effective metric):

Taylor ~= Salter > T&H > Trumper. That is pretty much it for creams. In soaps, there are some more choices, but none of them really get me hot and bothered.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For more details, see Scotto's post regarding new vs. old Taylors.

I was in Pasteur's Pharmacy yesterday, searching frantically for old tubs of avocado and rose. I like their new sandalwood and lavender, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I popped open a tub of the new rose. It was a completely different color than the old version. It looked more like the lavender, and the scent was nothing at all like the earlier version.

I was so upset I had to buy some Harris lavender (the miserable bastids only had tubes) and Taylor St. James to console myself. And they were out of Baxter balm again!:mad:

A rose shave cream that is not often mentioned comes from Amenity. I would rate it comparable to Taylors. They also have a matching balm.

brando said:
I recently picked up a tub of Salter's Rose cream and I really like it. The scent as well as the shave I get from this cream are great. I was thinking of picking up some Taylor's Rose as well and was curious if anyone who has tried both would share their opinions on the differences in scent, lather, etc.?

Thanks!
I think you should stick to the salters wild rose its a lot better than taylors and you get more in it as well

2clfrwrds said:
That's a bold statement. In what ways do you find it better?
Hi 2, (Strange name are you a twin?)
Personally I like bold statements, re Tones BS, er Barber Shop.. I might question TBS' assessment of the pre-reformulation Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose versus Salters, but the new Taylor of Old BS Rose is a very poor replacement for its predecessor. A rose is a rose is a rose might sound acceptable, but the new Taylor fragrance just does not have the fragrance quality nor the strength of the old formulation.

Salter's doesn't even smell like roses, it smells like perfumed toilet paper. I spend a lot of time around actual roses and was SO disappointed by this stuff. I was thinking of pouring some rosewater in there. Although it's a prolific latherer, it doesn't give a slick shave, so even when there's foam there, the razor still irritates the skin. My experience was with various straight razors, as always YMMV.

Wow, sorry to hear you didn't like it. I think it is quite lovely, so as always YMMV, as you note.

I am sure if you offer it for trade or sale someone will snatch it up.

I am a huge fan of Salter Mint. WHen I talked with Charles at QED a while ago, he said the base was the same for all the Salter creams and only the scent differed. I have not tried the rose - I will probably pick up some almond after I work through the mint for a while.

Dennis

ouch

No one seems to mention the Coates rose. It has a nice but fairly weak scent (all of their scents seem muted to me) and has the typical top notch Coates lather.

Coates supposedly has been reformulating or repackaging their soaps for, oh, about 3 years now I guess. I doubt it will ever happen myself and we may have seen the last of anything new. -- Dennis

ouch

I have it on good authority that Coates is timing the re-release of their creams to coincide with the updating of QED's website.

In other words...............don't hold your breath.:crying:

Top Bottom