What's new

Salter Vetiver

Can anyone describe what "Vetiver" smells like? I've seen a lot of guys on the SOTD using this cream and am just curious about how you regular users would classify it's scent & lubricity? I don't see any reviews on the review forum done on this cream. How do Salter creams perform compared to Taylors?

any info would be appreciated...

Salter's Vetiver is no longer in production. I personally prefer Salter creams over the majority of Taylor's - they both give good lubrication (perhaps Taylor's is a little better here) but Salter's gives me a better cushion I find.

Salter's vetiver is definitely an acquired taste. High quality lather but the scent is one of the very few scents that I found too objectionable to continue using. Very smokey and earthy. I'll bet that it smells like no other vetiver that you ever have used. :9898:

Yup-Salters Vetiver is smokey on the sniff ,but feels and smells great on the shave I was not too thrilled with it at first but lately I cant seem to put it away O by the way Charles at QED has it in stock SOL G

blueasajewel said:
Salter's Vetiver is no longer in production. I personally prefer Salter creams over the majority of Taylor's - they both give good lubrication (perhaps Taylor's is a little better here) but Salter's gives me a better cushion I find.

Ravi,
Just as a heads up - it is now being produced yet again, and it is available to purchase.

Justso said:
Can anyone describe what "Vetiver" smells like? I've seen a lot of guys on the SOTD using this cream and am just curious about how you regular users would classify it's scent & lubricity? I don't see any reviews on the review forum done on this cream. How do Salter creams perform compared to Taylors?

Try reading this and the following reparte.

Shaved with it today. Great stuff. Be advised, though - this is a love it or hate it thing. Justin, knowing a bit about your tastes, I have a feeling it won't be your cup of tea.

This is one of my favorite creams. I find Salter to perform with the best of them, even better. The vetiver is one of my favorite scents. It is a deeply masculine scent that is very heavy. One use of this and your brush will smell like it for a few shaves afterward regardless of what you use. I'm glad to hear they are producing it again, I'll have to stock up before the next whim to discontinue it again.

Chris

As for scent, it reminds me of the oh so very pungent scent that you find in a chinese herbalist's shop. If you've ever had the opportunity to enter one of these places, and have survived the assualt upon your olfactory organs, you have an idea of what Salter's Vetiver smells like.:rolleyes:

I actually love the scent, and find it clinging to my hands and face for quite awhile.

joel said:
Ravi,
Just as a heads up - it is now being produced yet again, and it is available to purchase.

Whaaa? That's great! It was the only scent I was not able to get. Going to give Charles a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Smokey? Earthy? Hmm...well, it does sound like a love/hate thing...

Scotto- Yeah, I think you're right on this one. From what I've picked up from the descriptions, sounds like a mix of potting soil and smouldering leaves. :blushing: I'll probably give it a pass and just go after the St. James Cream from Taylor.

Ron,

Try reading what? I clicked that and its just a pic? Did I miss somesing?

Justso said:
Smokey? Earthy? Hmm...well, it does sound like a love/hate thing...

Scotto- Yeah, I think you're right on this one. From what I've picked up from the descriptions, sounds like a mix of potting soil and smouldering leaves. :blushing: I'll probably give it a pass and just go after the St. James Cream from Taylor.

Ron,

Try reading what? I clicked that and its just a pic? Did I miss somesing?
Justin,
I believe Ron is referring to an "acquisition" thread - this one in particular. If you scroll down you'll see Ron post it as an acquisition, which was the "single" post he linked you to, however if you read the threads below it, and on following pages, there is a wealth of information on the scent posted by several members. :smile:

That's it Joel. After my smokey comment, post 15 of the thread, we got a "WEALTH" of opinion. How does get a link to a specific post and still get the thread open as opposed to the pointer in the upper right?

Hope that did not cause too much confusion.

Justso said:

It smells woody and very masculine the lather brilliant and they still have it in production and we have some in stock i would say it is better than t&h as taylors does not make this scent
these are their current fragrances
lime
citrus
almond
indian sandalwood
wild rose
french vetiver
fresh mint

To me, it smells like a cold campfire ash pit.

I found it very disagreeable and think that dead skunk smells a little bit better.

It might well be an acquired taste, but I don't plan on attempting it.

To each his own, your milage may vary, yada, yada, yada....

-joedy

Joedy said:
To me, it smells like a cold campfire ash pit.

I found it very disagreeable and think that dead skunk smells a little bit better.

It might well be an acquired taste, but I don't plan on attempting it.

To each his own, your milage may vary, yada, yada, yada....

-joedy
Hee! Good thing you just had a sample. Lesson learned...

Personally, I love the stuff.

Top Bottom