What's new

Salter Sandalwood?

Anybody here try Salter's Sandalwood? I'm putting in an order to Classicshaving (for the SLANT bar- it's worth a shot) and I'm gettin' Salter's Fresh Mint because I've read it's a favorite of some veterans here (Joel, I think, for one), and I don't have a nice Sandalwood... I find most sandalwoods smell kind of salty, for lack of a better word. Especially the AOS- after a little while, it smells artificial and, well, salty? The only thing with a sandalwood undertone that I LOVE is the Truefitt Trafalgar.

So, any brief reviews (thumbs up or down) on Salter's Sandalwood would be greatly appreciated... Normally I'd just order the thing, but for $19 bucks, it's kind of steep!

AOS is made with real sandalwood essential oil but it also smells like eucalyptus. I have never tried Salter but I do use Taylors, which is kind of a sandalwood blend.

The only 100% essential oil sandalwood I have been able to find is QED, which is my absolute farvorite but it's a soap, not a cream.

If you are looking for a true Sandalwood scent, and do not mind using a soap rather than a cream, QED is definitely the way to go. Once you open the lid you know you are dealing with pure Sandalwood, no mistake.

Well, the Salters is probably the only sandalwood I haven't tried. I know Joel loves it, but that doesn't mean anything..... :wink:

That "salty" (I prefer dusty) scent is part of the real deal. Straight sandalwood EO is a very dry, balsamic sort of scent. If you like "fake" (for lack of a better word) sandalwood - meaning sweeter, there is the Vulfix product.

BTW, I don't smell much sandalwood in the Trafalgar. The top is heavy with jasmine and the heart notes are more cedar than sandalwood

CEDAR!!!! That's what I like. And, um, that's probably what I think of as Sandalwood, after your educatin' me...

I'm definately NOT looking for sweeter... I have too many sweet-category creams and I'm looking to try something more masculine. Maybe I'll give AOS another try. I haven't used it since it came out a few years ago.

It's the cedar that I like in the Trafalgar, Scotto. Thanks for schooling me.

Scotto, who makes it? I can't find anything called Pine & Cedarwood on QED's website.
(But it sounds real nice.)

Ah, you need to fly to Tangiers, meet Mr.X, and tell him "the swallows have returned to Capistrano". He will then give you the secret password....

Or, to navigate the impossibly bad QED website, go to the home page and look down the left side for "more fabulous toiletry products...". The soaps are listed there.

I just remembered I have a sample of Salter Sandalwood. It is supposed to be made with sandalwood essential oil. I never used the sample because when I smelled the scent, it was not as good as QED.

I suspect that it is made with sadalwood esential oil and blended with other scents. It didn't smell like the real thing to me.

If you like Cedar, try this from Bermuda. If you don't feel like buying the whole bottle, they have a sample package that you can purchase.

NYLaw said:
CEDAR!!!! That's what I like. And, um, that's probably what I think of as Sandalwood, after your educatin' me...

I'm definately NOT looking for sweeter... I have too many sweet-category creams and I'm looking to try something more masculine. Maybe I'll give AOS another try. I haven't used it since it came out a few years ago.

It's the cedar that I like in the Trafalgar, Scotto. Thanks for schooling me.

If you are looking for a cedar shave cream, try Charles Trywhitt Cedar & Lemon shave cream. The dominant scent is cedar.

At FOUR bucks a tub, I just ordered two... And a couple of shirts on sale too.
Check it out... FOUR bucks. Amazing.

Thanks for the tip- that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Now I just have to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for it. (Unlike Shavemac, where it takes 3 days from Germany, Tyrwhitt always take WEEKS for my orders!)

NYLaw said:
Anybody here try Salter's Sandalwood? I'm putting in an order to Classicshaving (for the SLANT bar- it's worth a shot) and I'm gettin' Salter's Fresh Mint because I've read it's a favorite of some veterans here (Joel, I think, for one), and I don't have a nice Sandalwood... I find most sandalwoods smell kind of salty, for lack of a better word. Especially the AOS- after a little while, it smells artificial and, well, salty? The only thing with a sandalwood undertone that I LOVE is the Truefitt Trafalgar.

So, any brief reviews (thumbs up or down) on Salter's Sandalwood would be greatly appreciated... Normally I'd just order the thing, but for $19 bucks, it's kind of steep!

Sorry - I just saw this.... I think the Salter Sandalwood is the best smelling sandalwood shaving cream - bar none. I know it is Charles' (QED) favorite sandalwood as well.

Give it a go - and if you don't like it, I'll trade ua something for it.

Joel,

Do you know if it's made with essential oil of sandalwood? Does it smell as good as QED's Sandalwood Shaving Soap? QED is the best sandalwood scent I have found so far.

Steve

Steve said:
Joel,

Do you know if it's made with essential oil of sandalwood? Does it smell as good as QED's Sandalwood Shaving Soap? QED is the best sandalwood scent I have found so far.

Steve

Steve,
It DOES contain legit sandalwood EO, HOWEVER it is not a PURE sandalwood as Charles' soap is. The Salter Sandalwood is a lot more complex, and really excites your senses. If you like just STRAIGHT sandalwood scent - then this might not be the right cream for you. If you like sandalwood scents as a whole - and just find QED's soap to be your favorite - then I highly recommend giving the Salter a go. You can smell the distinct whiff of pure mysore Sandalwood Oil - but you also get all sorts of REALLY out of this world touches of cinnimon, and other touches of delightfully masculine scents.... I suspect there is even a touch of bay rum in it. It has been some time since I have smelled Salter Sandalwood - but I remember being totally blown away by the scent, and I have tried to buy it on numerous occasions, however when I tend to place orders for some reason Charles happens to be out :frown: I really have an absurd amount of shaving cream and am largely uninterested in acquiring more.... however this is one I cannot see myself going without - too much longer.

Scent is very personal - and I know you can get a sample of it from Charles if you place an order, so that might be the way to go :biggrin:

Joel,

It sounds very interesting and reminds me of Taylor's Sandalwood, which is a blend of Sandawood and other scents. I like both pure sandalwood and sandalwood scents in general. If it has bay rum in it...that's ever better!

Steve

Top Bottom