What's new

Salter Almond Cream

I've noticed that this cream gets little forum attention, but has been mentioned as a favorite by Joel.

I was hoping to get a bit of input on this cream, particularly the scent. How does it compare to the more well-known almonds in terms of intensity, etc.?

TIA

Agent86 said:
I've noticed that this cream gets little forum attention, but has been mentioned as a favorite by Joel.

I was hoping to get a bit of input on this cream, particularly the scent. How does it compare to the more well-known almonds in terms of intensity, etc.?

TIA

Salter shaving creams as a whole are my favorite - however their almond last tub I had at least, was a little "light" on the scent. Salter Mint, Wild Rose, and Sandalwood are my favorite salter creams (their Sandalwood and Rose being my favorite rose/sandalwood scents of ANY cream).

The Salter Almond scent is very soothing and well rounded, but it isn't a "smack" you in the face potent almond... if you are looking for the best almond scented cream, it is my personal opinion Coate's Almond, and DR Harris Almond creams are tops - if I had to choose one, Coate's would be it, as it is incredibly"nutty" and smells like almond, not "cherry" like Taylors, Trumpers, etc.

Salter creams are superlative however, and I very much enjoy/prefer their "whipped" consistency as it is much easier to load/mix in your brush, and is not so "dense" that you really need to work it.

If I may however, I'd suggest trying Salter mint, rose or sandalwood (their sandalwood is really different from other sandalwoods)

Thanks for the quick reply, Joel. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I've been using the D.R. Harris almond, and the C&E almond. The Harris is very nice in aroma and performance, the C&E just doesn't do it for me...too floral and it seems to burn my face a bit. I find the "cherry" scent very appealing and just want to find one with more intensity.

The Coates sounds great...seems hard to find, though.

Agent86 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, Joel. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I've been using the D.R. Harris almond, and the C&E almond. The Harris is very nice in aroma and performance, the C&E just doesn't do it for me...too floral and it seems to burn my face a bit. I find the "cherry" scent very appealing and just want to find one with more intensity.

The Coates sounds great...seems hard to find, though.

If you like the "cherry" scented almonds - Sue has a superb and inexpensive shaving soap that is VERY potent (scent wise) you might want to check out here.

Trumper/Taylor/Truefitt all make superlative "cherry" like scented almond creams as well, but if you are a true almond "nut" like I, the Coate's is your ticket :smile:

I don't know how one could get a more almond/cherry scent than the one DR Harris almond cream offers. I love that stuff. Trumpers has a similar scent, but I find I like the DR Harris better. I have never tried the Coates (though a friend of mine says the scent is very subtle) or the Taylors. I would caution that the T&H almond, while having similar qualities in scent to DR Harris and Trumpers, also has a leathery note (to me, it smells kind of smoky). I didn't notice it just smelling the tub, but did notice it once it was lathered up. The cream performed well, but the scent kind of ruined it for me. With that said, many gents are perfectly happy with the T&H almond offering.

Drew

Drew said:
I don't know how one could get a more almond/cherry scent than the one DR Harris almond cream offers. I love that stuff. Trumpers has a similar scent, but I find I like the DR Harris better. I have never tried the Coates (though a friend of mine says the scent is very subtle) or the Taylors. I would caution that the T&H almond, while having similar qualities in scent to DR Harris and Trumpers, also has a leathery note (to me, it smells kind of smoky). I didn't notice it just smelling the tub, but did notice it once it was lathered up. The cream performed well, but the scent kind of ruined it for me. With that said, many gents are perfectly happy with the T&H almond offering.

Drew
Drew,
Your description of the T&H Almond Cream is right on. I sensed the same fragrance element (leathery), but was unable to put it to words. I can now cry out exactly why I do not like it!!!:w00t:
Thanks.

I will second what Joel says about Sue's Almond soap. It is AMAZING! I also got her Sandalwood and Savory Rose soaps. All three have an excellent smell.

Top Bottom