What's new

Salsa!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Summers coming...have you whipped out the salsa recipes? Got my salsa dance on this weekend and came up with a winner. Some might consider this hot sauce or down here in Texas we grew up calling it picante. This recipe has a nice smoked taste to it. Check this out:

Ingredients:

about a 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, handful of cilantro, 3 cloves garlic, 1 jalapeno, 1 serrano, 1/2 white onion, 1 chipotle pepper with about 1 spoonful of the adobo sauce(this comes in a can see below), juice from 1 lime, 1 can of dice tomatoes unsalted, salt and pepper.

Turn on oven to broil
place cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, serrano pepper and garlic on cookie sheet into oven. Stir around after a few minutes to get nice char. The garlic is the best part, it comes out like a sweet paste. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel the garlic before placing all above ingredients into small food processor. Blend till smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat with chips, breakfast taco or old 52 Ford bumper...Its makes everything good.
$empacadora-san-marcos-chipotle-94390.jpg

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
For breakfast with eggs and pork chops at the ranch:

peel the skin from some tomatoes, cut into small chunks, chop onion, garlic, and Serrano pepper.
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, add ingredients and cook until it all comes together. Salt and pepper to taste.
pour over eggs and chops.
oh my!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For breakfast with eggs and pork chops at the ranch:

peel the skin from some tomatoes, cut into small chunks, chop onion, garlic, and Serrano pepper.
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, add ingredients and cook until it all comes together. Salt and pepper to taste.
pour over eggs and chops.
oh my!

Yes sir...my wife and I do this often and it's a very fast way to add flavor and spice to any meal.

martym

Yes sir...my wife and I do this often and it's a very fast way to add flavor and spice to any meal.

Of course!
I just saw that you are from up North in Austin!
Any Texican worth his salt knows how to make several variations of salsa.
Enjoy the summer and the salsa!

I make my own salsa (most of the time). Nothing fancy just basic.

Tomatoes
tomatillos
green chilies
onion
garlic
minced celery
grated carrot (for sweetness)
hot peppers (what ever I have on hand)
cilantro
salt/pepper

cook it until it turns in to the consistency I am after.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mine is fairly basic and simple.

1 diced tomato
1 diced jalapeno
1 diced white onion (or red, or yellow)

No cooking, mix together and enjoy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Of course!
I just saw that you are from up North in Austin!
Any Texican worth his salt knows how to make several variations of salsa.
Enjoy the summer and the salsa!

Nice to meet you Marty. I grew up in Beeville. If you are from the south you know where that is...or isn't. The Mexican food in Beeville and the surrounding area is the best. I feel sorry for the guys who live further north who have never tried true south Texan Mexican food(Tex-Mex). Carne Guisada is my favorite and not always on the restaurant menus here in Austin. As for the picante, I picked up my recipe from a Mexican butcher in New Braunfels, Texas. He also showed me a verde sauce which is out of this world.

I make what seems to be called pico de gallo.

Roma Tomatos diced

Onion diced

Cilantro Leaves Chopped

Jalapeno Pepper minced

Juice of a lime

Salt

Let it set for atleast 4 hours Mix every hour.

It is very refreshing. You have to figure out the amount and ratio that you like but I usually go with about 12 roma Tomatoes 1 large onion 1 jalapeno and a handful of cilantro.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I make what seems to be called pico de gallo.

Roma Tomatos diced

Onion diced

Cilantro Leaves Chopped

Jalapeno Pepper minced

Juice of a lime

Salt

Let it set for atleast 4 hours Mix every hour.

It is very refreshing. You have to figure out the amount and ratio that you like but I usually go with about 12 roma Tomatoes 1 large onion 1 jalapeno and a handful of cilantro.

Thats exactly how I like too. Simple, easy and healthy. Goes good on any salad or fish.

As a salsa newbie, I love the taste of smoked tomato but can't figure out how to get that without grilling (which I typically am too lazy to do).

I've never heard of letting salsa cook, or marinate for hours - why is that? I'm wondering if I could make a decent salsa that way, as my pico de gallo isn't worth eating to be honest.

martym

Nice to meet you Marty. I grew up in Beeville. If you are from the south you know where that is...or isn't. The Mexican food in Beeville and the surrounding area is the best. I feel sorry for the guys who live further north who have never tried true south Texan Mexican food(Tex-Mex). Carne Guisada is my favorite and not always on the restaurant menus here in Austin. As for the picante, I picked up my recipe from a Mexican butcher in New Braunfels, Texas. He also showed me a verde sauce which is out of this world.

Nice to meet you sir!
My house sits 6ish miles from the U.S. Mexican Border.
Beans, rice, tortillas, carne guisada, salsa, and BBQ could/would/most often is a part of every meal. Also chicken and squash.
Learned cooking from my grandmother.
Austin is a wonderful place. A beautiful area.

martym

As a salsa newbie, I love the taste of smoked tomato but can't figure out how to get that without grilling (which I typically am too lazy to do).

I've never heard of letting salsa cook, or marinate for hours - why is that? I'm wondering if I could make a decent salsa that way, as my pico de gallo isn't worth eating to be honest.

we used to place tomatoes on the gas flames on the stove to get the skin off and give them a little smoked/charred flavor.

for uncooked salsa, it is just like soup or other items. The longer the flavors co-mingle, the better they taste.
Try adding an avocado or two. Just cut it into cubes.
Season with garlic salt. Makes a big difference in the flavor.
I like to keep it very simple.

tomato, onion, cilantro, Serrano or jalapeño, avocado, lime juice, and garlic salt to taste.
Allow all ingredients to have a conjugal visit and then enjoy!
try it and let me know if it works for you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

That's why I place the onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes and peppers under the broiler in the oven-see post #1. I just broil them long enough to create a black char. It gives it a nice subtle smoke flavor. Really good tomatoes are the real secret to a good hot sauce or salsa, but they are hard to come by. The farmers market has pretty good tomatoes in the summer but its hit and miss. Broiling(not boiling) a bad tomato can make it come alive(to a point). Some of the canned tomatoes are fire roasted but I prefer to roast them myself. The chipolte pepper in the adobo sauce is real smokey and a flavor that is truly great.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice to meet you sir!
My house sits 6ish miles from the U.S. Mexican Border.
Beans, rice, tortillas, carne guisada, salsa, and BBQ could/would/most often is a part of every meal. Also chicken and squash.
Learned cooking from my grandmother.
Austin is a wonderful place. A beautiful area.

Ever been to Langtry?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bump.

Its just time to bring out a fresh life. Salsa can bring that out. It tastes like health to me so I eat it all the time. Get back to work...have a little faith in the salsa.

Saute crushed red peppers & finely chopped Garlic in oil, cool, blend until smooth, adding a little salt & light squeeze of lime.

Great with chips, or mix with equal part of soy sauce & brush on salmon fillets & grill.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bump.

Its just time to bring out a fresh life. Salsa can bring that out. It tastes like health to me so I eat it all the time. Get back to work...have a little faith in the salsa.
You know what- maybe that is why I am in a funk. Since all the restaurants closed up, I haven’t had any salsa.

Top Bottom