What's new

Salsa bowl rocks!

I admit it freely - I'm a canned foam dude, have been for a long time and it works for me.

In starting this DE adventure, I picked up what would appear to be a low cost favorite (ARKO) and an Omega brush and attempted to use it. Didn't go so hot, and I suspect it's because I was impatient on trying lather on my face. So on to trial numero 2, where I smashed the ARKO stick into a denture cup so it wouldn't be a mess. That worked well, and when I tried to lather in that little bowl with the soap in it, again it was so-so, but not terribly good (or as good as my canned foam anyway). After doing some reading on here about the Walmart/Dollarstore salsa bowl, I went over and got one.

In doing more reading/research, I found that most folks seemed to "rough up" the inside of the bowl, either by using a knife to score the inside or some low grit sandpaper. I liked the idea of the knife, but didn't think the little bit of scoring would make a difference, especially after pulling up pics of some of the dedicated lather bowls from various manufacturers. So I busted out a soldering iron and put an old, messed up tip on it and went to town making large #'s all over the bowl's insides. Not too deep as to go through the bowl, but deep enough to put permanent ridges all over the surface.

Fast forward to this morning, I soaked the Omega brush in the salsa bowl with hot water while I showered, then dumped the bowl and loaded the brush with some ARKO from the denture cup. It started to foam in the denture cup, so I moved over to the salsa bowl and let 'er rip.

Holy cow did it make some lather, and it only took a minute or two! I had a TON - more than I knew what to do with easily, I could rip out a 3 pass and still had foam in the dish for minor touch ups. Cleaned up easy, not worried if I drop it, and holds all the gear well. Salsa bowl is solid!! Frugal shaving approved from this guy! :thumbup:

Now to find a B&BW that has COBigelo so I can try some cream in it. The one near by only has the canned foam, no creams.

Soon, the urge to buy a scuttle will hit! Then, you can join the LOBOS (Love Our Bowls Or Scuttles) group.

Excellent! Glad your lathering went well.

I bowl lather, too, but my wife just told me to pick a scuttle off of Etsy and she would buy it for me for Fathers' Day. Score!

Sounds nice! Those salsa bowls get a lot of good press around here - and the texturing that you added will make a difference. My first textured bowl, a Turkish copper shaving bowl, made lathering a lot easier.

(Full disclosure: I always preach the Turkish copper shaving bowls on threads like this.)

I picked one up about a year ago before I started face lathering it worked pretty great and for a 1.50 can't got wrong. Now I use it in the sink to soak my brush before shaves.

Sounds nice! Those salsa bowls get a lot of good press around here - and the texturing that you added will make a difference. My first textured bowl, a Turkish copper shaving bowl, made lathering a lot easier.

(Full disclosure: I always preach the Turkish copper shaving bowls on threads like this.)

I saw your post about the Turkish bowls after I had picked up the salsa bowl. It's an awesome piece of copper, that's for sure - and the cost I saw them at wasn't that bad either. Don't really know if I need TWO lather bowls, but if I do that Turkish bowl would be a solid second...

I saw your post about the Turkish bowls after I had picked up the salsa bowl. It's an awesome piece of copper, that's for sure - and the cost I saw them at wasn't that bad either. Don't really know if I need TWO lather bowls, but if I do that Turkish bowl would be a solid second...

I don't know if there is an "acquisition disorder" for lather bowls, but if so, I'm at risk. I have a few. But the Turkish copper one is my favorite, and I haven't bought anything else since.

There seems to be no shortage of them, so if you ever decide to go for one, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Count me in as a salsa bowl fan. I just used a big drill bit and scored it up really good by hand. It works well enough that I don't need to try anything else.

Top Bottom