What's new

Sally's experence

Decided to try DE last week. Ended up at Sally's after trying 3 other places. Since I was experimenting, I didn't want to spend too much. The friendly young lady behind the counter sold me a Chinese TTO for 12.99 and 10 Derby Extras for 2.99. The derby pulled slightly the first few strokes but got better with use. My wife found my Grandfathers (Great-grandfathers?) 3 piece Gillette so I tried it this morning. Experiment successful.

Great to hear! Tell us about your grandfather's razor. Better yet, post pics of the razor, and we'll help you ID it.

$IMAG0136.jpgHandle is black,knurled with 6 flutes and is heavy for its size. Brass guard and top.

Last edited:
Sweet! The handle (at least) is a late-WW2 production contract Tech handle for the War Department. That handle corresponds with extant, date-confirmed examples. The razor head could well be part of the original razor set, as Gillette and Gem scrambled at times to meet production quotas.

The handle's black for a reason, so don't go overboard should you desire to clean it.

Soaked it in vinegar and wiped it down. May do a little more polishing on the head.

I second the being careful about cleaning the tech. I was lucky enough to score a near mint condition ww2 tech off of ebay. Im scared to use it because I don't want anything to happen to the powder coating.

Welcome aboard!
Lot's to learn, here, just take your time!
Thanks for the pics and story, goes to show that wet-shaving is more than just an exercise, it touches on tradition, family history, etc.

Sally's also carries clubman products (stache wax, After Shave Lotion, styptics) the also carry Masters Bay Rum, Jeris Hair Tonic and some other cool finds.

1) welcome, and great razor.
2) Sally's... I tried them today and this one only seems to have the cheap razor, some derby blades, not Pinaud, No Bay Rhum :( made me sad. :(

Top Bottom