What's new

Salicylic Acid as an Aftershave

I had seen a article here in the Skin, Body and Hair Care mentioning the use of Salicylic acid after shaving. I looked up this acne medication and found a few things out about it.
  1. Topical salicylic acid treats acne by reducing swelling and redness and unplugging blocked skin pores to allow pimples to shrink. It treats other skin conditions by softening and loosening dry, scaly, or thickened skin so that it falls off or can be removed easily.
  2. Do not apply topical salicylic acid to skin that is broken, red, swollen, irritated, or infected. (source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607072.html)
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had a rough shave one day and I was worried about razor bumps so I applied it and it BURNED. My face was as dry as the desert.
Well we know that shaving removes a fair amount of dead skin cells and irritates the skin to some extent. We also would think. "Why would I use a product that would irritates the skin more?"

Share your experiences and your position on using salicylic acid as an aftershave.
[/FONT]

There was an earlier thread somewhere about this.
salacylic acid is used to exfoliate skin and gunk.
instead, alum block is more effective and less destructive.

The word "acid" sounds nasty, but it doesn't necessarily mean burning, redness, or pain/irriatation. I have extremely sensitive skin. For reference, AOS Sandalwood and MdC feel like burning on my face and result in redness.

With that said, I would not knock salicylic acid (e.g. BHA exfoliants) for use post shave. This stuff feels as gentle as water on my skin, is non-drying, and does wonders for my complexion:
$paulas-choice-bha-exfoliant.jpg

I shave, use the above BHA, and finish with a light unscented face lotion. Been doing this for the past couple months and have completely stopped using my old alcohol-based after shaves and balms. I don't intend to go back. I don't generally get "rough shaves" though. I can't personally speak to how this stuff reacts to already irritated skin, but nothing generally feels good on that.

Last edited:
Interesting. I know some people have different sensitivity's to aftershaves, creams/soaps, and pre-shave oil.

My post shave consists of:

Cold water splash,
Clinique Scruffing Lotion on a cotton pad,
Aftershave (lotion or balm depending on the season),
Clinique Moisturizer if required.

The "Scruffing Lotion" (or "Exfoliating Tonic" as its now labeled) contain Witchhazel and Salicylic Acid among other things and is intended to be used as an aftershave spot treatment of sorts. The nice thing about the old system of Scruffing Lotions was you could select higher concentrations depending on your skin type. The new "Exfoliating Tonic" (not to be confused with a scrub), albeit still good, is one size fits all.

$29524_01.jpg$CLINIQUE-FOR-MEN-Exfoliating-Tonic.jpg

I've been doing this for 15 years with excellent results.

As a lifelong Dandruff fighter i will tell you that is some rough stuff and i would keep it away from my face. It is the active ingredient in Head and Shoulders, etc. When the edges of my scalp act up (stress induced) i use a concentrated version it it and it burns a bit.

As a lifelong Dandruff fighter i will tell you that is some rough stuff and i would keep it away from my face. It is the active ingredient in Head and Shoulders, etc. When the edges of my scalp act up (stress induced) i use a concentrated version it it and it burns a bit.
Thanks for the advice! :)

I think a lot depends on the concentration.

I like to use Alum first thing after a shave and then use Witch Hazel or a WH SA mix. You make the mix by crushing some aspirin and mixing it with the WH. Queens great on ingrown hairs. The Alum will burn on any irritation be not the WH or WH mix.

Do you have some less-known variation of H&S? I use it once a week, and the standard stuff has pyrithione zinc and the clinical strength has selenium sulfide as the active ingredient. I agree that I don't particularly like the stuff touching my face though.

Do you have some less-known variation of H&S? I use it once a week, and the standard stuff has pyrithione zinc and the clinical strength has selenium sulfide as the active ingredient. I agree that I don't particularly like the stuff touching my face though.
Generic stuff. I saw it at the local supermarket last evening. 3% Salicylic acid.

I found this aftershave for when I start to get some irritation on my neck (red bumps):

$s1187871-main-hero-300.jpg

It has salicylic acid as one of the ingredients. It really works for reducing redness and irritation. I don't use it as my "everyday" aftershave balm, but occasionally. You can easily get samples as places like Sephora.

As well, Kiehl's makes a similar product with salicylic acid:

$_5843485.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a sample of it. I like some of Kiehl's products (not their shave cream, though).

The Kiehl's product works quite well. It seems pricey, but it's a decent size bottle that will last awhile. I have very oily skin and am prone to ingrowns and most ASB's will cause acne for me. If you have dry and/or sensitive skin it probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Top Bottom