What's new

Salad Dressings

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Summer is on us now. At least it is down here. A nice light cold salad just hits the spot. I love a good fresh homemade salad dressing. Honestly I didn't make it all that often in past. Recently I stumbled upon two very different and refreshing dressing I thought I would share. Give them a try.

Give us yours too.

Southwest Fiesta Dressing

Whisk together 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 2 tablespoons minced onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Makes about 1 cup.

Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1 tablespoon lime juice
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 pinch white sugar (optional)
1/2 cup olive oil

DIRECTIONS: 1. Blend the red wine vinegar, honey, mustard, lime juice, pepper, salt, paprika, garlic, onion, oregano, and sugar together in a blender until thoroughly mixed. Drizzle the olive oil into the mixture while blending on low. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

-allrecipes

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I will be following this post. I like a good dressing, but they put too much garbage in the commercial stuff

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Southwest Fiesta Dressing is good on top of enchiladas or in a taco. I like to crumble a little corn chips in the salad instead of croutons.

Someone here (maybe Aaron) once posted a jalapeno sauce/dip that IIRC was just pickled jalapenos (and juice form the bottle) thrown in a blender with sour cream.
That's one of my favorite easy sauces and I adapted it into a great dressing.

1/4 to 1/2 bottle pickled jalapenos with juice (depending how hot you want it)
1 container sour cream (I use low fat or substitute 1/2 yogurt to keep it "healthier")
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper.
handful of cilantro, rough chopped.

Throw all in blender and blend the bejeezus out of it. Taste and adjust spices and heat. It'll be a little runny, but if you put it in fridge for a little while it will thicken up some.

ftfy

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom