What's new

Sake? Your favorites for under $20.00?

Finishing off a bottle of Tentaka Kuni ("Hawk in the Heavens"), a Junmai grade, this evening (which set me back all of about $10.00), got me to thinking there most be some members here with suggestions about other well-made, but value-priced sakes. After all, elsehwhere on B&B there's been a thread comparing pho vs. ramen. So, out with opinions. Speak up.

From the nifty back label on this bottle, one can learn that Junmai and Tokubetsu Junmai grade sakes are in the top ~13% of premium grade (with Junmai Ginjo & Junmai Daigonjo in the top 2.5%; and Daigonjo in the next echelon at 3.2% of all sake production in Japan).

While I'm clearly in over my head here, the label also tells me that Tentaka Kuni comes from the Tochigi Prefecture and is made from Gohyakumangoku rice. That wasn't easy to spell or type. Anyway, whatever it is and wherever in Japan it is brewed, it is a far sight better than most of other low priced sakes I've tried (let's say at the $10 to $20 per 750ml price range).

What do you like???

My go-to, which is also the best bang-for-the-buck that I've found is Dassai 50. It's available in the US too. The 50 refers to the amount of polish to the rice and makes this one a ginjo.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
SWMBO had this bottle since before I met her ('97).
Gekkeikan Black & Gold
proxy.php

Opened it up tonight and had about 8oz of hot sake. Much darker than I remember the last sake I had, but it tastes good enough and has given me a little buzz.

Last edited:
Yup, that one comes in at less than $20. Have had it. It's good hot. I prefer cold sakes mostly which typically are better when you opt for the expensive spread.

SWMBO had this bottle since before I met her ('97).
Gekkeikan Black & Gold
proxy.php

Opened it up tonight and had about 8oz of hot sake. Much darker than I remember the last sake I had, but it tastes good enough and has given me a little buzz.

Top Bottom