What's new

Safety Razors With Handles That Thread (Screw) Into The Cap Through A Hole In The Plate

The headline says it all. I like safety razors with handles that screw/thread into the cap, passing through a hole in the plate. There's just something about them. More minimalist, I guess. It seems like a simpler way to attach the pieces of a razor together, with fewer parts that can break off or rust. And, most of these type of razors seem to be quite solid and heavy, and appear (to me) to predate the razors that attach the more usual way. However, I haven't noticed many of these type of razors around. Darwins are the most well known, of course, and obviously the most "high end". On a more humble level, there's the (plastic?, bakelite?) Contact Propeller razor. In any event, here's my contribution to the search: Two Empire Razors from Australia (Gumtree acquisitions). I'd be really pleased to see if anyone else has come across any other brands.

Empire Razors1.JPG Empire Razors2.JPG Empire Razors3.JPG Empire Razors4.JPG Empire Razors5.JPG Empire Razors6.JPG Empire Razors7.JPG

I have the Rex Envoy and the Blackland blackbird that would meet your criteria if i am understanding this right.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have the Rex Envoy and the Blackland blackbird that would meet your criteria if i am understanding this right.

I guess I was thinking about vintage safety razors, and should have mentioned that. But that's my mistake, and its too late now. So, I'll just open up the search request to include any safety razors that attach this way, why not? However, as always, photos or it doesn't exist!

Darwin Deluxe and Standard,1933,Sheffield.
First stainless steel DE razors ever made.
Handle screws in at the cap,
through the baseplate.

Also Asylum Evolution DE Razor ,a modern copy of the Darwin Deluxe.

The Asylum Evolution, a copy of the vintage (and very hard to find) Darwin, is like that.
<edit>
I should refresh my page more often.

Huh...Well, I had a look at the images of some modern razors that I hadn't looked at before (being an avowed and unapologetic fan of only vintage safety razors).

And, yes, SCh5 and emwolf, the Asylum Evolution (the modern Darwin "tribute" razor) would indeed qualify for inclusion within this, my very first thread.

But, having looked at the Rex Envoy and the Blackland Blackbird, I would have to say a respectful "no" to Ketotrader, these two razors that you have suggested would not, unless I'm missing something, have the characteristics that this thread is referring to.

Thanks to all, in any event, for giving this thread some life. I don't believe that this topic has actually been covered specifically in a thread on B and B yet, which comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Hopefully others will also find it of interest.

Last edited:
Darwin Deluxe and Standard,1933,Sheffield.
First stainless steel DE razors ever made.
Handle screws in at the cap,
through the baseplate.

Also Asylum Evolution DE Razor ,a modern copy of the Darwin Deluxe.

Here's some photos of a Darwin Deluxe, so that others can see more clearly what we're talkin' about:

Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 1.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 4.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 5.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 7.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 8.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 10.JPG Darwin Deluxe Razor, Sheffield, England, cobalt steel 11.JPG

Huh...Well, I had a look at the images of some modern razors that I hadn't looked at before (being an avowed and unapologetic fan of only vintage safety razors).

And, yes, SCh5 and emwolf, the Asylum Evolution (the modern Darwin "tribute" razor) would indeed qualify for inclusion within this, my very first thread.

But, having looked at the Rex Envoy and the Blackland Blackbird, I would have to say a respectful "no" to Ketotrader, these two razors that you have suggested would not, unless I'm missing something, have the characteristics that this thread is referring to.

Thanks to all, in any event, for giving this thread some life. I don't believe that this topic has actually been covered specifically in a thread on B and B yet, which comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Hopefully others will also find it of interest.
The pictures have helped me work it out. I understand now that you mean into a threaded hole in the top cap. The blackbird has a collar that passes through the baseplate. Different than most razors, but not fitting this thread.

These are interesting, I've never seen a razor that does this before.

The pictures have helped me work it out. I understand now that you mean into a threaded hole in the top cap. The blackbird has a collar that passes through the baseplate. Different than most razors, but not fitting this thread.

These are interesting, I've never seen a razor that does this before.

Thanks Sinnbad11. I did find it a bit hard to explain what I was getting at, in that most razor's handles do indeed attach to the cap, through the plate. The only difference I'm seeing is the presence or lack thereof of the "bolt like threaded thingy" attached to the cap. Surely there's a real name for this piece that someone more knowledgeable will advise in due course, I hope. Another difference I'm noticing is the general solidness, weight and quality feel to these type of razors, although I can't comment on the Contact Propeller (perhaps it's better than it looks?)

Actually,there is a mechanical stress difference between the standard and the “darwin” and “darwin-like” razor head .

In the case of standard ,the handle’s threading is being compressed ,while the cap screw threads are being pulled.( fig A ,handle is nut,cap is the bolt)
8A3C49C7-CE5D-472E-8C69-060F18CCE634.jpeg

On the other hand ,on the odd
“Darwin/darwin like” joint ,
the handle’s threading is being pulled ,while the cap’s threads are being compressed.
(fig A again ,but now handle is bolt ,cap is nut )

I’m not quite sure though ,which are the actual gains vs impacts ( pros vs cons ) of each approach and in what way & degree they affect the razor as a simple machine .

Last edited:
Actually,there is a mechanical stress difference between the standard and the “darwin” and “darwin-like” razor head .

On the other hand ,on the odd
“Darwin/darwin like” joint ,
the handle’s threading is being pulled ,while the cap’s threads are being compressed.
(fig A again ,but now handle is bolt ,cap is nut )

I’m not quite sure though ,which are the actual gains vs impacts ( pros vs cons ) of each approach and in what way & degree they affect the razor as a simple machine .

Well, I'll be darned. Who knew? That's fantastic, SCh5! I'm pretty sure that I like both threading methods just about equally, and really have no discernable preference between the two methods, at least at this early stage of the exploration. But, who knows, maybe you'll manage to start a whole new debate here on B. + B., complete with much toing and froing among the razorati whether "the pull" is superior to "the compression". Or, maybe I've just missed this debate, and it's actually been going on for some period of time. If so, my apologies and certainly no offence intended! (Insert appropriate smiley thing here)

Well, I'll be darned. Who knew? That's fantastic, SCh5! I'm pretty sure that I like both threading methods just about equally, and really have no discernable preference between the two methods, at least at this early stage of the exploration. But, who knows, maybe you'll manage to start a whole new debate here on B. + B., complete with much toing and froing among the razorati whether "the pull" is superior to "the compression". Or, maybe I've just missed this debate, and it's actually been going on for some period of time. If so, my apologies and certainly no offence intended! (Insert appropriate smiley thing here)

Sorry if the above sounds snarky. It wasn't meant that way at all. It was meant to be funny. My humour doesn't always translate that well.

Very interesting. I never thought of this. Since there are extreme opinions here on every possible subject, I look forward to hearing more. But I must say, the razors pictured are quite beautiful.

Probably the weak spot in any 3 piece is the threaded part. The conventional stud attached to the inside of the top cap can shear off or corrode through. Usually this is only a problem on pot metal cast heads. A thread through the top cap only has 2-3 turns and could strip or cross and fail. Also the extra bit of thread sticking out could scratch your face. No perfect solutions. The concensus seems to be the threaded stub. I use a Darwin sometimes and it works fine. The very hard metal is very unlikely to strip.

The pictures helped clarify what were looking for....Agree that the rex and brassbird do not qualify....interesting....everything depends on the threading on the handle to securely hold the blade... would it be more durable than current modern razors

Haha, man rub it in why dont ya! That open comb is rarer tthan hens teeth!! Nice!!!

Here’s a shot of my Darwins - and we should not forget the latter one (which I expect to stumble upon any day now :biggrin1:)...

2CC8E4F4-BEA4-44CB-A480-744DC83A5F79.png
70A71075-A7A6-4475-8649-0A2FE91AA7C4.png

Last edited:
Haha, man rub it in why dont ya! That open comb is rarer tthan hens teeth!! Nice!!!

Hello Northstonehill. I'm glad to see your post, I didn't want to be seen to be talking about you behind your back! Love that Darwin Original. Talk about minimal looking.

Top Bottom