What's new

Safety Razor vs Modern Triple Blade

Hey guys, a few months ago i switched to a lathering shaving cream (from the cans of goo), then about a month after that I switched to a merkur hd safety razor. I have been playing around with different blades trying to get the best results possible. My technique has improved a lot and I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I use an alum block to kind of gauge my performance. the more it hurts the harsher i was on my face. However, this morning I was in a rush so I just shaved with a generic triple blade razor. I did one WTG then relathered and did one across the grain and relathered and did one against the grain. I don't know if its just my inexperience with the safety razor or what, but this morning's triple blade shave was very close, and gave me almost no razor burn.

Should i just keep working on my technique with the safety razor or should i just give in and use the "new" blades. Basically, do you guys, honestly find a safety razor to give you a closer shave with less irritation than the new triple blade types?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

It takes no technique to get a good shave with a cartridge razor. They are almost foolproof. With the pivoting heads, they make irritation almost impossible. But with the increase of blades, even the pivoting heads can't guarantee a irritation free shave. The key here is to go with what you enjoy. I get a great shave with the Atra, but overtime I build up irritation. With the DE, and yes, some practice, I get a better shave now because irritation is not an issue. Only you can decide what you want to use. A number of gents here use the brush and quality cream or soap, only to remove it with a cartridge razor. Do what you are most comfortable with. And if you get a bit of ribbing over it, don't worry about it.

Randy

I agree that the modern cartridge razor is pretty fool proof. But I enjoy the DE more and because I cannot shave ATG I get a better shave with a DE. Also there is an economic argument for using the DE. Having said that, us DE users are in the minority these days -- we can buy a Sensor/Mach3/Fusion/etc. cartridge at any supermarket/drugstore but we have to go searching for a supply of DE blades. So, feel free to do what you prefer you'll be in good company whatever you do.

I migrated from canned Noxzema to brush & cream about 18 months ago.

This was for me the greatest improvement in the fight against irritation. I used to shave a couple of times a week as my neck looked like a battle zone, now I can shave every day. I continued using my M3 but have experimented with single blade razors in the pursuit of a closer shave.

I've infrequently used a Gillette DE and have recently purchased a Schick Injector. The Injector gives me a closer shave than the M3 and is more forgiving of technique than a DE, but when time is at a premium, I reach for the M3 as I find it virtually impossible to cut myself. Having used the M3 for such a long time, I could probably shave blindfold with it.

Use whatever suits you best

Rob

M2cW:

Pre-DE for me ment 1 WTG shave every other day
leaving me, pretty much, "with stubble" 24 / 7.
NOW.....
6 months later I am shaving 5-6 times a week and
even though I am still fighting neck issues (acct: operator error)
I have a BBS mug about 75% of the time.

Is it worth it ???
You Betcha ! :badger: :thumbup:

Hey Jeff,

I switched from goo-in-a-can to a brush and quality creams about six months ago, and stwitched from a M3 to DE a couple months after that. The M3 is great cause it is very forgiving and harder to cause razor burn. However, when I went ATG with it it would leave me with an ingrown hair or two. Now that I have developed my technique a bit with the DE I can go ATG without getting ingrown hairs and with very little to zero irritation. If I am in a rush I will use the M3, but I usually go with the DE, take it a bit slower, and even get ATG BBS if I feel like it. The goo-in-a-can however...

M

modern man

I was a M3 user and sure when you take a break and go back you can get a good shave but after a week of doing so it tore my face up.

I say go with what works for you but I recommend keeping with the DE. Its fun to learn.
:cool:

cool guys,
thats what I needed to hear. I do plan on keeping it up with the DE. I know I will get better and I am about to receive a sampler pack of blades to try with it. Also, I feel some sort of strange likeness to a razor that is so heavy that I could knock someone out with it if I needed. Then say something like "they'll call anything a safety razor theses days."

and no, I had no intention at all of switching back to a can of goo.

I would have to say that the only way I can use a cartridge razor is in the shower. If I use it wet shaving I get razor burn and irritation. I am using the murker now and the irritation on my neck is starting to disapear.

The single biggest difference in shave quality is good prep, as has been noted before. Toss out that can of goo and use a good cream and brush and you are most of the way there. As for cartridge razors, it is trivial to get a good shave, but often difficult to get a great shave day after day without irritation. A DE is a better proposition, but takes time to master.

I agree with Scotto, in that implementing a brush and a high quality cream, coupled with proper prep, should yield grossly better results than what you had become accustomed to with canned foam. If you are satisfied with the shave quality you've been acheiving with your Mach 3, and don't mind paying a little more for the refills, by all means, stick with the Mach 3, or whatever cartridge you prefer. I read a post here once that stated some thing to the effect of, "...the best razor is the one that works for YOU." I couldn't agree more.

It was not until I went DE that it stopped hurting when I stoked the hairs on my neck Against the Grain.

I only miss the pivoting head when shaving my chin...

M

modern man

It was not until I went DE that it stopped hurting when I stoked the hairs on my neck Against the Grain.

I only miss the pivoting head when shaving my chin...

Use both, It may be the way my friend.

ATG passes with the M3 burn the :eek: out of me. One time is ok, but trying to use up a blade 3 or 4 days in a row is a disaster for my face. I never noticed before because I only did a with grain pass, but back then I didn't care how close my shave was.

My experience has been:

Once I got past the pain of going through the learning curve, that everyone has to do, my shaves are more comfortable, closer than I can get with a Mach 3.

I would say I do 99.9 percent of the shave with a DE, aka a safety razor. In my case, the Merkur Long Handle. To shave off the micro stubble, I then use my M3 to then get the rest and achieve a BBS, like under the chin. It's a Very Rewarding feeling not to have to change cartridges every 3 days. What I don't like about the M3, is that it feels like a cheese grater against my face.

My DE on the other hand, feels like a satin sheet against my face. And I never thought I'd get the hang of it from day one.

But in the end, I'd like to see you choose the instrument that you think gives you the most comfortable, closest shave. A shave you'll look forward to every morning.

Good luck with your decision.

Use both, It may be the way my friend.

I too use both, primarily because there are area on my face that a Mach 3 simply will not cut closely, most notably, around the corners of my mouth. I also think a DE does better work on my upper cheeks, too. For me, a Mach 3 does a lot of the work, but my Merkur HD is the only way I can acheive that BBS finish in many areas.

I've been using a brush and soap for well over a decade now, and would never switch back to canned goo. I enjoy both the luxury of the brush and the economics of shaving soaps.

I finally switched to DE's about 8 months ago and found that, despite a learning curve, I can now shave equally close with both a DE and Mach 3 with little irritation. However, I enjoy using a DE much, much more.

I like the fact that I can purchase a year's supply of blades for what I typically spent on a month's worth or cartridges for my Mach 3. I like the history of DE shaving and actively taking part in that history every time I shave. I like wondering about the pervious owners of my DE's -- who were they, were did they live, how did they shave, etc. I like being forced to slow down and enjoy my shave, as it gives me a moment for myself without interuption, frustration, or aggrivation. And I like knowing that my razors will, one day, be passed down to my children either to use or simply remember me by when I'm gone.

I chose to switch to DE's due to cost, but I choose to remain with them for countless reasons -- and you couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

As previously stated by others here -- find what works for you and stick with it. If you simply use your DE on the weekend, or chose to give it up entirely, no one else can tell you what will work best for you. Whatever your decision, I'm sure you'll still find many friends here at B&B!

Merry Christmas!

thanks for the many comments. i will keep using the de to work on my technique and among other reason, i do just like it better...

thanks guys
-Jeff

Top Bottom