What's new

Safety razor set for travel?

If I didn't already own it all, I would get a RazoRock stainless razor (Game Changer or Lupo, with whatever base plate and handle you prefer), and one of their waxed canvas razor pouches. Then google what blades are common in the market you will be travelling to and try a couple tucks of each so you know which ones you want to buy when you arrive. Add a Wee Scot or small synthetic brush and your favorite soap. Good to go!

I have the Merkur 46C travel set. Excellent razor, comes with a leather case. The razor breaks down into a two-piece head, as does the handle and there's a spot for a tuck of blades as well. Comes with a pack of Merkur blades of which I would dispose of and use what you prefer. Shaves terrifically and is my go to for travel. Fendrihans has them and the US conversion from 112 Can means you get a good price.

To me, any 3 pieces razor - modern & vintage - with a medium / light weight is a good choice for travel. You can disassemble & store them more easily in a compact box or a pouch.

And to add an extra protection to the head, i use the Mühle protection in hard plastic -->
ori-protection-rasoir-de-surete-muhle-ksr-103_78.jpg

Since the head of my RFB #44, my UK Tech #24 & my Henckels HD were too thin / flat for the geometry of this protection, i made a small wedge in carton & framed with piece of scotch tape to waterproof it, in order to compensate the missing height.

So you will not need to worry about any bent incident on your razor when you travel.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Think of a Gillette Fatboy-sized razor that fits neatly into a box of blades and stores five blades inside.

It really exists, it's "Travalong" and it was included in the SAC's list of ejection seats and bomber survival equipment.

Such a design may not be suitable for everyday use, but in terms of travel or collection, the Travalong is indeed, as they claim, the most compact razor in the world.
img_1_1658517918860.jpg

Think of a Gillette Fatboy-sized razor that fits neatly into a box of blades and stores five blades inside.

It really exists, it's "Travalong" and it was included in the SAC's list of ejection seats and bomber survival equipment.

Such a design may not be suitable for everyday use, but in terms of travel or collection, the Travalong is indeed, as they claim, the most compact razor in the world.
View attachment 1492320
Excellent! So this is the SAC issued razor I have seen referenced.

It is in SAC in - house literature, it is mentioned as first being issued in 1958, but I could find no picture or description of it.

Thanks @ERS4 !

Iridian

Cool and slimy
There is a catch here.

For traveling by car or train you can take whatever you like. Or what you feel comfortable to lose if you forget it somewhere.

By plane things get more complicated. A single DE blade can already be a problem and then it comes down to a cartridge razor like a Mach 3 or Fusion.

Here's a cool little travel set. Made in Germany 1920's. The underside of the baseplate is stamped Kronenberg Solingen Germany. It is the smallest travel razor I own in a metal case. The name Kroenenberg is usually associated with vintage highly desired straight razors. I had a pleasant shave today with it. Similar feel to the thin cap old type Gillette's, a bit on the aggressive side.

IMG_4259.jpeg

Here's a cool little travel set. Made in Germany 1920's. The underside of the baseplate is stamped Kronenberg Solingen Germany. It is the smallest travel razor I own in a metal case. The name Kroenenberg is usually associated with vintage highly desired straight razors. I had a pleasant shave today with it. Similar feel to the thin cap old type Gillette's, a bit on the aggressive side.

View attachment 1492480
Led back to this post by my current Travalong activity I thought I would mention that the old style skeleton key above is from my 1930's childhood home in Laurel. It is the only key remaining for all the old traditional keyhole locks in the house. Who in here is old enough to remember that you can actually peek through the keyhole?

I like 3 piece razors too but for traveling how about TTO razor? Much easier to change blades on the go (in hotels rooms/ bathrooms).

For travel I typically bring my Parker 97R (my only zamac razor). It's cheap, it's small (same as the Merkur 34C) and shaves really well. Better than the Merkur and better build quality! My more expensive stuff stays home. If I lose the Parker, I'm out of less than $30. For blades, I'll go to a local store at my destination or put the blades in checked luggage (if I have any checked luggage).
The other option if I don't want to deal with all that is to just bring a disposable if it's a short trip. I don't like them but it's OK for a couple days. I don't like the idea that they end up in a landfill so I avoid them as much as possible.
But if I have to use one, my choice for those are the single edge Bic's like the regular orange ones or the Metal one.

Last edited:
I like 3 piece razors too but for traveling how about TTO razor? Much easier to change blades on the go (in hotels rooms/ bathrooms).
Agree but there is something about compact travel sets that attracts me over the mechanical TTO. I like the fact that it is a full size razor but breaks down to go into a cool little case. Some can be very expensive but most are not.

Pondering OP's original question: Just came to me that any razor makes a great travel razor. Razor, soap, brush, and blades can be packed in a small hard drive case. If flying put the blades in checked baggage. I wouldn't travel with an expensive razor though.

@LRod: "The other option if I don't want to deal with all that is to just bring a disposable if it's a short trip."
Blasphemy! You can't say that in here. Against forum rules. Don't want to get the bant stick.

@LRod: "The other option if I don't want to deal with all that is to just bring a disposable if it's a short trip."
Blasphemy! You can't say that in here. Against forum rules. Don't want to get the bant stick.
I thought long and hard before I wrote that. I feel ashamed now!🤣

Thanks to everyone that posted here. I have the travel dilemma and I've learned a lot by reading this, thank you.

I've ordered the Lord L6 and we'll make some kind of a small case for it.

Depends on travel method. Driving, pack a Wilkinson plastic DE razor amd travel brush. Travels well and gives a passable shave.

Flying, take the easy out and pack a Gillette Sensor Excel razor.

When I travel, regardless of mode, I always take items that are not expensive and easily replaced. I have had very good results using a Gillette Guard, Omega Synthetic brush, and Arko shave stick. Finish with small (2 oz.) containers of Skin Bracer and Witch Hazel. Works even in the hardest of water. Not fancy, but good shaves.

Attachments

• 370E2D76-4D70-4FCC-8701-045DC361B11F.jpeg
    370E2D76-4D70-4FCC-8701-045DC361B11F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
When I travel, I use an electric but for grins and giggles, I just bought this Travel Tech set from a seller on ebay for $14 shipped. Razor needs cleaned but I can handle that.

proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I travel a ton. I’ve settled on rotating between a Pearl Flexi and the Blackland ERA. Both are super capable razors, and not too speedy, and easily replaced. I use a shave stick, and a 23 mm STF brush. Then I take a tiny bottle of aftershave. Currently using one of those tiny clubman brandy spice aftershaves. Comes in a little bottle like those airline liquor bottles. Great for traveling. Costs like 3 bucks. When it’s empty I’ll refill it with whatever I want and peel the label off. I keep it all in a Maxpedition Tactical Toiletry Bag. That thing is like my best friend when traveling. So rugged and well designed.

Last week I traveled with two Brit Gillettes for Anglophile Week. It was my SOTD thread so I had to participate.

71EF0050-D55D-4A03-ABE4-5DC9022D8A5E.jpeg

Top Bottom