What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 1/4 – 1/10 The 1928 Wilkinson Strong Beard

The 1928 Wilkinson Strong Beard 7-Day Set

proxy.php

After taking a week off for the holidays I thought I’d kick it of with a razor brand I have not covered yet.
This week I would like to take a look at and discuss another one of the fine unique shavers to the wet shaving world. Here is the 1928 Wilkinson Strong Beard razor.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The razor was produced by Alfred Dunhill/The Wilkinson Cutlery Co. Ltd., Acton, London, England.
The company began the production of razors in 1890 and produced the their first safety razor in 1896 known as the Pall Mall.
The Strong Beard razor (Known as a hoe type) came in a Leather clad case that measures 4-1/8x 4-1/8 x 1-5/8 w/snap latch. The set came complete with razor, seven blades, honing/stropping handle and strop.

The razor featured a number of revolutionary improvements to the safety razor such as Wilkinson’s ‘Patent Anti Friction Roller’ which, unlike the crude combs of other safety razors, gave a smooth rolling action over the face and fed the lather onto the cutting edge of the blade.
It also featured an adjustable blade locking system and an adjustable tilt head.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The seven blades were hollow ground wedge blades and have the days of the week etched on the backbone of the blade. Each blade was also etched with Wilkinson Sword Co. / Hand Forged/ Made In England on one side of the blade and a Wilkinson’s Special on the other.

proxy.php
proxy.php

When I first found this razor I was intrigued by it’s appearance, with it’s black beaded styling on the handle and it’s Anti Friction Roller that I just had to have it in my collection. Mind you I never intended to shave with it as it was also a little intimidating to me with it’s open wedge blade.

Needless to say, being who over time I just had to give it a try. I picked out the best blade in the bunch, honed and stropped it (with my good strop as the one in the set is old and dried out) and popped the blade in. Lathered up and gave it a test ride. To my surprise this razor was actual great fun to shave with. The roller did it’s job and after three passes I had a very nice clean, comfortable shave. It was not BBS but very close to it.
Since that day I pull this razor out once in a while and have some fun.

Here is my SOTD for today 1/4/09

proxy.php

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Interesting razor. Very "industrial" and a bit scary looking. It has a strong steampunk vibe I guess.

Regards.

Jakob

Nice, if I knew anything about honing I would be all about a 7 day wedge set. Thanks for the information Ray!

Very nice. Thanks. I've never seen one of those before, I'll at least know what I'm looking at now if I spot one. Nice soap too. I found some a couple of weeks ago but haven't tried it yet.

You pull the wedge blade on the handle and strop it as if it was a straight razor? Is that how you do it?

Very interesting post Ray! I love the Bauhaus style of the razor. The rollers and the thick, hollow ground blades are just too cool! That's one of my favorites!!

:badger:

Great review Ray. Some of those old Wilkinsons are really elaborate pieces of machinery. I have a couple, but not a Strong Beard like this one.

For those who asked about the stropping handle, yes you put the blade in the handle and strop it like a straight. These stropping handles were common with various makes of safety razors with wedge blades and also some that used the thin, reinforced spine, single edged blades.

Regards,
Tom

Great review Ray. Some of those old Wilkinsons are really elaborate pieces of machinery. I have a couple, but not a Strong Beard like this one.

For those who asked about the stropping handle, yes you put the blade in the handle and strop it like a straight. These stropping handles were common with various makes of safety razors with wedge blades and also some that used the thin, reinforced spine, single edged blades.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks fellows and thank you Tom for answering the questions correctly in my absents.

WOW, I believe that to be the most beautiful razor I've ever seen. It looks like something out of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis".

It looks purposeful and precise.

I've always told myself that I'm satisfied with my dad's old Gillette SS. Never thought myself capable of razor envy, or RAD. Until now.

Damn.

--------------

Alan

[...]For those who asked about the stropping handle, yes you put the blade in the handle and strop it like a straight. These stropping handles were common with various makes of safety razors with wedge blades and also some that used the thin, reinforced spine, single edged blades.

Regards,
Tom
Ah thanks Tom. Haven't seen your answer till Ray pointed out. ;)

Top Bottom