What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 1/4 – 1/10 The 1928 Wilkinson Strong Beard

you have the blade holder for honing
unscrew the razor handle and use it with the blade holder
i have one like that

i have another that have a separate handle, on this one the rasor handle does not fit
the blade holder

what you are missing is the leather strop

as you can see by the blade rack in the box this is a 3 days set so you're not missing anything else

you have the blade holder for honing
unscrew the razor handle and use it with the blade holder
i have one like that

i have another that have a separate handle, on this one the rasor handle does not fit
the blade holder

what you are missing is the leather strop

as you can see by the blade rack in the box this is a 3 days set so you're not missing anything else

Thanks!

So the handle can unscrew to be a handle for the stropping/honing attachment? That's what I wanted to know! Cause the one in the thread, the SROTW, it has a seperate handle.
Never mind the strop, I have a few, hope they will work.
Would you know the year? Know anything specific?

i think they started 1924-25 until maybe 1930-31
I maybe wrong about starting and ending but they made some in those years

the other one i have with the separate handle is a gold plated Alfred Dunhill 1928

My set arrived! A modern SE fits!:w00t:

Some pictures:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks Ray for an excellent review and research of this Wilkinson Strong Beard. I just bought one from a family member of the original owner and can't wait for it to arrive. Any thoughts about rubbing the strop with neatsfoot oil to preserve the leather? Doug

Great looking razor. Ive been looking for one of those for a while but their prices are a little too steep. If it ever comes down to it i would sell all my razors to buy a set like that.

Just sold on eBay at 600$ ... *cry* I bid just under. Stunnnnnning thing !!! LOVE the industrial looks, congrats to whomever got one of these.

Just sold on eBay at 600$ ... *cry* I bid just under. Stunnnnnning thing !!! LOVE the industrial looks, congrats to whomever got one of these.

2.5 years ago i got one just like that on ebay except mine is gold plated with no gold missing anywhere
even on the stropper where the leather is rubbing, no missing gold

box needs hinge repair and strop is missing

was very lucky on that one christmas eve and $41 on ebay

Great review Ray. Some of those old Wilkinsons are really elaborate pieces of machinery. I have a couple, but not a Strong Beard like this one.

For those who asked about the stropping handle, yes you put the blade in the handle and strop it like a straight. These stropping handles were common with various makes of safety razors with wedge blades and also some that used the thin, reinforced spine, single edged blades.

Regards,
Tom

Mine came with the stropping handle and an auto stropper mechanism that holds the blade and a strop threads through as shown above in post 48. Strop missing from mine so I need to make one. I have the leather to do so. Two separate stropping devices so I suspect the handle may be more for honing than stropping. I believe the auto stropper was a standard part of the 7 day sets.

Last edited:
Hi all!
Decided to do video reviews of their sets.

I will be doing video reviews of other sets

I shave set in 1903.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom