What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 1/4 – 1/10 The 1928 Wilkinson Strong Beard

Very interesting review, as always, thanks very much indeed for taking the time to post it.

Very cool razor as well!

A question: what about the sets that have "wedge" blades but come with no stropper/honing device:confused:

proxy.php

(from: http://www.shaveworld.org/shaveworl...select2=&select3=&select4=&select5=&select6=0 )

They weren't intended to be honed. The blades for these were typically advertised as lasting for 'three months' with stropping as needed. So, rather than hone them up you would buy replacements.

View attachment 49564

No idea if 3 months was to be broken down into 90 uses, or 3 months being used only once a week. Would seem like a heck of a waste if they only were intended for 12 shaves, so I must assume the former. Then, this kit would last for 21 months or close to two years. That would be a pretty good length of time before needing new ones.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray for this wonderful bit of shaving history. Like Jakob, I thought that this was a very industrial looking razor. Those blades are a bit thick and heavy chunks of metal to be considered disposable, though!

I read somewhere that the rolls razor blades too were considered "disposable" (meaning, you shave with them and strop them, hone them once in a while, and when they become too dull, after a few months or so, throw them out and buy a new one). But the only reason I see why do that is convenience and lazyness.
They could be honed like anything else.

Maybe that's the case with the wilkinson blades?

Why couldn't one hone these blades:confused:

depending on how they snap in, honing would mean the blade got 'shorter' each time. So your blade gap would become bigger... and bigger... and bigger...

That would be my guess, but I've never handled one of these gadgets.

Top Bottom