What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 1/18 – 1/24 The 1919 Gillette Big Fellow

The 1919 Gillette Big Fellow

proxy.php

This week let's take a look at the Gillette Big Fellow

This razor is one of my favorite razors. I was first introduced in 1919 but it was only manufactured in this configuration for a few months.
It was the last "Old Type" style made of it’s era. It’s original configuration was with the guard and handle forming an assembly, with the cap held on by the knurled tightening knob at the base of the handle.

This razor was sold in a set that included the razor, Boxwood case and matching metal blade box at a whopping $3.75 at the time.

This razor came in Silver and Gold. They weighed in at 76 grams and measured 3-7/8 inches in length. The case style was the first of its kind.
In 1921 Gillette re-tooled and once again introduced the Big Fellow but this time it was the "New Improved" type head.

proxy.php

Nice job Scott, you figured out the mystery razor in minutes....

Here is a SOTD with one of my Big Fellows.

proxy.php

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Last edited:
Gents;

How do you know if it is a 1919 or 1920?

I know mine is either one, since it comes apart as Ray discusses in his review, not like a New Improved.

The only real thing I have is the PatentNOV1504 (which the seller "thought" said 1904 but I knew better) stamped on the handle, and the P 51952 on the flat part of the head assembly.

Thanks for any info, and a great review of a superior razor.

Peace

Gents;

I know mine is either one, since it comes apart as Ray discusses in his review, not like a New Improved.

The only real thing I have is the PatentNOV1504 (which the seller "thought" said 1904 but I knew better) stamped on the handle, and the P 51952 on the flat part of the head assembly.

Peace

They all come apart the same way. You can tell the year by the serial # on the razor. take a look in the wiki and see what yours is. Yours is an old type because it says NOV 15 04' which is the day the old types were patented.

Gents;

stamped on the handle, and the P 51952 on the flat part of the head assembly.

Jeff, this would be your date code but it appears to be missing a number. Are you sure this is it?

Yep;

I looked at it again under the super-dooper magnifying glass and thats the number on the flat part of the head. Nothing else other than the PAT on the handle.

I thought something was weird too when I could find anything on it.

:frown:

Gents;

Peace

P 51952 is 1921

Thanks Achim...very much appreciated.

I take it this is prior to the re-tooling.

Thanks again.

Peace

PS: I can't believe no one else is commenting on this Safety Razor of the Week. Though I'd hate to brag on the Big Fellow too much...would be nice to keep the prices down so I can find a gold one. :biggrin:

Very nice post ray. I have a question about these which I have always been unsure about. I have seen most cases for these with "Made In USA" printed above the Diamond Arrow logo, but I have also seen some without. I always assumed the "Made in USA" was on New Improved cases.

Very nice post ray. I have a question about these which I have always been unsure about. I have seen most cases for these with "Made In USA" printed above the Diamond Arrow logo, but I have also seen some without. I always assumed the "Made in USA" was on New Improved cases.

Thank you, It is my understanding that the very first case did not say Made in USA on them. They were also a lighter wood tone.

Disclaimer: I am not positive about this info though.

Very nice... I would love to find a NEW big fellow. What is the actual difference in the handle size on these from the regular Old/New Improved handles? Yeah, I see it is a hefty 76 g compared to my 51g old style, it is a little longer, but what is the difference in diameter. I find myself preferring thicker handles (which may be why I like the NEW better than the New Improved)

BFs are just so cool - I have one on the way to me... I can't wait!

thank you all for sharing pics & descriptions - someone else has already ID'd you all as enablers -well, damn! Somebody's got to do it!

thanks again to you all....

Wow... OK... that one is definitively on my must get list!

Price will probably put it permanently out of my reach, but I can dream and hope to find one on a dusty antique store shelf someday.

Top Bottom