What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: May 2017

Nice photograph of your '53! It looks like the roof has been chopped, lights frenched, and I'm guessing there is a Ford flattie inside... Sorry- I could not help myself! Beautiful razor Peter! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Nice photograph of your '53! It looks like the roof has been chopped, lights frenched, and I'm guessing there is a Ford flattie inside... Sorry- I could not help myself! Beautiful razor Peter! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks very much Tony - and you too Adam for welcoming me to this thread, truly appreciated - honestly it is you stewards' positive and envigorating commentary and ideas that make us engage and participate. This is fun!

I only have one NDC (early 1950) and one Black Tip - I'm going to see if I can acquire another 40's style SS before the end of May.
It's good to have goals!

...and I was successful today! My wife and I want to the Liberty Antiques Festival today, and one of the razors I was able to acquire was a Y4 (I think - I haven't cleaned anything up yet) '53 Super Speed, so I have one more SS to participate with. I'll try and work on cleaning up my finds and post some pics on the acquisition thread, tomorrow.

Tony - I thought of you as we were just getting started. Right near the entrance, there were 5 or 6 MGBs parked all together, and there were a couple of green ones, just like in your avatar. I told my wife that it wouldn't surprise me if you were there somewhere! I hope you were feeling well enough to get out and enjoy it!

Tipster; I am feeling like a new penny Sir! I was mowing our three acres, so unfortunately I did not have a chance to head out that way. It sounds like an MG Car Club of North Carolina outing- they will have their annual show at North Hills in May- I WILL be there! We accepted an offer on my late parent's house last night, so I now have the monies for completion. I have done everything on it to this point, and it has been in two magazine articles on the rally gear. It is a world-class restoration. I still can show it with the AACA, but it falls under a modified class. All it needs are to have the bumpers re-chromed, some welding, paint work on a rotisserie, and re-assembly. I think we can complete it in a year. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks very much Tony - and you too Adam for welcoming me to this thread, truly appreciated - honestly it is you stewards' positive and envigorating commentary and ideas that make us engage and participate. This is fun!
You are quite welcome! Glad you are enjoying it.
...and I was successful today! My wife and I want to the Liberty Antiques Festival today, and one of the razors I was able to acquire was a Y4 (I think - I haven't cleaned anything up yet) '53 Super Speed, so I have one more SS to participate with. I'll try and work on cleaning up my finds and post some pics on the acquisition thread, tomorrow.

Tony - I thought of you as we were just getting started. Right near the entrance, there were 5 or 6 MGBs parked all together, and there were a couple of green ones, just like in your avatar. I told my wife that it wouldn't surprise me if you were there somewhere! I hope you were feeling well enough to get out and enjoy it!
5cRrMMGMi.jpg

I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm a night shaver, and dutifully used my battered old Tech tonight while staring wistfully at my Superspeeds.
I'm taking a short course on instructer development starting tomorrow; our pre-work was to prepare and deliver a ten minute lesson on any subject. My peers will be receiving a brief history and identification of the three main versions of the razor, including a NDC, a '58 TV Special, and an M code black handle. I'm hoping to acquire a regular flare or red tip during the month of May to round out my modest collection and allow a weekly rotation.

NDC Super Speed Astra SP (6)
Whipped Dog Synth
WSP Mahogany
Avon Spicy

Great shave with the Super Speed today. Even Avon loved the 40s Super Speed, I think it's pretty obvious where they got the inspiration for their Super Shaver decanter. :thumbsup:
DSCF0082.JPG

KeenDogg

I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm a night shaver, and dutifully used my battered old Tech tonight while staring wistfully at my Superspeeds.
I'm taking a short course on instructer development starting tomorrow; our pre-work was to prepare and deliver a ten minute lesson on any subject. My peers will be receiving a brief history and identification of the three main versions of the razor, including a NDC, a '58 TV Special, and an M code black handle. I'm hoping to acquire a regular flare or red tip during the month of May to round out my modest collection and allow a weekly rotation.
I'd sit in on that lesson anyday! Good luck!

KeenDogg

NDC Super Speed Astra SP (6)
Whipped Dog Synth
WSP Mahogany
Avon Spicy

Great shave with the Super Speed today. Even Avon loved the 40s Super Speed, I think it's pretty obvious where they got the inspiration for their Super Shaver decanter. :thumbsup:
View attachment 785880
Very sweet! I want one of those. What's the thing with the shave set up image in the back, Troy?

Love that decanter! Very nice!

Today's shave:
'50 NDC Super Speed
Personna Red blade
Rooney Pure Badger brush
Chiseled Face Tradewinds soap
Vi-Jon/CVS Old Spice knockoff aftershave

I used my Ever-Ready 1912 SE all last week, so it was a little weird jumping back in with a DE this morning. Still a terrific shave!

I will begin the month with a 1947 Super Speed, a new Israeli Personna blade, and Modern Williams. This is a transitional early Super Speed, using the same razor blade bed as the earlier Ranger Tech, and a stepped ferrule. It is markedly more aggressive, in my opinion, that the 1948 and 1949 no date code variant. However, the shave remains pleasant and rewarding. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
1947 Transitional Large Strike Super Speed.JPG

As promised I loaded up my trusty 48-49 Super Speed with my crusty Nacet for shave 62 with that blade. I'd been using my Fatboy cranked wide open to compensate for the well-used blade. I'm happy to say that the Super Speed held up its end of the bargain. I managed a decent DFS with no irritation so I'll say its a win. Looks like I'll keep up with the SS and maybe do some Fatboy Fridays as a control. Not sure how much more that blade has in it.

KeenDogg

Today's shave:
'53 SS on Feather blade, Semogue 1520 boar brush, Stirling Orange Chill and Pitralon Classic AS. Nice.
Sweet set up!
I will begin the month with a 1947 Super Speed, a new Israeli Personna blade, and Modern Williams. This is a transitional early Super Speed, using the same razor blade bed as the earlier Ranger Tech, and a stepped ferrule. It is markedly more aggressive, in my opinion, that the 1948 and 1949 no date code variant. However, the shave remains pleasant and rewarding. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 786040
Great job as always, Tony

KeenDogg

As promised I loaded up my trusty 48-49 Super Speed with my crusty Nacet for shave 62 with that blade. I'd been using my Fatboy cranked wide open to compensate for the well-used blade. I'm happy to say that the Super Speed held up its end of the bargain. I managed a decent DFS with no irritation so I'll say its a win. Looks like I'll keep up with the SS and maybe do some Fatboy Fridays as a control. Not sure how much more that blade has in it.
Good going, Mike. I love the term you used "crusty".

Top Bottom