What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: May 2017

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm spending some quality time with my slim this week before I put it up for a month or longer...
It is important, the time you share together. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Gillette 1950 V-3 Date Code Super Speed Razor .JPG
Gillette 1951 Black Tip Super Speed Razor Steel Handle Date Code W2.JPG
Adam; I offer no judgement; but the Korean War, Black Tip Super Speed is considered a separate variant by most. Aside from composition of either the handle or head's base metal not being brass, there is little difference except for the Bakelite TTO knob. these were found beginning in the W2 production quarter of 1951, and continued through W4. The 1940's style Super Speed resumed production in 1952, but X date coded razors could have a left-over steel handle, as does my X4 1940's style. By Y4, razors were entirely brass and nickel plated. the 1954 TV special was the last of the 1940's style Super Speeds, succeeded by the Flare Tip. For the sake of honoring 1940's style Super Speeds- throw those Black Tips into the fray! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

KeenDogg

View attachment 784667 View attachment 784666 Adam; I offer no judgement; but the Korean War, Black Tip Super Speed is considered a separate variant by most. Aside from composition of either the handle or head's base metal not being brass, there is little difference except for the Bakelite TTO knob. these were found beginning in the W2 production quarter of 1951, and continued through W4. The 1940's style Super Speed resumed production in 1952, but X date coded razors could have a left-over steel handle, as does my X4 1940's style. By Y4, razors were entirely brass and nickel plated. the 1954 TV special was the last of the 1940's style Super Speeds, succeeded by the Flare Tip. For the sake of honoring 1940's style Super Speeds- throw those Black Tips into the fray! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank you, Tony. I appreciate your insight and input. I'm with you on the black tip!
I have a '47 and a '48-50... I think I qualify... but heck, they're SBs...:001_unsur
Aww JM, you can do it.....:a14:

I only have one NDC (early 1950) and one Black Tip - I'm going to see if I can acquire another 40's style SS before the end of May.
It's good to have goals!

I'm in! - this baby arrived today so perfect timing. Can't wait until first shave in the morning, have never tried these before but the looks alone... :001_wub::001_tt1:

I even had planned already to use this extensively over the next weeks (while I wait for 2 Slims coming from Captain Murphy and Chris at Razorplate). Fantastic month it will be :a14:

IMG_1928.JPG

I'm going to get out my 48-49 SS. I'm in an Excalibur run which isn't quite done. I'm not sure how a razor that is relatively mild will do with that well seasoned blade. If it works I'll stick with it for a while.

KeenDogg

I'm in! - this baby arrived today so perfect timing. Can't wait until first shave in the morning, have never tried these before but the looks alone... :001_wub::001_tt1:

I even had planned already to use this extensively over the next weeks (while I wait for 2 Slims coming from Captain Murphy and Chris at Razorplate). Fantastic month it will be :a14:

View attachment 785353
Stunning!
Fun! I'm in! I'll post up some pics and comments about my '47 later.
Sounds great, brother! Can't wait.
I'm going to get out my 48-49 SS. I'm in an Excalibur run which isn't quite done. I'm not sure how a razor that is relatively mild will do with that well seasoned blade. If it works I'll stick with it for a while.
Sounds like a plan to me! I need to get overy to the EC and learn some methods to your madness! That place amazes me!

Well, off to a good (pre)start with my first ever shave with my 53 SS. Very nice shave for being the first one.

I do find the razor slightly more aggressive than my post-war Tech or my Slim set at '3'. I rank it on par with my Diplomat which is ever so slightly more aggressive than I find ideal, as I shave every day. But a good first run while I adjust to it.

As you see from the pic I today used Stirling Orange Chill (new to me, probably my new favourite soap, absolutely excellent), a new Semogue boar brush for the soap - as I normally use creams, my favourite AS and a Feather blade on its 3rd day.

IMG_1929.JPG

KeenDogg

Well, off to a good (pre)start with my first ever shave with my 53 SS. Very nice shave for being the first one.

I do find the razor slightly more aggressive than my post-war Tech or my Slim set at '3'. I rank it on par with my Diplomat which is ever so slightly more aggressive than I find ideal, as I shave every day. But a good first run while I adjust to it.

As you see from the pic I today used Stirling Orange Chill (new to me, probably my new favourite soap, absolutely excellent), a new Semogue boar brush for the soap - as I normally use creams, my favourite AS and a Feather blade on its 3rd day.
Wow! Come out firing! Great photo. What are your thoughts on how hard or easy it is to find the angle on this one?
View attachment 785426

Great thread Adam!
Thanks, Lane! It's the membership that I must give credit to. They have and will truly make it great.

Kindly,
Adam

Top Bottom