What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: May 2017

Almost done with the Super Speeds this month:

Y4 '53 Super Speed
Personna Red blade
Rooney Pure Badger
Blades Grim Smolder soap
Clubman Vanilla aftershave

I'll probably go ahead and make this my last SS shave this month. I'll start in on the GEMini thread - I just acquired 4 new-to-me GEMs yesterday at an antique store, and now would seem like a good time to put them through their paces.

Many thanks to Adam for setting up this Razor of the Month thread! It was a lot of fun, and very educational!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Last shave for 40's Super Speed month. I chose the 1952 X-1 Aluminum Handled Black Tip simply because I havent used it in a long time. Boy is this a smooth shaver! A nice way to finish this super month!

X-1 Aluminum Handle Black Tip
Astra SP
Don Marco
Plissoft
Old Spice

Super Speed X-1 1952 Aluminum Handle .jpg

image.jpeg
Tonight's shave.
X-3 Superspeed
Dorco ST301 Blade
African Black Soap shave Butter Cream.
Thayers Witch Hazel Splash
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

I must certainly agree- this has been fun Adam! Tonight the V3 was exercised again, but without Labrador Retriever distractions. A Wilkinson Solingen blade was loaded, with Nivea cream in a tube for sensitive skin providing the lubrication honors. It restored my soul as the Good Book says. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1950 V-3 Super Speed Razor Under Head View with V-3 Date Code.JPG

Adding my thanks to Adam for facilitating this adventure and all those who participated.
I will be joining Tony for part of June, hanging up the Black Tip for a bit and concentrating on the '50s including Flare, Blue, and Red Tips. I'll post my musings in this thread.
I look forward to participating in the July shenanigans, thanks for having me, and until then, pleasant shaves, fellas.

I just wanted to take the time out to thank each and everyone of you foralong this thread a success. I really like doing these types of threads because it draws members I may have not had a chance to meet and talk with yet. It also brings some great conversation and setups. SROTM will return in July, I will let you all know sometime in the next week what it will be. That way if you want to participate and maybe don't have the razor, you can get one. OR maybe if you do have it, but it is in your RAD stash, you can locate it.
Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. This has been, for me, the best yet.

Happy shaving men!
Adam
It was superb to read. I'm late to the thread but I learned a lot and found it really enjoyable. Thanks to all who participated and shared photos!

The honors tonight will be with the razor which started it all, both here in this wonderful thread, and with Gillette's introduction of the Super Speed Line. My transitional 1947, large strike head markings Super Speed
Gillette Early 1947 Super Speed with Ranger Tech Ferule, Large Strike Hallmarks.JPG
Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Box Contents Complete.JPG
will pair with a beloved Wilkinson Solingen steel blade, but as in the beginning here- Creemo Cream as the facial lubricant. The early no date code Super Speeds have certainly shown their colors, and hopefully gained an even larger following. Shaving success with an early Super Speed lies with angle consistency- listen to your razor- it will tell you which is the best angle for you. Never be in a hurry. In fact- once the correct angle is achieved- it will be one of the loudest and most efficient razors you will use. Thanks Adam! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I just wanted to take the time out to thank each and everyone of you foralong this thread a success. I really like doing these types of threads because it draws members I may have not had a chance to meet and talk with yet. It also brings some great conversation and setups. SROTM will return in July, I will let you all know sometime in the next week what it will be. That way if you want to participate and maybe don't have the razor, you can get one. OR maybe if you do have it, but it is in your RAD stash, you can locate it.
Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. This has been, for me, the best yet.

Happy shaving men!
Adam
Adam thank you for hosting this thread. Not only was this a fun experience, but also a learning one. Over the last month I've learned a lot about the history of this great razor(thank you Tony) and also learned how to use this razor to its fullest extent. I had always thought of it as a good shaver, kind of middle of the road. Now I know it was my technique with it that was middle of the road. Thanks to all who participated, you made it fun.

Great pics and posts everyone! It was a fun month, I hope to have a razor for the next safety razor of the month thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Aww shucks guys, you're welome! Your participation is what has made it great. I thank all of you for participating. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone's setups and getting to know you all.

My only regret is that I only can shave about every four days!

I've got ideas in my head for July, so stay tuned!

Smooth shaves, gents!

Celluloid Wood Grain Razor Case with Gillette 1954 Flare Tip, for Travel.JPG
Gillette 1954  Z1  Super Speed Flare Tip .JPG
Awe shucks Jerry as they say here in the South Land! It was indeed a fun month. I hear the Flare Tips a-callin'... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I'm going to finish out the week on a "blue and white" theme.
I finally finished that tube of dreadful, latherless cream, and tonight's shave was superb.
C1 Blue Tip Super Speed
German Wilkie
Proraso White
Razorock Plissoft
AV Blue.
Pure bliss....
Blue and White.jpg

Gillette 1954 Z3 Flare Tip Kordite Soap Container  Travel Dopp Kit.jpg
Well; I earlier resolved mastery of the often overlooked 1954 Flare Tip, and have begun my month-long efforts towards that goal. For the past two evenings, my Z3 Flare Tip has been coupled with a Wilkinson Solingen blade and Neutrogena Shave Cream for sensitive skin, with flawless shaves without irritation as my new benchmark. Maybe for a day or tow I will switch within the early Super Speed lineup, as Esetter's Blue Tip looks to also be a good choice for variety's sake. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Tony, I'll join you for a day or two. I'm positive I have a C-series in the pile somewhere.
I had a surprisingly great shave last night, my first ever with a Schick Krona. I don't know much about them, but this one had the short metal tip. Impressive, I think my TTO world has opened up.
My three piece razors are being neglected, something I'll have to resolve when I hit the road next week. Perhaps it will be time for a "Tech" break.

I will be in good Company Esetter! So far this has affirmed my decision to relegate my Z3 to one of my three daily shavers, along with an E1 195 Adjustable and a Pre-War Tech that is at Cap's with another identical one for pre-plating work. Then the pair heads to Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com.

Techs, either Pre-War or early Post-War 1946-1950 versions, certainly deserve consideration as one of the best designed razors Gillette made. My preference lies in the Pre-War Fat Handle Tech. Production dates to 1938, as America was still in the throws of the Great Depression, and a forty-nine cent razor was a welcome sight for many. This razor's head design would continue during the War years as the Contract tech with Bakelite or cast ball handles, placing production into the untold millions. Following the war, the economy thankfully did not go into the predicted recession that so many foresaw, but for the vast majority of returning servicemen- they still required an economical razor. The jump to the newly designed Super Speed at a dollar purchase price would occur in 1947. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1954 Super Super Speed Razor Flare Tip Date Code Z2 Silo Doors Closed  Right Full View.JPG
Gillette Prewar Gold Tech Razor.JPG
Gillette Ball End Contract Tech Circa 1942.JPG

Top Bottom