What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, June 2012 - Lather Catchers

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, MacDaddy, it would be hard to make picture of the loading, because you have to hold the thumb tab down while backing the razor blade up into the head from the front. The blades that came with them had tabs on each side which would have made it easy, but with injector blades, you just have to place them in and adjust them to the level you see in my pictures. I figured that out by inserting one of the original blades (that's not shave-worthy) to see how much of the blade should be showing. It's a little dicey putting it in, but the spring on the head is so tight that it holds it in place. Does give a good shave, though.
Cleave

Very nice. The Zinn Automatic is one that I don't have myself yet. It's also very cool that it will work with injector blades. How are they held in place? Are they deep enough to rest in front of whatever stops would have held the ears on the back corners of the Zinn blades? I'd love to see a picture or two of how the blade loads in.

But gonna show these off anyway, so long as Dropbox cooperates....

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like I'm missing something....strop attachments?
The one with the shorter handle has a near perfect head. No brassing I can see. The nice longer handled head is almost identical in shape, but with extensive brassing in a few places. Came with one box, one wedge blade and one set of instructions too.
GEM blade seems to fit nicely - will see how one shaves tomorrow.

Attachments

• $Stars1.jpg
    $Stars1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 342
  • $Stars3.jpg
    $Stars3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Turns out it's French...
Figured some of you would get a kick out of the instructions.
Apologies for badly lit iPad pics.

Attachments

• $Instr1.jpg
    $Instr1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 325
  • $Instr2.jpg
    $Instr2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 327
  • $Instr3.jpg
    $Instr3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 324
  • $Instr4.jpg
    $Instr4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 322
  • $Instr5.jpg
    $Instr5.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
that wasn't working either. That's what I get for doing things the Apple way :)

I'll attempt to fix via PC soon.

edit: Done. I think. I hope.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting tidbit: Everything you know about loading a GEM Junior Bar is wrong.

I recently saw this Cuticura Superior Safety Razor with instructions sell on eBay. Cuticura was a soap company and the Superior was essentially a white-labeled version of the GEM Junior Bar sold under their name. According to the instructions you aren't supposed to lift the bar at all to load the blade:

Directions: Slide Blade into place without raising Bar Frame and secure it by pressing forward Clamp. It is not necessary to raise Bar Frame to remove Blade to insert new Blade or to clean Holder, although it may assist in the latter operation to do so.

View attachment 252089

proxy.php

THAT IS JUST TOO EASY!!!!!

(maybe even three easy!)

Well I never. Thnx for that MacDaddy!!!
You have forever changed my shaving life!!!!!! : )

Does anyone know if you can use a Gem SE blade on this type of razor? I have the razor, but no blade.

Well I never. Thnx for that MacDaddy!!! You have forever changed my shaving life!!!!!! : )

I know, right?! I felt the same way when I saw those instructions. It makes total sense to look at it, though. The little feet on the inside corners of the guard bar are even curled up to help guide the blade into place.

Does anyone know if you can use a Gem SE blade on this type of razor? I have the razor, but no blade.

We'd have to know more specifically what kind of razor you've got there. Many can take modern blades, but some can't -- or at least not easily or safely.

here are my lather catchers. i have a gem jr and a star kamph. im not sure how old the star is but i like it cuz its not the same stamped design that u usually see on the lather cathchers. i also like that u can adjust the blade gap. there are little screws where the blade sits and it limits how agressive or mild u want it. maybe the first adjustable??? lol

i apologize for the sub par pics. im not the expert cameraman that everyone on the forum seems to be lol

Attachments

• $IMG_3480.jpg
    $IMG_3480.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 269
  • $IMG_3481.jpg
    $IMG_3481.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 269
  • $IMG_3482.jpg
    $IMG_3482.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 270
  • $IMG_3483.jpg
    $IMG_3483.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 270
  • $IMG_3484.jpg
    $IMG_3484.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 271
the others

Attachments

• $IMG_3485.jpg
    $IMG_3485.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 246
  • $IMG_3486.jpg
    $IMG_3486.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 243
  • $IMG_3487.jpg
    $IMG_3487.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 244
  • $IMG_3488.jpg
    $IMG_3488.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 242
  • $IMG_3489.jpg
    $IMG_3489.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 243
Better late than never. Here is a Swedish CV Heljestrand lather catcher razor. It is wedge blade but works fine with Gem blades too. One of the last lather catchers as produced into the 1930s per The Razor Compendium. I have both plated brass and stainless steel versions making it one of the first stainless steel safety razors I know of. Web info, other than mine, does not even mention the stainless steel versions but I do have two of them. The top photo is of a stainless one and the lower photo is a brass one with chrome plating.
CVHSS2-1.jpg
CVH-4-1.jpg

Better late than never. Here is a Swedish CV Heljestrand lather catcher razor. It is wedge blade but works fine with Gem blades too. One of the last lather catchers as produced into the 1930s per The Razor Compendium. I have both plated brass and stainless steel versions making it one of the first stainless steel safety razors I know of. Web info, other than mine, does not even mention the stainless steel versions but I do have two of them. The top photo is of a stainless one and the lower photo is a brass one with chrome plating.View attachment 789737 View attachment 789738

Those are nice Rwoodreno,maybe we should try to start a Lather Catcher razor of the month this June

Have we learned enough more about them and their peculiarities to make a repeat useful? Certainly there are models that were missed the first time around as I showed with my post but I do tend to revive some old threads on occasion. As the first generation of safety razors they are certainly historic and many still give excellent shaves.

Have we learned enough more about them and their peculiarities to make a repeat useful? Certainly there are models that were missed the first time around as I showed with my post but I do tend to revive some old threads on occasion. As the first generation of safety razors they are certainly historic and many still give excellent shaves.

Yes, I think a repeat may be useful. If for nothing else to have a little fun just like the DE users and their Gillette's. They always seem to be highlighting the FATBOY and some SUPERSPEED. Which is all okay, but I say lets start to highlight these excellent shavers as you mentioned a little more.

Might expand it too to request that posters specifically note whether or not the razor can use modern blades and any particular blade modifications needed to do so. If wedge blades compatible only that should be noted too. Help increase the usefulness of the thread for those of us who want to use the oldies.

Top Bottom