What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
National BSA Jamboree shave:

20170720_195855.jpg

It was only after reading some of @rabidus' posts that I tried one in my R41 and the difference was like night and day.

The LC would chew up my skin on the left side of my chin and above my lip ATG trying to BBS them. The more rigid SC will mow those areas down with ease. The razor performed better on the rest of my beard, I gave up on BBS with the LC. I haven't used the LC since I discovered what the SC was capable of. I look forward to your review of the shimless LC!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm such a NEW deluxe fan!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

There are more but I'm to lazy to find the pictures :lol:
Whoa! Heavy hitter! Hehe. Beautiful, Chris, just beautiful.
View attachment 805126 I've been "experimenting" using a vintage razor for my first pass and finishing up with my trusty Rockwell 6S.
Today I started with a NEW Short Comb paired with a heavy handle loaded with a PermaSharp.
After two passes with the NEW I did minor (very minor) cleanup and had a super shave.
Fine little razor!
That is one hefty handle!
View attachment 805845 SROTM July 20th
New LC
Feather
Cremo Cooling
Razorock Plissoft 22
Thayers Cucumber WH
Dollar Tree Aqua Velva
Nice work, Jerrylee

National BSA Jamboree shave:

View attachment 805853
Way to go. My oldest just finished his first day camp.

Well, fellas, I'm joining the party late but had a very fortuitous mail call yesterday. Does this make me eligible to hop on for the last week? I'm jumping in on "Shark Week" over at the blade page, so I already have my ammo picked out.

IMG_20170720_210508.jpg

Short Comb with a fresh GSB for me today. 2 1/2 days growth to DFS+ in 2 passes and very little cleanup.

That end view of those razors it deceiving, it offers the illusion of blade support in the 41. Show the baseplates end to end blade side up, please. :001_smile
(Eventually) here you go Toby:
upload_2017-7-24_18-5-38.png
upload_2017-7-24_18-6-9.png

The blade support width is 13mm for both razors, but the NEW has two 5.5mm wide blade platforms whereas the R41 only has two skinny 2.5mm wide blade platforms.
I haven't used the LC since I discovered what the SC was capable of. I look forward to your review of the shimless LC!
I've finished my week with the shimmed NEW LC. Tonight will be shimless (or should that be shameless :001_unsur) so I'll report back on that tomorrow(ish).

The LC would chew up my skin on the left side of my chin and above my lip ATG trying to BBS them. The more rigid SC will mow those areas down with ease. The razor performed better on the rest of my beard, I gave up on BBS with the LC. I haven't used the LC since I discovered what the SC was capable of. I look forward to your review of the shimless LC!
I've finished my week with the shimmed NEW LC. Tonight will be shimless (or should that be shameless :001_unsur) so I'll report back on that tomorrow(ish).
NEW Long Comb SHIMLESS SHAVE REPORT:
It started off great on the cheeks but the chin and neck were a pain and took ages. From now on I will definitely only use it shimmed.
I think rabidus' guess that the NEW Long Comb came out while the Gillette blades were still 0.006" thick is most likely spot on (and would have made it shave as great as it does now with a single shim installed).

(@TobyC I believe you wanted my report.)

It started off great on the cheeks but the chin and neck were a pain and took ages. From now on I will definitely only use it shimmed.
I think rabidus' guess that the NEW Long Comb came out while the Gillette blades were still 0.006" thick is most likely spot on (and would have made it shave as great as it does now with a single shim installed).

That's unfortunate, I guess the OLD is still winning! :em2300:

Sounds like you've learned your lesson! You don't have to shave with a razor to know it's not rigid enough...

Pm me your address again and I'll send you a real NEW, no shim required. I don't have another SC with the original cap, but I have one with an equivalent cap though, I have to figure it out.

I had no idea what to expect other than what I'd read; my first shave with the LC felt like a prewar Tech with teeth, for lack of a better term. I've spent enough time with my Old to be cautious, however and find the regrowth heavier than even a newer, mild Tech.
I'm using a rougher blade which should smooth out as the week progresses and I get used to the combo.

Jerrylee, is that handle from a ball end Tech?

Used a new British NEW Flat Bottom the other day with much better results than previous flat bottoms. I think the blade (Nacet) played a big part as well.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sounds like you've learned your lesson! You don't have to shave with a razor to know it's not rigid enough...

Pm me your address again and I'll send you a real NEW, no shim required. I don't have another SC with the original cap, but I have one with an equivalent cap though, I have to figure it out.
Very cool of you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wow! Thank you rabidus; PM sent. :thumbup:

Top Bottom