What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, February 2015 - Gillette New Improved

So I was looking back through our past SROTM threads to get us going again, and I couldn't believe that we'd never had a month devoted to the New Improved. :blink:

$new_improved.png

Patented on January 13, 1920 and announced to the public on May 16th of the following year, the New Improved was Gillette's first major design change to their razor head since their launch nearly 20 years earlier. It introduced the "channeled guard" and "fulcrum shoulder" which allowed the blade edge to float above the guard, preventing clogging between the blade and guard. And a more robust comb was an attempt to address the problem of bent and broken teeth.

Still great performers nearly a hundred years later, I know we've got plenty of folks who are New Improved fans, so let's hear your stories and see your photos.

Cool idea.

Not a huge NI fan though. I don't even have a good reason ... :lol: I just prefer Old Types and NEWs.

Which reminds me, if I may suggest, next month should be dedicated to the NEWs, it'll be the anniversary of their announcement as you know.

Now I'll let you NI fans have fun. :laugh:

Ok I'll bite. Although I am fairly new to the New Improved I am pretty stoked with my first one. I have used it one time and was fairly pleased with the shave it provided. Not quite as efficient as a NEW deluxe or RFB but it performed very well. I received it in a trade with Foyle and it sure looks lovely in the collection. Here it is. The engraved Chippendale! Look forward to using it more.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 418
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 414
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 411
$zaz.jpg
Here is mine next to my SC and LC New

IMO the New improved is Gillettes most beautiful razor behind the British Aristocrats.

As far as shave goes: If I have more than 3 days stubble and want to feel elegant, this is the razor to grab. I just love the Diamon pattern.

Attachments

• $qqqq.jpg
    $qqqq.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 398
Here's mine. Nowhere in as good a condition as Brent's or Zed's, but mechanically it's sound. It also sits on the top shelf when it comes to name favourites -

$20141001_073315.jpg

Finally a post for my question. I found that the NEW LC was a little too mild for my taste. I would love to try a NEW Deluxe, NEW Improved, or NEW Standard. The NI and NS models are generally less expensive than the Deluxe, but I would prefer a 3-Piece so I can change the handle if needed. I'm pretty sure I've seen a version of the NI that is 3 piece, but I haven't been able to find any since I started actively looking for them? Am I wrong? Is there a 3-piece version of the NI or NS? How do I identify whether one is 2 or 3 piece easily?

Finally a post for my question. I found that the NEW LC was a little too mild for my taste. I would love to try a NEW Deluxe, NEW Improved, or NEW Standard. The NI and NS models are generally less expensive than the Deluxe, but I would prefer a 3-Piece so I can change the handle if needed. I'm pretty sure I've seen a version of the NI that is 3 piece, but I haven't been able to find any since I started actively looking for them? Am I wrong? Is there a 3-piece version of the NI or NS? How do I identify whether one is 2 or 3 piece easily?

When we refer to New Improved razors, the ''NEW'' isn't capitalized. The ''NEW'' is used to distinguish between New Improved and NEW models, two different families of razors.

Yeah, if you think the LC is a bit too mild then you'll definitely like the New Improved, at least you'll like it better, no guarantees that you'll love it.
Personally I prefer the NEW Deluxe and find it more aggressive than the New Improved.

The New Standard is the name of a set --

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/1921 New Standard silver.jpg

They came in silver and gold, and all razors that came in these sets have the handle attached to the baseplate. This is the exact same razor that came in many other sets, like the Bostonian, Richwood, etc ...

There are other New Improved models that you can use with a modern SS handle, like the ones that came in the Tuckaway sets:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/1921 Tuckaway Canada.jpg

All New Improved heads have the same geometry, so apart from different handles, different weight, etc ... they should shave similarly.

When we refer to New Improved razors, the ''NEW'' isn't capitalized. The ''NEW'' is used to distinguish between New Improved and NEW models, two different families of razors.

Yeah, if you think the LC is a bit too mild then you'll definitely like the New Improved, at least you'll like it better, no guarantees that you'll love it.
Personally I prefer the NEW Deluxe and find it more aggressive than the New Improved.

The New Standard is the name of a set --

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/1921 New Standard silver.jpg

They came in silver and gold, and all razors that came in these sets have the handle attached to the baseplate. This is the exact same razor that came in many other sets, like the Bostonian, Richwood, etc ...

There are other New Improved models that you can use with a modern SS handle, like the ones that came in the Tuckaway sets:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/1921 Tuckaway Canada.jpg

All New Improved heads have the same geometry, so apart from different handles, different weight, etc ... they should shave similarly.

Thanks Edgar. I debated just sending you an PM, but this way everyone gets the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks Edgar. I debated just sending you an PM, but this way everyone gets the benefit of your knowledge.

You're welcome Garrett.

I'm not sure if you have any experience with Old Types. You can expect something in between the NEW LC and the Old Type ... Very nice shavers, as I said I prefer the NEW Deluxe, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the NI.

It's just my mileage varying I guess ... :thumbup1:

I actually prefer the NI over the Old Type. Maybe my technique has to evolve to the OT level, but my bar of alum knows exactly the days I use my ABC double ring shell or bulldog.

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I used my NI Standard. Perhaps I'll give it a go in the am.

All true EXCEPT... don't forget that the New Improved head did change very late in its life:

Yeah, I knew about that transition to the Deluxe baseplate. I guess I just forgot to mention it. :thumbup1:

EDIT: And while I can't comment based on personal experience because I don't have the two versions, from what I read some people do notice the difference. Kinda like the thin and thick OT caps.

Cool drawings Achim!

I shaved with my New Improved the last two days. I enjoy the shaves. It's a very solid razor with plenty of heft to it. Out of all the Gillette three piece open comb razors I think the New Improved provides the greatest opportunity to have a bad shave, but it's still a very capable and attractive tool.

From today's shave:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 318
I too shaved with my NI on Saturday as well as today - it's easily one of my top razor - I just love the heft and balance of it.

Just found this thread yesterday and used my Tuckaway this morning. A great shave. This might kick the RAD back in. I want more New Improved razors.
proxy.php

I can't believe I missed this thread, the New Improved is probably one of my favorite razors!

I've always gotten a great shave from the Tuckaway I was given last year so this winter I decided to start looking for a few more New Improved razors.

I have a few vintage Gillette advertisements for the New Improved line so I wanted to collect at least one of each that was shown in the ad.

This is what I have so far:

I removed any razors that weren't New Improved for the photo, well except the Chromium Big Boy.. I didn't feel like reaching back there.

$New Improved Set.jpg
The silver Bostonian came with the all the paperwork next to the Traveler - Just got the minty Big Fellow yesterday.
$New Improved Set 1.jpg
A gold Traveler set complete with brush & mirror - Silver New Standard.
$New Improved Set 2.jpg
This is the Tuckaway that got me started. I got it from the original owner.
$New Improved Tuckaway.jpg

Top Bottom