What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, December 2013 - Rotbart

Nice razor Alan! I finally got my first 2-piece Rotbart a month ago. It appears to be similar to one of the 2a or 2c 1937 models shown in the ad posted by Achim on Page 2. I believe it is all aluminum as it only weighs 18 grams. Super light. It works great and reminded somewhat of a Fasan because of the lightness. Once you have the angle dialed in though it shaves perfectly.

Attachments

• $IMG_3201[1].jpg
    $IMG_3201[1].jpg
    52 KB · Views: 192
  • $IMG_3200[1].jpg
    $IMG_3200[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Before and after cleaning pics.
Sorry for the phone camera picture ...
$rotbart (2).jpg
before ...
$WP_20150620_21_11_49_Pro.jpg
after near mint silver

Mine's in pretty rough shape. An ancient blade had fused the thing together. It took patience, elbow grease and Liquid Wrench, but I got it out with no damage. Next step is a final cleaning. As it's "razor-of-the-month" I'll have to get to it.
Here it is:

View attachment 392476

Also, Doug, I'd be very interested in seeing the script on the handle of your example-

Reviving an old thread. It’s exciting to hear this was the razor of the month close to 10 years go! my mom just gave my grandfather’s old razor. It looks quite a bit like this one. He was born in Germany in about 1913 and lived there his whole life. It seems the solid brass Rotbert Mond Extras are all pre-war? I wish I could date it more accurately.

I just sent my razor off to Razor Emporium to be cleaned up and have a tooth fixed. I opted out of the re-plating — I wonder if I should spring for that after all?

Reviving an old thread. It’s exciting to hear this was the razor of the month close to 10 years go! my mom just gave my grandfather’s old razor. It looks quite a bit like this one. He was born in Germany in about 1913 and lived there his whole life. It seems the solid brass Rotbert Mond Extras are all pre-war? I wish I could date it more accurately.

I just sent my razor off to Razor Emporium to be cleaned up and have a tooth fixed. I opted out of the re-plating — I wonder if I should spring for that after all?

And here it is, recently revamped by Razor Emporium. I changed my mind and when with the re-plating. Also, I want to add I was super impressed with the communication and experience with them!
AACD93ED-E645-4E25-A3F0-AB3435E5449F.jpeg
B2C5AA3C-004A-4E50-A3A2-BB2F08C32336.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
And here it is, recently revamped by Razor Emporium. I changed my mind and when with the re-plating. Also, I want to add I was super impressed with the communication and experience with them!
Mond-Extras are a great piece. There's something about the lettering in the knurling that I love. I see your's has a cracked tube. Curious, did you intend to keep it this way? Usually, platers will fix those sort of things before they plate.

Mond-Extras are a great piece. There's something about the lettering in the knurling that I love. I see your's has a cracked tube. Curious, did you intend to keep it this way? Usually, platers will fix those sort of things before they plate.

yeah I noticed the crack when I first got it. They didn’t bring it up at the repair shop so I take it the crack won’t matter, at least in the medium run. I didnt even know it could be fixed.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
yeah I noticed the crack when I first got it. They didn’t bring it up at the repair shop so I take it the crack won’t matter, at least in the medium run. I didnt even know it could be fixed.
Hmm. In my opinion, it tells me they didn't look at it before they replated it. My concern being the crack can still split if nothing was done to stabilize it. I've had ball ends split from nothing at all and also ones which never split.

For me, a replated razor should be free of as many defects as possible. Now, I know some degraded plating cannot be helped as it will show once plated, but I'd expect something like a crack would be addressed before plating.

To be totally honest, the words lack definition as well. I'm not sure what they looked like before the replate though.

It will still shave, as of now, but that neck my get loose over time.

Hello , bought this Rotbart razor today. Is there someone who knews this set ?
IMG_1757.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom