What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, April 2014 - Lady Gillette

In honor of today being my mother's birthday (seriously, not even a little April Fool's joke), and since April is right in the middle of the range of time when much of the world is celebrating their Mother's Day or International Women's Day holidays, I thought we might take an opportunity to fill a pretty large gap we seem to have in our SROTM list: the Lady Gillette. Over the years Gillette has usually had a ladies' offering in amongst their lineup, and I know we've got some excellent examples out there.

I'll kick us off with a throwback to 1915, during the Old Type era, when Gillette first started selling the Milady Decolleté. Here's an ad from the August, 1915 issue of Sunset (Here's separately hosted link for any of our folks who aren't able to get to Google Books resources.)

I chose that particular ad, not just for its Art Nouveau styling, but also because Sunset happened to be running a contest in that issue for their readers to write in with their analysis of any advertisement, and the responses give an interesting hint of the consumer's side of historical advertising that we rarely see. The second prize (of $25) was awarded to Miss Josephine Lincoln of Oklahoma City, who had this to say about the Gillette ad above:

And here's the transcript of her letter, in case reading blurry scans of ad copy isn't particularly enjoyable for all our members :wink2: :

Things to eat, drink and wear, receive first consideration when I read the advertisements, but the words "Milady Decollete Gillette" in the August Sunset, attracted my attention and aroused my curiosity. Was it edible or wearable? Could it be for the house or the automobile?

I did not stop long to analyse the title, but started to read the advertisement. It began with a reference to "gowns," and this being a very interesting subject, I continued. The first two paragraphs were informative and convincing announcements of the recent decree in fashions. When I reached the last paragraph, a revelation awaited me; here was a new offering for the convenience of the woman who cares.

We all may not follow the styles closely or adequately, but when we pretend to scorn the dictates of "Madame Mode," we usually find ourselves falling in line about the time a fad fades into oblivion. The present fashions call peremptorily for new methods, and the appeal of an attractive advertisement had acquainted me with the best means obtainable.

With the name "Gillette" I was familiar, of course, but it had always been connected with masculinity; so when I read the description of this dainty toilet accessory, made especially for us, I knew that it meant "safety first," and my capitulation was complete.

I promptly cancelled an appointment made with a trained nurse who knows how to wield a razor, and telephoned for "Milady Decollete Gillette."

JOSEPHINE B LINCOLN
1131 North Harvey, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma​

Using google, that five dollar price tag is equivalent to $115 to $116 today. Also interesting that it was sold as being more sanitary (I assume than having a barber use a straight razor)

I picked up one of these in a lot I scored from my local enabler, er antique dealer, rather. It's a cute little thing for being nearly 100.

Like any lady, you have to treat her right lest she bites your head off. After a few more dances, I think I'll have her dialed in.

I'm going to have to take it to my girlfriend to see if she wants to try it. She may not see it in such great terms that Ms. Lincoln found it in 1915.

Shave with a "68 every day. Great razor!

$100_1721.JPG

No, it is not a Lady Decollete'. But the Op said Lady Gillette. There was no specific razor referenced in the OP, other than saying he was "kicking off" this thread with the Lady Decollete' . The title of this thread is....... wait for it .....
Lady Gillette.

Last edited:
Thanks, MacDaddy.
I started out in the '70s with one of the black handled Super Speeds. This razor shaves every bit as nice as that one does. A lot of guys wouldn't even touch it because it bears the moniker "Lady". They're missing out. Really great razor!

I bought a Lady Gillette (1962) for my Lady. She has yet to use it.... I'm waiting patiently to get some feedback from her.
I hope she likes DE wet shaving as much as I do.

I've always loved how much thought went into the styling of the Lady Gillette. It's a nice shave too! (I had to try it :D haha)

I've always loved how much thought went into the styling of the Lady Gillette. It's a nice shave too! (I had to try it :D haha)
I love the longer handle, and I actually like the blue color. Not enthusiastic about the stars, but the razor doesn't look feminine to me(except for the pink one, lol).
I use mine every time I shave. It's the only DE I have. I want to get a Superspeed, because that is the razor I started out with in the '70s. But I could be happy for the rest of my life with the Lady Gillette. A wonderful shaver that will remain in my rotation no matter what other razors I acquire.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! The long handle is really nice in my opinion as well. I like the stars though haha, they couldn't have made it look any more late 50s-60s!

Honestly when I picked up my blue Lady Gillette at an estate sale I had no idea it was marketed to women, which I actually think is pretty nice. Not only because it still looks the part in my shave den, but also because it simply shows that Gillette didn't go completely over the top making this thing as feminine as possible just so that women would buy it. They kept it subtly different yet still completely unique from their other razors.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! The long handle is really nice in my opinion as well. I like the stars though haha, they couldn't have made it look any more late 50s-60s!

Honestly when I picked up my blue Lady Gillette at an estate sale I had no idea it was marketed to women, which I actually think is pretty nice. Not only because it still looks the part in my shave den, but also because it simply shows that Gillette didn't go completely over the top making this thing as feminine as possible just so that women would buy it. They kept it subtly different yet still completely unique from their other razors.
Yeah, I had no clue it was a "Lady" Gillette until I posted on one of the shaving forums and someone told me.

I bought a Lady Gillette off B/S/T for my wife a few weeks ago. She loved it so much, she thought it was a shame I only got one for her and not two others for our two daughters (she somehow associates getting razors to go to the drug store and getting two off the rack).

I saw two more on B/S/T and traded my Fatboy for them. One daughter has already used and like it... the other hasn't but seems interested in it.

I bought a Lady Gillette off B/S/T for my wife a few weeks ago. She loved it so much, she thought it was a shame I only got one for her and not two others for our two daughters (she somehow associates getting razors to go to the drug store and getting two off the rack).

I saw two more on B/S/T and traded my Fatboy for them. One daughter has already used and like it... the other hasn't but seems interested in it.
You should give one a try yourself. You may find yourself looking for one as well. MHO.

I have the three ladies and find it interesting that while the blue came in a blue case the other two did no follow suit. The pink and champagne came presumably in white cases. Anyway, bought these for my wife and she appreciated it.

Attachments

• $2012-11-30_20-53-02_76.jpg
    $2012-11-30_20-53-02_76.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks for the information, MacDaddy. I love these old ads and the history of various DE items. The inflation adjusted prices are staggering. Gillette must have been very profitable in the early days.

Top Bottom