What's new

Safety Razor Day to Day Maintenance

I rinse, shake of the water droplets, dry with a towel w/o opening silo doors, and set in on the shelf. I scrub with a soft toothbrush when the mood strikes me. Works fine. :001_smile

Day to day I rinse shake the loose water out pat dry with a towel and put a couple of drops of alcohol on the blade to keep it sanitary. I only take the blade out to change it and once a week when changing blades I'll wipe down the razor itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have really hard water, so what I do is disassemble the razor, rinse off the blade and head, wipe it off with a washcloth, and then hang it on my stand.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm lazy. I load a blade for the week and give it a rinse and a shake when done shaving. That's pretty much it. At the end of the week I clean my razor for the next week.

I soak in isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes or so after each use. Disinfects, displaces water, seems to keep them spiffy clean.

We have extremely hard water in my area but all I do is rinse under hot water, shake and hang it on my stand. If I notice some soap scum on the cap I might wipe it off on a towel just to keep it smooth and shiny.
I generally change blades once a week and during that time I will scrub the entire razor with an old stiff toothbrush, dry it off and hang it to dry until the next day or replace the blade and shave.
I don't really need to scrub it down every time but I like them to look clean and this is all I have ever had to do and they look brand new. Never noticed a single spot of rust on anything including the blades.

I ran the same blade for 20 shaves over about a month and when I disassembled it there was no rust anywhere but a fair amount of soap scum but it cleaned right off with hot water and a brush.

As far as lubricating a TTO, from what I have read they are designed to work without the need for lubrication. The only time I would consider it is if it turns hard or squeaks when turned.

After every shave, I just rinse the razor under the tap, wipe it dry with a towel to remove hard water stains, and put it in its stand. When I change blades (once a week), I scrub the razor down with an old toothbrush and give it an alcohol dip. Then I give it a quick buff with a towel and put it away so it's shiny and clean for next time. I don't generally use one razor in consecutive weeks.

For my ATT razor: Rinse well with hot tap water... Wipe it down with soft hand-towel, takes maybe 30 seconds and it looks like new each morning. I only clean the inside when I change the blade once a week. In that case it's the same, wipe down with a towel.

For a Super Speed type razor I open the doors, rinse under the tap, then close them. Wipe the razor down as described above. At blade change I clean under and inside the deck with a soapy Q-Tip and it just takes 30 seconds and looks like new again.

My razor always looks like new.

Top Bottom