What's new

Safety Razor cuts and irritation

Hey guys Noobie here!

So I've been safety razor shaving for about 4 months now and I really enjoy the process. My first DE Razor I ever used was a Parker 96R which honestly kinda sliced me up so I recently switched to an Edwin Jagger DE89L which I read is more smooth and less aggresive. For creams I noticed that poraso soap caused a lot of cuts so I switched to the cream which gave better results. Anyways without this getting too long my question is even with my technique getting better and using sharper blades (pretty coarse facial hair) I'm still getting cuts on my neck and even on my lip when I go against the grain. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like everytime I shave I get cut atleast twice and I feel that I really shouldn't be getting cut at all. Am I the only guy getting cut even after DE shaving for 4 months? Please help!!

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Astra SP

Thanks! :001_cool:

Welcome to B&B. I think you have good equipment. I have the DE89, poraso and Astra's. I think the problem probably lies with either your technique (angle) or pressure. Check out some videos on youtube if you haven't already.

Plus introduce yourself in the Hall of Fame.

I have a moustache (and goatee), so I can't comment on the lip cut.
I use the Muhle R89 which has the same head as the EJ D89L, or so I've been told. I have yet to get a cut, but I did have an episode with irritation on my neck when I first started.
To solve the problem, I moved my grip lower on the handle, (prevent me from putting too much pressure on the head of the razor). I used short strokes. That way the looser skin on my neck wasn't getting bunched up in front of the razor and catch the blade. I also maintained better control over the razor this way. Maintaining an angle can get difficult on a long stroke over curved terrain.

There are some pictures on grip in the Wiki section.http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_Razor_Grips
I grip further away from the head than shown in the images, but basically the same three finger grip.
It took me a month, (getting better all along), but now it is as if the razor helps find the best angle when you don't have a full fisted grip on the handle.
Good Luck. I'm sure you'll lock it in.

Hardly anyone will notice if you stop shaving ATG. Try shaving WTG and XTG for a while- your results should be good enough and if you can avoid the cuts and discomfort, you will be a long way better off.

I have been doing this for years and only very, very occasionally shave ATG.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B.

This is good advice.

Welcome to B&B. I think you have good equipment. I have the DE89, poraso and Astra's. I think the problem probably lies with either your technique (angle) or pressure. Check out some videos on youtube if you haven't already.

Plus introduce yourself in the Hall of Fame.

I think the problem probably lies with either your technique (angle) or pressure.

These seem the most likely reasons to me. Whenever I have irritation, it's from applying pressure. Be patient, with practice comes improvement. One day it will just click. Enjoy!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Pressure is the easiest way to produce weepers - those small dots of blood. If you're actually slicing yourself we're in another whole ballpark. You might want to experiment with a slightly less aggressive razor angle. The good news is that less pressure is instantly available - and for free. If you're not dropping the razor in the sink you have enough pressure.

Blades don't produce weepers, but there are certain blade/face combinations that make them more likely. I'll assume you've tried a handful of blades and found the one that works the best for you.

I can't go ATG on my upper lip - weepers every time. Here's what works for me: WTG, WTG, XTG with blade buffing. You may find you have areas that will not tolerate ATG.

One thing is certain: if you do what you did you'll get what you got. I think you need to experiment as this is not an acceptable situation. I often go a month with no weepers - and I'm nothing special with a razor.

You may want to consider trying an adjustable down the road. It's nice to be able to dial down the aggression for the problem areas.

The only way I can do ATG is to barely hold the razor against the skin. It's the lightest pressure imaginable but it produces results.

linty1

My wallet cries.
+1 one on all of the above, one more thing, don't throw/give away the Parker 96! Save it for down the line and go back to it, maybe you'll be surprised? Good luck and welcome aboard!

Almost certainly your cuts and irritation are due to needing to dial in your technique. You're not the first person, a few months in (nor was I), to experience some problems perhaps even after some earlier success.

The solution is almost always to go back and revisit the basics.

• Everyone maps their face, but it's perhaps most important with your neck.
  • Focus on gently stretching the skin to create small, flat planes - shave with short strokes. It's too easy to "press a little harder" for those trouble areas such as curve or round areas or hollow such as either side of your Adam's apple.
  • Revisit that your lather is providing slickness. This may be different than thick, cushioning lather.
  • Don't let the perfect BBS get in the way of the good SAS or DFS - BBS will come with time - minus the discomfort.
  • Focus on having fun and enjoying your shave. As above, BBS will come.

I'm still a relative rookie and to get a comfortable, bloodless shave I'm finding I need to stick to mild razors and milder blades and to avoid shaving against the grain till I maybe get a bit better at this. I figure it makes sense to ease my way slowly up to shaper blades and more aggressive razors. I find I can get a very nice and satisfying shave keeping my choices on the mild side and not shaving any more aggressively than across the grain.

I am no expert is using de razors in any way but what I have learned in de shaving is that even when you think you arent applying too much pressure you probably are if you are still getting irritation also mapping your beard and your prep with lather is really important I find that with zero pressure and a good slick lather that has cushion along with a sharp blade can make the difference and give you a great shave

Welcome to B&B! I think you have gotten some good advice above and I suspect there is a combination of too much pressure and still not a perfect technique. Sometimes just patience and trial and error will assist you in figuring out what will work for you. I personally had to ultimately return to shaving in the same direction I used to shave with a cart. Razor. And then work out the right pressure level through trial ano error. I now do two total ATG passes and a little touchup if necessary, usually not necessary, and I had to start using Noxzema face cleanser on the face and lather on top to get the irritation free and BBS shave I was seeking.

for each of us the routine and specifics are all a bit different, just like our beards, we are after all all indiviuals and unique. But angle, pressure, and technique is pretty much a common denominator for all who use a DE razor. They all have to come together and be consistent to get consistent results. One year in and I am still definitely learning, but I am getting better shaves than I have ever had in my over thirty years of shaving. So be patient, and work on the big three, and things will start to get better!

I am no expert is using de razors in any way but what I have learned in de shaving is that even when you think you arent applying too much pressure you probably are if you are still getting irritation also mapping your beard and your prep with lather is really important I find that with zero pressure and a good slick lather that has cushion along with a sharp blade can make the difference and give you a great shave
+1

Some guys simply cannot shave ATG without paying a price. I'm one of those. I only go WTG then XTG and done. I suppose i could do ATG on my cheeks and maybe jawline, but no way on upper lip or lower neck.

Experiment with NOT going ATG in those trouble areas where you are getting cuts or irritation.

Hardly anyone will notice if you stop shaving ATG. Try shaving WTG and XTG for a while- your results should be good enough and if you can avoid the cuts and discomfort, you will be a long way better off.

I have been doing this for years and only very, very occasionally shave ATG.
+1

Top Bottom