What's new

Safety Razor Blades while Travelling

I am going to be travelling to Santiago, Chile this fall for about a week and would like to bring my safety razor, but I also don't want to spend the extra price for an international checked bag on top of a flight that's already over $1,000. I'm having trouble locating stores in Santiago that carry any kind of safety razor blade. Does anyone know of one such?

Have you thought about maybe calling or reaching out to your hotel? They may have a concierge who would be willing to look into this for you. Otherwise, the suggestion to ship them to the hotel ahead of time is a sound one. Enjoy your travels!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would not take any DE razor in carry on luggage that I could not stand to be confiscated, blade or no blade. Domestic maybe, but certainly not international. There may be no valid reason for a DE razor to be confiscated, but they do not need a reason, valid or not. In some countries if you argue about it, because you know all about your rights and about TSA rules, then you can lose a lot more than just a razor. Happy travels.

I would not take any DE razor in carry on luggage that I could not stand to be confiscated, blade or no blade. Domestic maybe, but certainly not international. There may be no valid reason for a DE razor to be confiscated, but they do not need a reason, valid or not. In some countries if you argue about it, because you know all about your rights and about TSA rules, then you can lose a lot more than just a razor. Happy travels.
11 countries and counting without a problem. Think I've thrown away 2 or 3 blades over the years. Of course if you're worried about it, don't do it.
You also always run the risk of being jailed for looking the wrong way at someone or kidnapped for ransom... which I'm honestly way more concerned with in South American countries... maybe best to just stay home.

No. They won't. Why would they, you remove the blade, there's no issue. Have done, and not done it many times.

From TSA...

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Respectfully, your advice is misleading. Flaunting safety regulations is ill advised behavior with potentially serious consequences.

Thanks all for the advice, though I will not be breaking any TSA rules if I can help it. As a follow-up, I'll be staying with a family and don't want to inconvenience them in any way while there, so I'd rather locate a nearby store that has some, although I realize Santiago is huge, so a drug store chain would be preferable as I will be more likely to locate one nearby. Mailing blades to a hotel seems fine, but mailing them to someone's home just seems pretentious or supercilious. I also don't know exactly where in Santiago I'll be. My alternative is indeed to go with a disposable razor if I can locate no DE blades, but I can at least have my own soap and brush. I'm planning to travel with a stick of Arko, which should arrive in a few days so I can test it out beforehand.

Reactions: ctr
For a week, suffer and use a cartridge disposable. You'll get through it. You'll be able to buy a low cost DE razor and blades when you're there and you can bring back the razor as a souvenir if you can't go a week without one.
Any recommendations on a TSA-passable disposable razor that can approximate a quality shave?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Any recommendations on a TSA-passable disposable razor that can approximate a quality shave?
The Bic Metal is the best disposable I have used by far. A single blade, fixed head, and no silly lubra strip. It gives a shave every bit as good as any DE I have ever used, plus the required technique is similar to that of a DE so you will not develop any bad habits. You may never want to give them up! Enjoy your trip.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Medical Skin Prep razors may be the answer.
The blades are not removable, so they meet TSA safety regulations.
b45066820eb78c0af174ecaf702112d91790e5dd8c23e7fb7e0e5b5f994fc02d__66389.png

Some models even have a built-in DE blade with an AC blade-like edge protection mesh, which seems to be specially made, and I can't find such a DE blade sold separately on the market.
75-4005_2294_detail.jpg

Of course, I hade seen B&B members find a way to carefully disassemble and replace them with their favorite blade brands.

In my searching, I did find this, though.... If I could find one of these while there, I'd totally buy it. I'd be interested to see how it compares to my 1959 Gillette Tech. The head looks very similar.

Now maybe this sounds crazy, but could someone with a 3D printer print a disposable safety razor around their own razor blade, thus creating a way for them to carry their safety razor on the plane while also getting the blade quality they like? I don't have a 3D printer, but it sounds like an intriguing idea if TSA would go for it.

I've never been there, but it seems they do have Schick blades in Chile. I'd recommend you keep your eye out for them at kiosks and pharmacies. This company has them on their webstore, and has a physical store in Santiago at San Pablo 3060, Santiago Centro. This website indicates that Pharma Express carries them, located at Amunátegui 273, Santiago, 8340433, Región Metropolitana
1662754431977.png

Last edited:
Have you thought about maybe calling or reaching out to your hotel? They may have a concierge who would be willing to look into this for you. Otherwise, the suggestion to ship them to the hotel ahead of time is a sound one. Enjoy your travels!

+1! This^

Top Bottom