What's new

Safety Razor and my Noggin

Recently started shaving my head mostly due to the heat and also I have a tattoo on my head and well want it to be visible, been using a Mach 3 to shave it and not my safety razor...mostly cause I'm leery about dicing my head up lol. Any advice? Any head shavers here use their DE on their skull?

I been shaving with a DE so long I forgot how damned expensive disposables are, not that I don't have the cash to order a frigging crate of them...I just don't like being "Ripped Off"...that's how I see their prices as being. Mach 3's are the only ones I'll bother with, dislike 5 or more blades it's ridiculous along with the prices.

I have used a DE on my head but prefer an injector razor. When I first started shaving my head I used the same razor that I was using on my head. I have a number of DE, SE, and injector razors in my rotation and when I got to the injector I realized it worked best for me.

The main challenge in using a DE on your head is to maintain the correct angle when shaving the back of your head - at least for me. I found that using an injector makes the angle easier for me.

All I got is a few DE's and this Mach 3, and yeah I figured the angle will be the trick to it. Being blind while shaving is gonna be new to me, but...think one night I am just gonna go for it...just slow and methodical and hope I can get it right lol other wise switch to that Mach 3 till I can get the DE technique down. Also been looking at those Head Blades, not sure if their just a gimmick or legit...kinda looks dumb to me...but no clue never used one.

My nephew uses the head blade and he says it works for him. However, I see that he misses a lot of spots with it particularly around his ears. A friend uses a DE on his face but a Mach III on his head. He says he gets over 15 shaves with the Mach III.

2 year head shaver here. Personally I use the Mach 3 great value brand cartridges. I don't find that I necessarily get a better shave with a DE, and it takes much longer to get a decent shave. This might just be user error with the DE as I didn't give it that much of a chance on my head. I've also used the Headblade MOTO. It was nice but again cartridge price is ridiculous. For convenience, and price I use the Mach 3. Hope this helps and as always YMMV.

I’ve been shaving my head for years and have tried using a DE razor but never felt comfortable and it’s always been much slower getting the job done because I’m extra careful. I’ve been using the aluminum Razorock Hawk with feather pro guard blades for over a year almost exclusively and it does an amazing job. Quick, safe and close. Harly ever any nicks or cuts or irritation. If it’s been more than three days since I shaved my head I grab a cheap Gillette guard and do my first pass with that as it never clogs. If I’m in a real hurry I will just do two passes with the Gillette Guard and call it done. The Gilette Guard does a really good quick safe job If you’re looking for a damn fine shave rather than BBS on your head

Oldest son started head shaving a few years ago now. Uses the same DE that he uses for his face. I winced when he started but I think he has maybe nicked himself once, maybe. Generally a close shave all the time, he's not as patient as I think he needs to be to get a BBS shave. But it works very well for him.

He has a Lord L6 DE, bought online for him and he's been using it for over four years now. We even have an extra just in case but it seems to keep on ticking. The long handle I think helps.

Oh we shaved his head once with a cart and it clogged like crazy so the DE was the best option.

I shave my head every day. Recently, I went on a 2+ week vacation and forgot my injector. I borrowed one of my wife's Sensor 3 disposable razors and it worked fine for me. We were away 15 days and I used the same razor for 13 days (I tried using my DE on the first two days but it was taking me too much time).

Wow lots of good advice, might give my DE a go and see how that turns out and go from there. Suppose if nothing else I'll see where I can get Mach 3 carts on the cheap, it dose a good job pretty quick. The Headblade I figured would be a pretty pricey thing and all so not a surprise there, the Gilette Guard seems to what be out of production or? Certainly not on their site but razors come and go so easily on the disposable market.

Been using a DE to shave my head for a couple years. There's really not much to it if you use one on your beard, angle and pressure. Don't over think it, just give it a go with a razor you are comfortable with.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Italian barber sells the Gillette Guard. Or you can order them cheap on Ebay. I believe they are only marketed in India. I’ve ordered mine from ebay. 11 bucks Canadian free shipping for three razors and 19 carts

Literally the same thing i use (mach 3). Im jist starting the road on straights and im gonna order a DE also. In also hopeing it will work well for my dome. Im afraid i cant see well enough to use a straight on my head.

Good luck !

I grab a cheap Gillette guard and do my first pass with that as it never clogs. If I’m in a real hurry I will just do two passes with the Gillette Guard and call it done. The Gilette Guard does a really good quick safe job If you’re looking for a damn fine shave rather than BBS on your head
+1
Many on this forum have used a Gillette Guard cartridge razor for head shaving.
The Guard has a freely swiveling head & a single blade which makes it ideal for headshaving.
They are available at West coast shaving for $2
Gillette Guard Cartridge Razor

Cartridges for $0.50
Gillette Guard Replacement Cartridge Blades

Last edited:
+1
Many on this forum have used a Gillette Guard cartridge razor for head shaving.
The Guard has a freely swiveling head & a single blade which makes it ideal for headshaving.
They are available at West coast shaving for $2
Gillette Guard Cartridge Razor

Cartridges for $0.50
Gillette Guard Replacement Cartridge Blades

Thanks a ton I'll place an order for some of those tomorrow, cheaper than the Mach 3 and I like single blade best. Well shaved my head with my DE and went really well though took my time and practically got a BBS, with my Merkur 34C HD and a new Astra Platinum...Mama Bears Toasted Coconut soap too. Pretty darn good though I did use the Mach 3 to bade buff what little sand paper spots I had left, eh who needs a head blade any way lol.

Glad I came back here, got my dome shaved proper and got the hook up on some Guard shopping which I'll def try asap when they arrive here on the FOB.

Thanks a TON!

I use a double edge on my face, but use the Walmart Equate version of the Mach III for my head. I shave my head three times a week and use the cartridge for two months - I dont have much hair left! I tried using a double edged on my head but it was very slow going and I would inevitably cut myself. The cheaper Equate cartridge works fine for me.

Ive been DE shaving my head for around 12 months now, it was tricky at first and required a bit of 'left handed shaving' as well. Its cost me a couple of nicks here and there, but overall I much prefer it now to my previous method (which was a mach3). I generally use my free hand to 'feel' my way around whilst shaving with the other. As said by others on this thread, blade angle is the key, but as long as you're not tempted to dig in or put too much pressure on, its just a bit of trial and error and eventually you find the sweet spot (even though you cant see it...)

Guess this thread has given me the enthusiasm to give this a shot. I was weary to put a DE to my head because of the consistent angle needed. But i guess the learning curve will just be steep.

Thanks a ton I'll place an order for some of those tomorrow, cheaper than the Mach 3 and I like single blade best. Well shaved my head with my DE and went really well though took my time and practically got a BBS, with my Merkur 34C HD and a new Astra Platinum...Mama Bears Toasted Coconut soap too. Pretty darn good though I did use the Mach 3 to bade buff what little sand paper spots I had left, eh who needs a head blade any way lol.

Glad I came back here, got my dome shaved proper and got the hook up on some Guard shopping which I'll def try asap when they arrive here on the FOB.

Thanks a TON!
Did you try them out?

Did you try them out?

Well haven't much been around since I've gone abroad from my fob a day ago, finally was able to find a port where I am now for my laptop. Planning on making an order for those possibly tomorrow with luck and a connection, atm though I'm gonna use my old Merkur 34c HD on my head...cut my beard the other day..needed regrown due to creeping lines. I'll let you know when I get some and post the results here.

Top Bottom