What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Please pardon my ignorance, but how is this different from a fatboy? (aside from the gold color of course)
Before you jump on me, I'm new to vintage razors.... :)

It goes without saying, but GORGEOUS pickup.

- Badger Bill

I recently acquired a Gillette fatboy '59 and cannot believe how good it is. I actually feel stupid for not buying a vintage razor for this long.
I would say they are better than the new ones out there, obviously my opinion but I have used a fair amount of razors and nothing compared to my fatboy!

Please pardon my ignorance, but how is this different from a fatboy? (aside from the gold color of course)

- Badger Bill

Besides the color, there is a slightly different knurling pattern on the handle and there might be a slight weight difference, though I can't remember for sure on the weight. That could be my imagination.

- Badger Bill

From what I have been able to determine there is no difference, it is a gold fatboy.

Besides the color, there is a slightly different knurling pattern on the handle and there might be a slight weight difference, though I can't remember for sure on the weight. That could be my imagination.

Curiosity got the better of me. A D3 Executive and an E3 Fatboy weigh the same according to my scale. The knurling is different between the two.

Nice find, have you tried shaving yet? It looks as if there might be an alignment issue. There are a handful of threads on here discussing how to easily fix it.
So I've been able to take a closer look at the razor now and it definitely appears to be slightly off. To my eye it looks like one side is higher, or maybe lower...hard to say which is correct and which is off...maybe a bit of both for all know. Here are a few pics to help

Doors loose, most obvious this way
proxy.php

Doors tightly shut
proxy.php

If I really dial the TTO in hard and and as tight as i can make it it does get better but still looks to be maybe a hair off. I'm hoping this falls under the easily fixed umbrella, I'm a bit bummed it's there at all I was looking forward to test driving it tomorrow! I am pretty much the opposite of handy so hopefully it's not too big of a repair.

Any tips or can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions? Or am i better off starting a new thread about this...?

Thanks in advance!

Curiosity got the better of me. A D3 Executive and an E3 Fatboy weigh the same according to my scale. The knurling is different between the two.

Don't have a fatboy yet (it's in the mail though!) so I had nothing to compare to, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
picked up this stuff at a local auction this weekend. nothing special but only 27 bucks. the parker 51 vacumatic will easily make up for the cost :001_tt2: there is actually a lot more but this is the good stuff. i also had to buy the junk to get to the good stuff lol
Says the guy who found and bought a Chrome Toggle while biking...:drool:

Top Bottom