What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Two somewhat obscure new members of my NEW collection arrived today, and I am very pleased with their condition.

The first is a 1930s NEW Tuckaway with a short common bar handle weighing in at 52 grams. The case is in good condition showing some degree of wear that might (and I mean might) improve with a polish. The lining and printing on the top lining are in very good condition. The blade bank was empty and shows the most wear. It's possible that it isn't original, but it is the correct type. The razor itself is in excellent condition with "sharp" feeling knurling and an almost mirror-like finish on the top cap. It is a short comb head, which is only the second one in my collection. I look forward to shaving with it. Some photos:

PXL_20221209_174638939.jpg
PXL_20221209_174417270.jpg
PXL_20221209_174511549.jpg

The second is a 1930s "Bar None" razor sold by a Gillette subsidiary, Otto Roth, Inc. The head is essentially a Gillette NEW Long Comb, but the handle is a thin variant of Gillette's common bar handle. The photos show that the head is marked with Gillette patent numbers but not the Gillette name or diamond logo. Instead, the head is stamped "OTTO ROTH, INC." The handle also feels very lightweight. The razor weighs only 44 grams, 8 grams lighter than the short-handled NEW Tuckaway. This one is also in excellent condition with very little wear showing on any surface.

PXL_20221209_175044743.jpg
PXL_20221209_175134005.jpg

I scored this 1959 E-4 Executive at one of my regular second-hand stores. They literally have a razor once in a blue moon so I wasn’t looking for one at all. It cleaned nicely, althought It required a few short sessions in the ultrasonic cleaner and penetrant oil to free the lifter plate which was packed with limescale & dried soap. My 1st razor purchase in 4 years and one of very few razors that I’ve found locally.

4C38B284-B87A-4DDE-B347-2DB32ECE4A89.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always liked the look of the Gillette New Improved Tuckaway, but have never spotted one for sale (here in the UK).

A Jade Milady Décolletée appeared on the UK eBay. I believe this is the same razor, barring the plating (the Tuckaway being silver and the Milady being gold). I made an offer, which was accepted, and it arrived yesterday. :cornut:

Today I took some photos (it's used but in pretty fair condition):
Milady-Jade-Décolletée-1_2022-12-10.jpg

Milady-Jade-Décolletée-2_2022-12-10.jpg

Milady-Jade-Décolletée-3_2022-12-10.jpg

Milady-Jade-Décolletée-4_2022-12-10.jpg

Milady-Jade-Décolletée-5_2022-12-10.jpg

Milady-Jade-Décolletée-6_2022-12-10.jpg

I shaved with it yesterday and today and it is already my Top Favorite razor! :001_wub:

Medium.jpg

A replating in silver or mirror nickel has been predicted in the not too distant future. :w00t:

I've always liked the look of the Gillette New Improved Tuckaway, but have never spotted one for sale (here in the UK).

A Jade Milady Décolletée appeared on the UK eBay. I believe this is the same razor, barring the plating (the Tuckaway being silver and the Milady being gold). I made an offer, which was accepted, and it arrived yesterday. :cornut:

Today I took some photos (it's used but in pretty fair condition):
View attachment 1570844

View attachment 1570845

View attachment 1570846

View attachment 1570847

View attachment 1570848

View attachment 1570849

I shaved with it yesterday and today and it is already my Top Favorite razor! :001_wub:

View attachment 1570851
A replating in silver or mirror nickel has been predicted in the not too distant future. :w00t:

I also find the New Improved to be one (if not the most) of my favorite Gillette razors. The angle is like made for me and I kinda wish more razors are like that. I still don't know why it's considered to be a very harsh and aggressive razor by a lot of folks.

Christmas came early for me.

A Christmas present from myself to myself arrived today. A beautiful 1955 Gillette Flair tip. Straight from Chris at Back Roads Gold just in time for an early Christmas present for myself.

I've been shaving with a 1955 flair tip for years. It's one of my favourite razors. But i recently decided that it was time that I gave myself a treat so sent one off to Chris to work his magic.

I know it's not exactly traditional and not quite how KCG envisaged these razors approx 70 years ago, but to me it's looking absolutely perfect. And in my opinion, better than the day that it left the factory.

Chris has done the doors in palladium, the guard, T-bar, end caps and handle in 24K Gold and the flair tip TTO in palladium.

Chris was fantastic to work with, great friendly communication and the work was completed faster than expected. TBH I really couldn't be happier with the work that Back Roads Gold has done and I'm absolutely stoked to have a "fancy pants" 1955 flair tip razor as my daily user.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Cheers
AT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212_205542.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212_205542.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20221212_205525.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212_205525.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20221212_205503.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212_205503.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 22
Christmas came early for me.

A Christmas present from myself to myself arrived today. A beautiful 1955 Gillette Flair tip. Straight from Chris at Back Roads Gold just in time for an early Christmas present for myself.

I've been shaving with a 1955 flair tip for years. It's one of my favourite razors. But i recently decided that it was time that I gave myself a treat so sent one off to Chris to work his magic.

I know it's not exactly traditional and not quite how KCG envisaged these razors approx 70 years ago, but to me it's looking absolutely perfect. And in my opinion, better than the day that it left the factory.

Chris has done the doors in palladium, the guard, T-bar, end caps and handle in 24K Gold and the flair tip TTO in palladium.

Chris was fantastic to work with, great friendly communication and the work was completed faster than expected. TBH I really couldn't be happier with the work that Back Roads Gold has done and I'm absolutely stoked to have a "fancy pants" 1955 flair tip razor as my daily user.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Cheers
AT
You must join the BRGAS 😁. Beautiful razor👍

Last edited:
Wasn’t cheap ($30) but I’ve never seen one in the wild before. Had to snag it. I’ll try it with the skinny handle at least once but I don’t really dig it. Probably use it with fat Tech handle from another razor.
Flat Bottom Techs rock! :punk:

... and from the look of that one, you stole it at that price. That's just my opinion, but bear in mind that I come from the UK where FBTs are more plentiful than on your side of the pond. :wink2:

FOOTNOTE
I love this stuff:
Beef-Dripping_2022-11-24.jpg

I guess I’m unable to forget that members have found bottom dials for $5. Something that is not likely to happen around here.

I got my screen name from the show Two Fat Ladies. “If you don’t have butter you could always use beef drippings.”
Flat Bottom Techs rock! :punk:

... and from the look of that one, you stole it at that price. That's just my opinion, but bear in mind that I come from the UK where FBTs are more plentiful than on your side of the pond. :wink2:

FOOTNOTE
I love this stuff:
View attachment 1571561

Top Bottom