What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I hit the antique shops again for Black Friday and scooped up this cased Super Speed at 20% off!

1669483670655.jpeg

1669483704899.jpeg

After more than two months, the package has finally arrived and I've reached a whole new level of insanity :letterk1:. The head Karve Overlander and the Gillette Bulldog have been replated by Chris from Back Roads Gold in Palladium while the Blackland Dart has been polished. These are my first replated razors and I have to say I'm impressed. Chris did a very good job and I just hope those razors shave as good as they look. I'm definitely going to send him more razors in the future for repairs or replating.

The first two pictures are made by me and they kinda suck, so I've decided to attach the pictures send by Chris.

316681521_3410842352527703_6490900968288405330_n.jpg
316800413_3410842262527712_7644091308897645305_n.jpg
IMG_20221003_134952(1).jpg
IMG_20221003_135001(1).jpg
IMG_20221003_135028(1).jpg
IMG_20221004_123225(1).jpg
IMG_20221004_123234(1).jpg
IMG_20221004_123248(1).jpg

I'm still pretty new to this whole vintage thing (and I definitely need to take a break from acquisitions for a while soon, as it's getting a bit out of hand and my little collection is already bigger than I ever intended or imagined) but I am gathering that sometimes you have to take a risk. So, when I saw this lovely old thing listed as defective/ersatz - the seller said they couldn't figure out why it shaved so aggressively - I was intrigued.

1669721082700.jpeg

It was listed at a *very* modest starting price (considering what it is, if salvageable), and there was not a single bid by the end of the auction... So now it's here with me, in it's nickel-plated case - which was in good shape outside after a polish but pretty dilapidated inside, so I've done my best to re-upholster it, so to speak.

1669721108474.jpeg

I have read that this particular flavor of Aristocrat - the 2nd generation, circa 1948 - is not the smoothest shaver of it's kind to start with, but it's still a lovely piece of shaving history and I feel it's worth trying my hand at. Its Rhodium plating has held up quite well, though there's a bit of brassing around the safety bars and a few spots on the wide bands on the handle. I tried not to over-polish it, since Rhodium seems to take a shine pretty easily.

I did find it on the aggressive side on our first shave together, and I feel like the blade is not being held as firmly as it should - one of the wings is a bit loose when fully closed without a blade (which the seller pointed out, in fact), so I'm experimenting with shimming in various ways, to see if it can be modified to hold things together a bit tighter and hopefully give a shave as nice as it looks... Any tips are appreciated!

1669721146847.jpeg

Otherwise I feel like something in the mechanism - the little arms that the wings are attached to? - might need to be bent into shape to clamp the blade down a bit harder, and with my limited knowledge I am loathe to get into that kind of thing, for fear of disaster...

Edit: After a bit more research, I think I have found an innovative solution combining a reverse shim and tape strips (on the shim, not the razor!) which has neatly solved the whole problem to my satisfaction! I am officially a happy Aristo-camper!

I'm still pretty new to this whole vintage thing (and I definitely need to take a break from acquisitions for a while soon, as it's getting a bit out of hand and my little collection is already bigger than I ever intended or imagined) but I am gathering that sometimes you have to take a risk. So, when I saw this lovely old thing listed as defective/ersatz - the seller said they couldn't figure out why it shaved so aggressively - I was intrigued.

View attachment 1564023

It was listed at a *very* modest starting price (considering what it is, if salvageable), and there was not a single bid by the end of the auction... So now it's here with me, in it's nickel-plated case - which was in good shape outside after a polish but pretty dilapidated inside, so I've done my best to re-upholster it, so to speak.

View attachment 1564024

I have read that this particular flavor of Aristocrat - the 2nd generation, circa 1948 - is not the smoothest shaver of it's kind to start with, but it's still a lovely piece of shaving history and I feel it's worth trying my hand at. Its Rhodium plating has held up quite well, though there's a bit of brassing around the safety bars and a few spots on the wide bands on the handle. I tried not to over-polish it, since Rhodium seems to take a shine pretty easily.

I did find it on the aggressive side on our first shave together, and I feel like the blade is not being held as firmly as it should - one of the wings is a bit loose when fully closed without a blade (which the seller pointed out, in fact), so I'm experimenting with shimming in various ways, to see if it can be modified to hold things together a bit tighter and hopefully give a shave as nice as it looks... Any tips are appreciated!

View attachment 1564025

Otherwise I feel like something in the mechanism - the little arms that the wings are attached to? - might need to be bent into shape to clamp the blade down a bit harder, and with my limited knowledge I am loathe to get into that kind of thing, for fear of disaster...

Edit: After a bit more research, I think I have found an innovative solution combining a reverse shim and tape strips (on the shim, not the razor!) which has neatly solved the whole problem to my satisfaction! I am officially a happy Aristo-camper!
I had a slightly defective American Aristocrat that Chris at Back Roads Gold repaired when replating. It's now a wonderful performer.

Got a Razorock Mamba 70 with a barberpole handle delivered today. Excellent razor. Love how little blade feel there is yet was able to mow down 6 days growth with relative ease. Only a couple of small weepers which I contribute to the amount of growth and poor prep (I usually shower shave which works better for my skin but I didn't want to wait for tomorrow). This will likely be my go to razor going forward.

I had a slightly defective American Aristocrat that Chris at Back Roads Gold repaired when replating. It's now a wonderful performer.

Good call, I'm also considering having someone with more experience have a look at it. Chris gets nothing but rave reviews here but I'm in Berlin, and am not inclined to send things across an ocean and back. However, there's someone in the area who does replating and repair; I bought a gold-replated New LC from him a while back and it seems like good work. So that might happen at some point.

Another package. Was supposed to be shipped with the slim I posted Thursday. But hey it's here!

A Gillette F-1 Fatboy with case. As delivered, very grungy and looking like it was done!

An hours worth of cleaning and the Fatboy and case looks great. Still need to do a bit more to the case but still cleaned up easily.

8A31F6D6-41E0-4CF1-A5F0-34964CC00995.jpeg

47F9C31B-CD19-418E-AF9E-6A4B4271EF57.jpeg

D706F4C9-539D-4A99-BD00-9AF5DF394E12.jpeg

F42DEF1B-DCA0-421F-A98F-DA8EB05E1B1A.jpeg

5DD37C07-2BF0-4626-95F5-DD63B0FF5F66.jpeg

B3FC674D-7AA0-4E55-9F03-3B5147BB7689.jpeg

Top Bottom