What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Another little lot soon to be on my counter top.
Not sure what super speeds these are with two different handles? I like the early style super speeds but will give one of these flair tips a shave and see how I like it.
Now I must fight with myself, No more razors!!

View attachment 1558582
View attachment 1558583

Yes, the one on the lower left is a TV Special, lower right is a 60s Flare Tip, upper left is a 50s Flare Tip, and the upper right is a Fatboy, probably around '64.

Mail call.

1A64EBE0-4417-4175-A824-B96EE6D6A922.jpeg

F98933F2-F674-4674-ADA7-284146439049.jpeg

1F0C17DB-711F-43E5-8C94-A60B289ECBC3.jpeg

E660B187-82F3-48CE-9700-B4DCAE5A3075.jpeg

084C5F24-630D-4060-B946-184AC6775A67.jpeg

I received this little French travel set today. Marked Le Pullman Depose. Silver plated. I have no information on it and I am hopeful that @The French provider or someone else on the forum can fill in the blanks. Would like to find out the date it was made and info on the company. I love travel razors and this one is unique and new to me. I've never seen another one like it.

The case is very well made. The top is spring loaded and pops open when the button is pressed, revealing a solid guard DE safety razor with an internally threaded telescoping handle. Extended the handle internal threads engage and when firmly tightened it is very sturdy. There is room in the case for blades also. The design is similar to early to mid-century cigarette cases and the lid opens like a vintage lighter. Very cool.

I'll give it a go on Sunday morning and report on the shave.
IMG_4971.jpegIMG_4972.jpegIMG_4974.jpegIMG_4975.jpegIMG_4976.jpegIMG_4977.jpegIMG_4978.jpegIMG_4979.jpegIMG_4980.jpeg

I received this little French travel set today. Marked Le Pullman Depose. Silver plated. I have no information on it and I am hopeful that @The French provider or someone else on the forum can fill in the blanks. Would like to find out the date it was made and info on the company. I love travel razors and this one is unique and new to me. I've never seen another one like it.

The case is very well made. The top is spring loaded and pops open when the button is pressed, revealing a solid guard DE safety razor with an internally threaded telescoping handle. Extended the handle internal threads engage and when firmly tightened it is very sturdy. There is room in the case for blades also. The design is similar to early to mid-century cigarette cases and the lid opens like a vintage lighter. Very cool.

I'll give it a go on Sunday morning and report on the shave.
View attachment 1558938View attachment 1558939View attachment 1558940View attachment 1558941View attachment 1558942View attachment 1558943View attachment 1558945View attachment 1558946View attachment 1558947
That's awesome!

Couldn't pass this one-two value pack up: a 1963 Slim (date code I1), and as a bonus a flare-tip Rocket of uncertain vintage, for what I felt was a very fair and reasonable price. I'd been wanting to try a TTO or two, and well, now I have two (and counting?).

1668949090339.jpeg

They were in decent shape on arrival, though definitely in need of some TLC... Both cleaned up rather nicely, though there's a small fleck of plating missing on the handle of the Slim, visible in the picture below... Not sure what, if anything, can be done about that sort of thing (anyone?), but at least it won't affect the shave!

1668949145495.jpeg

The Rocket is more or less flawless - it looks like new to me, and after a drop of oil its TTO mechanism is smooth as butter - though the Slim is not far behind!

1668949184077.jpeg

I don't know if there's any way to narrow down the age of the Rocket, in the absence of date codes. The patent number is there (694093), and "Made In England", but no 'II', 'A' or 'S' stamp as they sometimes have, and the end caps are crimped inwards like an American SuperSpeed. I believe someone somewhere suggested this might indicate a somewhat later production date - 1960s? It also appears to have a lower profile head than the 1950s models. Comments welcome if anyone knows any more than that!

Anyway, my first shave with the Slim (with a Dollar blade from India) was an absolute joy, details in my Around The World In 80 Blades journal...

Bought 3 Soviet razors. Mid- to late 80s. ТОНУС-3 (TONUS-3)
2 NOS and one used. My father has the black plate model. Manufactured by the Moscow refrigerator plant. The grey bottom plate (later) is milder, the black bottom plate is aggressive - right up my alley. Half of my metal razors don't hold a candle to that 13g razor. I just lather, shave with it and get a super close shave without a single nick.

TONUS-3 3x.jpg

Rocket HD 500

1669029000248.jpeg

This was an impulse buy because the price was well within the comfort zone... And while it was obviously not in pristine shape I hoped I could bring it back to life. Although it's in an original plastic case (without cracks!) it did not come with the stylish blue blade holder, and anyway is far from collectible condition.

1669029025951.jpeg

I'm reasonably happy with what I've managed to do with it so far, after cleanup, sanitization, lubrication and polish, but there are still some black spots from what appears to be corrosion here and there (more on the handle than the head and hopefully not affecting the shave). I'm ok with it being a bit of an ugly duckling if it shaves as well as many seem to feel they do, but it's a bit irksome nonetheless, so if anyone knows a magic way to make those disappear, I'm all ears!

1669029075545.jpeg

Mechanically speaking, it felt a bit gritty out of the package, but now it opens and closes with the same buttery smoothness of my flare-tip. This one is likely a bit older, though with Rockets it's sometimes hard to say for sure. It certainly looks a tad more aggressive, with its higher head profile, but it feels very precise and balanced in the hand. Looking forward to getting to know it!

After almost 2 yrs of rude love with R41 and upon squeezing the last drop of its potential I decided to move a step forward. In need of something at least as efficient as R41 but more gentle and milder to my skin. After having read hundreds of lines, my final verdict would be Leresche #77, you might have different opinions, however would like to keep that option. No TTOs, no adjustables. I kindly ask you to give me some hints about reliable vendors or the info about a member/s who might be able to assist me. I am not a collector, looking for a new daily shaver till the next level, have just embarked on a journey with B&B.
Thank you all !
When buying vintage, it is important to have the send back option. Frequently sellers hide faults, in words or pictures. Considering the steep prices asked, don't rush in to one, but make sure you get what you think you are getting.

After almost 2 yrs of rude love with R41 and upon squeezing the last drop of its potential I decided to move a step forward. In need of something at least as efficient as R41 but more gentle and milder to my skin. After having read hundreds of lines, my final verdict would be Leresche #77, you might have different opinions, however would like to keep that option. No TTOs, no adjustables. I kindly ask you to give me some hints about reliable vendors or the info about a member/s who might be able to assist me. I am not a collector, looking for a new daily shaver till the next level, have just embarked on a journey with B&B.
Thank you all !

There is a 77 currently listed on Darwin Shaving dot com in the vintage section. In France, looks in good shape, not cheap but probably fairly priced given the scarcity... I have no direct experience with the vendor at all (and I don't think there's any direct link with the original, legendary, English manufacturer) but might be worth a look if you're still looking... I am tempted by it myself but not currently playing in that price bracket.

Howdy all!

Just sharing the latest acquisition. Not quite a new razor per se.

So, I just had to get the copper CB when it was released a while back as I work in telecomm and with copper being such an important material in the industry, that spoke to me. Well... Chris released the beautiful CuBr handle with that nice little copper accent at the end and I just had to get that too! Took the C plate from the copper CB (it's still functional and will have the B plate from now on) and with the new handle and a widebody topcap, boom... newish razor. I induced a patina on it and polished the high spots. Quite happy with how it turned out. And I just got to give a shoutout to Chris here. Just to echo the last email Chris... Thank you for making such fantastic performing and looking products and giving us options.

Also just acquired a new brush. It's got an old watch movement in the handle (I love mechanical watches) and it's got a copper collar too!

A razor and brush that both reflect me and speak to me deeply. Couldn't be happier with the pairing.

Haven't been in this hobby long but I believe I've got my first definite keepers.

Thanks for your time, best regards, and you all have a good one!
-IanV

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
929Shaving diamond handle

Nothing special here, but a bit of a curiosity: this quirky, Darwin-inspired handle (at least, that's what it reminds me of) caught my eye recently and eventually I gave in to curiosity. Made by 929shaving in Pakistan; not much information available about them at all, and what there is (a website, of sorts) doesn't inspire confidence... but there's someone selling a few models on the bay here in Germany, including this one. Otherwise I can't find any other indication at all, online, of how one might acquire it if one wanted to. Mysterious.

1669397015190.png

It came (in this nice box!) with a cheap, pot-metal, 89-knockoff head which I don't even want to look at, let alone post here - the workmanship is pretty terrible - so that's going in a drawer for now. Though I'm all about variety, so I am sure I will get bored and try it out at some point!

The seller claims, however, that the handle is stainless steel. I'm not sure how to tell for sure and I'm not going to scrape away at it to try to find out; although, now that I think of it, if it were, and if one had access to a metal lathe, a few careful cuts in the appropriate places would substantially increase the resemblance to a Darwin...

1669397052189.png

Anyway, it seems decently made (though obviously not artisan-machined at this price point), feels good in the hand, and looks quite good to me just as it is - seen here with a RazoRock M90a head, which I've never quite liked on the chunky handle that came with it (even though that's a great handle for heavier heads). They seem to balance each other better, and I think they look quite snazzy together too! In, you know, a Techno-Gothic sort of way...

Do they shave well together? They do! Full report in my journal thread...

Top Bottom