What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Two today made it here.

First is a 1939-45 Fat handle tech. This is probably one of the best looking one's I have ever seen in person. The nickel plating is about perfect! Nothing showing wear, dings or scratches!
Funny this one was wrapped with some very old packing tape and took quite a bit of work to get it off and cleaned.
Glad to have found this one.

Second one is a 1946-47 Gold plated Aristocrat. Showing wear to the gold through out but mainly centered on the head. Mechanically this one is in good condition other than the bottom knob is loose a bit and needs to be held up when closing the doors. Might see if I can find a fix for this and probably use this one as is for now. It might have a replating in it's future? Cleaned up really good.
Might use it in the morning and see how it does. Love the fact it has some weight to it!

54137032-677C-4BC0-BE3E-5FDAC229283B.jpeg

06A71F3F-5C9B-4A6B-9DE0-15E1A34E7CEC.jpeg

BA95A96B-6B4B-4E60-905C-72B8742F94D2.jpeg

1391CDFC-FD63-42B7-A6F6-FAAC9861A57E.jpeg

2787F974-F32E-4953-BCB4-33175C6AD440.jpeg

F42C8817-CC3F-4A58-BA48-CFDFA6ED1761.jpeg

54897DBC-7BD4-4AE1-8CB9-CE96EE2E512D.jpeg

OK so now I have to admit I have a problem. Wife and I got home from running errands and I had to use to bathroom. Used the guest bath as the master was occupied. While seated I pulled open a lower drawer that never gets much attention, if any. And what do I find but a Slim and 6 packs of Feathers tucked in the back. Apparently I used it and my lovely wife cleaned up for company a long time ago and stashed my “extras”. Hi I’m Chris and I collect razors.

Attachments

• 12DFDC36-9CB4-412E-94F5-ABB513F30415.jpeg
    12DFDC36-9CB4-412E-94F5-ABB513F30415.jpeg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 8

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
OK so now I have to admit I have a problem. Wife and I got home from running errands and I had to use to bathroom. Used the guest bath as the master was occupied. While seated I pulled open a lower drawer that never gets much attention, if any. And what do I find but a Slim and 6 packs of Feathers tucked in the back. Apparently I used it and my lovely wife cleaned up for company a long time ago and stashed my “extras”. Hi I’m Chris and I collect razors.
I have two things to say:

1) what a nice surprise!

2) you got it bad my friend!

This was a bit of a gamble, as I wasn't quite sure what I was getting and the pictures certainly indicated it needed some TLC... and while I'm not adverse to getting into project mode, I've never done any restoration myself.

However, I've heard the name Leresche bandied about here and on other forums, and while I knew this wasn't the strange and much-coveted #77 model, I was intrigued and thought it might be worth a modest bid. And I got lucky, and this is what showed up:

1668429020661.jpeg

1668429145702.jpeg
1668429161441.jpeg

Decades of grease and grime, and the bottom plate bent a bit out of shape, which at first blush was a bit intimidating. I was, however, still not thinking this was likely to be anything special - maybe the somewhat more common #34 or #35 (which actually seem to be the same razor, see below), but still with the characteristic offset open comb. With luck, a decent shaver and a bit of history.

The winged logo on the bottom of the base plate indicates, apparently that this was made after Leresche's 1937 acquisition of the Phenix company, so this could be late 1930's, or early 1940's... I'm guessing not much later than that, though as usual I could easily be wrong.

So yes, just an experiment, and a dip of the toe in non-Gillette waters. A foray, as it were. But as I gingerly cleaned it up, with advice gleaned from various places, and started to look at it a bit more closely, I began to suspect that this might be, while obviously not a 77, the almost-as-rare-and-sought-after model 51!

(Some say this is properly called a '510 Mount' as the double-digit model numbers indicate sets... and this razor came without a case).

I'm now reasonably sure that's what it is, though I'm open to being corrected by those more knowledgeable than myself. In any case, after some VERY careful bending, lots of cleaning and a bit of polishing - there is a fair bit of plate loss on the handle, so the silver there isn't gleaming (and I don't want to lose what's left, unless I decide to replate it), but the nickel on the head and collar is not too bad.

1668429270844.png

1668429299831.png

1668429326170.png

1668429351334.png

I think it's looking quite decent for an oldtimer that's been through some stuff. Including, probably, a good long time in an attic or cupboard in France. Not a perfectly-preserved collector's piece, to be sure, and maybe I can still get a bit more shine out of it with a little more careful work (and I may consider a replate down the road), but perfectly usable and, to me at least, oozes vibe and character. A beautiful piece of design!

And I have to say, the shave is simply glorious - it really does seem to have a bit of that elusive mild-but-efficient magic. And this is absolutely enhanced, in a way I hadn't entirely foreseen, by the pride of having brought it back from the left-for-dead, and the personal connection that comes with that! Something to remember...

More, as usual, in my Around The World In 80 Blades shave journal...

I was looking at these 2 pictures and couldn't decide because it has the Thin Tech handle and patent stamp of 363892
View attachment 1556635
Or this one:
View attachment 1556636
But when weighing it is 47g. So maybe a New #77 in a case from 1941?
:blushing: Whoops! Sorry Balin. I always thought the #77 handles were fixed to the baseplates... obviously not.

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for upgrading my education. :001_cool:

(I just hope Achim @mr-razor isn't going to come round and reprimand me. :eek6:)

:blushing: Whoops! Sorry Balin. I always thought the #77 handles were fixed to the baseplates... obviously not.

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for upgrading my education. :001_cool:

(I just hope Achim @mr-razor isn't going to come round and reprimand me. :eek6:)
Cal, its all good! I am new to vintage razors, so I appreciate you taking an interest 🙂! But what I don't appreciate is now I sort of want to get a fixed plate bottom and one like yours!! 😅

• Love
Reactions: Cal
Cal, its all good! I am new to vintage razors, so I appreciate you taking an interest 🙂!
Thank you, Balin. :001_smile
But what I don't appreciate is now I sort of want to get a fixed plate bottom and one like yours!! 😅
The only difference between the heads on ours is the printing on the underside of the NEW RFB baseplate (obviously the handles are different).

I make a point of giving the "fixed plate bottoms" a wide berth... because I'm a compulsive handle changer/upgrader:
1939-RFB-Pu_2022-03-24.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I had what I thought was a #77 NEW Raised Flat Bottom and it was a two piece razor and it was in the same Bakelite case...with the simple design on the lid.... I traded it for a #24 and that was the three piece NEW Raised Flat Bottom with silver plating. Sometimes, I wonder if #77 just refers to the Bakelite case and the razors included vary. One of my #77 British Flat Bottom Techs has that design on the top of the case... as like @Balin 's top photo... the other one just has a plain top Bakelite case, both Fat handles. So... BFBT's in #77 Bakelite cases?.... my Raised Flat Bottom is just like the one you posted, Cal... in the exact same case.

You guys probably know all this so I'm just repeating what you've known for years.

I had what I thought was a #77 NEW Raised Flat Bottom and it was a two piece razor and it was in the same Bakelite case...with the simple design on the lid.... I traded it for a #24 and that was the three piece NEW Raised Flat Bottom with silver plating. Sometimes, I wonder if #77 just refers to the Bakelite case and the razors included vary. One of my #77 British Flat Bottom Techs has that design on the top of the case... as like @Balin 's top photo... the other one just has a plain top Bakelite case, both Fat handles. So... BFBT's in #77 Bakelite cases?.... my Raised Flat Bottom is just like the one you posted, Cal... in the exact same case.

You guys probably know all this so I'm just repeating what you've known for years.
That's an interesting observation. I am still a newbie at this so I am open to learning!! Don't tell the LOTH though 🤣

R

romsitsa

The "high" bakelite box had a few versions (different hinge, colour, blade cases) and names. Most were No 77 (razors can be 2 or 3 piece Rfb New and flat bottom Techs).
Other "high" bakelite sets are: Candian New Regent, No 10 London, No 45, 46 Popular, No 48 Aristocrat Jr..
The flat bakelite cased sets were No 25 with fb New and Tech heads (also Seven O' clock and Rubie, iIrc), Rfb came in the No 44 set. No24 was a later Tech set.

Top Bottom