What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

True fact: the counterfeit Futur led to an opportunity to explain to my 11 year-old stepson the difference between a fake + counterfeit. I explained that, when you knowingly buy fake flowers, you know you're not buying real ones, but when you buy counterfeit flowers, they've been sold to you as real ones. This counterfeit Futur provided the perfect example.

-Z

Not quite a total razor acquisition question, but kinda, sorta.

I have a nice, heavy Maggard MR8 razor w/the more aggressive V3A head. My question is, in your best of all possible worlds, what would be the dream head to pair w/this monster (179 g) handle?

Thx,
-Z

Mail call! Just came today. Been DE shaving for about 3 weeks and decided it was time to see how another razor performed. Decided to try an adjustable. This one looked good. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus.
Snapseed.jpg

Again, not quite a new-razor acquisition post. More of "I wound up w/this razor, what should I do with it?" post.

Today, I received my order from West Coast Shaving: three Charcoal Goods razor heads (Lithe, Toothsome, and Brawny), Jojoba + Hyaluronic acid aftershave balm, and Zingari Man recovery splash. WCS also packaged three freebies w/the order: samples of Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic soap (which I can't use since it's tallow-based, and I keep kosher) and George F. Trumper's Spanish Leather soap (I think it's soap, at least- unlabeled), and the Treet Starline safety razor (including 5 Treet Platinum Super Stainless blades).

20220511_142838.jpg

So... what I've seen online suggests that the Treet razor is a hard pass, but that the blades are at least decent. Would you, collectively, agree with that assessment? In other words: what should I do w/all of this?

Cheers,
-Z

Again, not quite a new-razor acquisition post. More of "I wound up w/this razor, what should I do with it?" post.

Today, I received my order from West Coast Shaving: three Charcoal Goods razor heads (Lithe, Toothsome, and Brawny), Jojoba + Hyaluronic acid aftershave balm, and Zingari Man recovery splash. WCS also packaged three freebies w/the order: samples of Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic soap (which I can't use since it's tallow-based, and I keep kosher) and George F. Trumper's Spanish Leather soap (I think it's soap, at least- unlabeled), and the Treet Starline safety razor (including 5 Treet Platinum Super Stainless blades).

View attachment 1454149

So... what I've seen online suggests that the Treet razor is a hard pass, but that the blades are at least decent. Would you, collectively, agree with that assessment? In other words: what should I do w/all of this?

Cheers,
-Z
Honestly, if you aren't going to use it, I would run a PIF and give it to someone on the forums. Or you could list it for sale, or throw it in as a freebie if you sell something else on the B/S/T.

I don't have any experience with the blades or the razor so I'm not sure if they perform well.

Honestly, if you aren't going to use it, I would run a PIF and give it to someone on the forums. Or you could list it for sale, or throw it in as a freebie if you sell something else on the B/S/T.

I don't have any experience with the blades or the razor so I'm not sure if they perform well.

This arrived today. The interior of the case is a little soiled and I'm not sure how to go about cleaning it if I decide that I want to. The razor was pretty dirty but shined up really well after rubbing it with a jewelers cloth.View attachment 1454155View attachment 1454156
However you chose to care for it, you did a marvellous job!

I just got back from Mount Airy and did some shaving shopping whilst wandering downtown and picked up a shick injector and a nice Gillette mini travel razor will post pictures after I get them cleaned up and looking proper didn't do too bad buying them the Shick is Bakelite, the Gillette is Nickel both should clean up nice. Nice memories will be attached to these as they were from Mayberry and the first vacation I have had in a number of years lol.

My first Gillette Blue Tip arrived in the mail today, a 1956 B4. I promptly gave it a one-hour spa treatment. The BEFORE photos are from the eBay listing, and the AFTER photos are mine. All this without any disassembly :biggrin1:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

PXL_20220514_172305901.MP.jpg

PXL_20220514_172229055.MP.jpg

PXL_20220514_172627323.MP.jpg

The blade gaps measure a perfect 0.020 inches. It feels so good to resurrect a piece like this so that it can deliver great shaves again. I really look forward to giving it a go.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My first Gillette Blue Tip arrived in the mail today, a 1956 B4. I promptly gave it a one-hour spa treatment. The BEFORE photos are from the eBay listing, and the AFTER photos are mine. All this without any disassembly :biggrin1:
View attachment 1455739
View attachment 1455740
View attachment 1455741
View attachment 1455743

View attachment 1455745
View attachment 1455748
The blade gaps measure a perfect 0.020 inches. It feels so good to resurrect a piece like this so that it can deliver great shaves again. I really look forward to giving it a go.
Great work!

Feather Popular "From Japan"

I had ordered this about 3 months ago because I was curious and got an incredible deal on it.
It was actually the second razor that I had ordered after starting DE shaving a few months ago (I have a bunch now).
Took a while to arrive, Lol!!
I waited on it because it's the real Made in Japan/sold in Japan model and not the Chinese model.
It will be interesting to see how a plastic razor will be compared to my metal ones.

PXL_20220514_200641346.jpg

Top Bottom