What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Customs found this razor part heinous and suspicious
Mark the text behind the colon to find out what it is, or take a guess: Blackland Blackbird SS Safety Bar, polished
DAaan3Y.jpg

I am sorry to disappoint you, but that crack can get bigger with use. One day the handle might just fall apart.
Fair enough. I purchased it for almost nothing, though, so no big loss! The way I'm looking at it, it's not going to do me any good just sitting on a shelf, and no collector is going to want something with a crack, so I might as well use it while I can! 🙂

Fair enough. I purchased it for almost nothing, though, so no big loss! The way I'm looking at it, it's not going to do me any good just sitting on a shelf, and no collector is going to want something with a crack, so I might as well use it while I can! 🙂

The cracks on those handles are very common. They are thin brass tubes, the ends have been forced in the tube, and the brass used is let's say not the best. It's a design flaw. You can read about it here What causes the crack in the handles? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-causes-the-crack-in-the-handles.299093/post-4245514

View attachment 1333960View attachment 1333961View attachment 1333962View attachment 1333963View attachment 1333964View attachment 1333965
Another addition to the clan. What I believe to be a Schone Open Comb razor. Nothing on the box or on the razor to tell you what brand the razor is. When I look up Schone photos it certainly looks like one to me.
That's either a Fatip Grande Mk1 or the dreaded Roedter (which were Fatips that failed QC miserably [LINK]), Andrew.

The easy way to tell the Fatip/Schöne difference, is that Fatips have 11 teeth (like yours) and the Schönes have nine (thicker) teeth.

Also, Fatip Mk2s have their logo stamped on the underside of the baseplate, whereas Mk1s are not stamped (like yours).

That's either a Fatip Grande Mk1 or the dreaded Roedter (which were Fatips that failed QC miserably [LINK]), Andrew.

The easy way to tell the Fatip/Schöne difference, is that Fatips have 11 teeth (like yours) and the Schönes have nine (thicker) teeth.

Also, Fatip Mk2s have their logo stamped on the underside of the baseplate, whereas Mk1s are not stamped (like yours).
My Fatip MKI has the logo on the bottom plate. Bought in 2014.

MKI-01.png

As you can see on the second picture it is indeed an MKI. I am 120% sure I haven't mixed the bottom plates with my MKII

MKI-02.png

received today a razor that I’ve looked but hesitated to buy for a long time…
After having a good time with a Gillette Tech and getting a good deal from the BST I decided to pull the trigger. Looks barely used

I am incredibly happy and I consider my DE journey completed. After nearly 8 years, with dozens and dozens of razors bought and sold, I have finally settled down on the razors and blade that work for my skin. The Feather is going to be the last DE razor I purchase for a long while

3703F5FD-3B6C-4D6E-BA74-73A63F4F18C5.jpeg

Razor Emporium sells replacement handles for this very reason. Just in case you end up loving the razor head and the handle breaks.

Another flare tip Rocket caught. Was pretty rusty. Looks decent now. Needs a final touch with the toothpaste. It is the 60s model with the lower profile head.

View attachment 1335121
These razors really seem to clean up well. I keep seeing particularly dingy ones on eBay and being afraid to buy them thinking they are too far gone and then I see this. Makes me think I've been missing some good deals.

Razor Emporium sells replacement handles for this very reason. Just in case you end up loving the razor head and the handle breaks.

These razors really seem to clean up well. I keep seeing particularly dingy ones on eBay and being afraid to buy them thinking they are too far gone and then I see this. Makes me think I've been missing some good deals.
It is not as good as it looks. The real problem is the head usually. Lots of rust inside and on the bottom plate. Especially the inside of the doors is rusty often, this one was not an exclusion. Requires quite a lot of elbow grease. Finally you end up with brass showing on some places - bottom plate, doors. This one has a bit even on the TTO knob. I intend to use it a lot, even as a travel razor, as I have two others - one very good, one pristine.

It is not as good as it looks. The real problem is the head usually. Lots of rust inside and on the bottom plate. Especially the inside of the doors is rusty often, this one was not an exclusion. Requires quite a lot of elbow grease. Finally you end up with brass showing on some places - bottom plate, doors. This one has a bit even on the TTO knob. I intend to use it a lot, even as a travel razor, as I have two others - one very good, one pristine.
Ah, I see. Well, as long as it's clean and shines a little I'd be happy. User-grade equipment is acceptable to me, especially when it's inexpensive.

Top Bottom