What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

R

romsitsa

It is a Filomatic, and a mint Super adjustable with all bells and whistles.

6E828EBF-8D79-4351-B5AA-BC3AA6965A8F.jpeg

Gorgeous! I hope you enjoy using it for years to come.
Thanks, I'm sure I will if only due to placebo happiness! I don't believe in shelf queens, but this will not come out often.
The 1934 Aristocrat is THE first Gillette TTO for those not in the know. Minor changes happened to the riveting in gen 2, and a diagonal line on the silo doors on the 34s went away. Barely discernable, but I feel very lucky to have this little piece of history in such pristine condition...at a very good price I might add ;) .

A couple found locally that I know nothing about. One says Germany on the plate and has an interesting design on the base of the handle. The DOC has a patent number which leads me to believe it’s US made.

View attachment 1327138View attachment 1327139View attachment 1327140View attachment 1327141View attachment 1327142View attachment 1327143
Thats the merkur logo on the bottom of the handle. The doc seems to be the rare doc that paa vases their razors off of

Fayiz D.

The razors finally came in after service (replate/polish) from Back Roads Gold. The Tuckaway was unusable with one teeth crooked and had buildup before service.

Did Backroads straighten the crooked tooth? Would like to know that process!
I've experimented with bent teeth on a sacrificial Old Type head...
My results were SNAP!...no matter what I tried.

Did Backroads straighten the crooked tooth? Would like to know that process!
I've experimented with bent teeth on a sacrificial Old Type head...
My results were SNAP!...no matter what I tried.

Yes they were able to straighten the teeth. Chris from Back Roads Gold said with heat and his technique there was a good chance they could be fixed. There was a risk teeth could break and I took the chance.

Here's a before pic

proxy.php

After:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

A couple found locally that I know nothing about. One says Germany on the plate and has an interesting design on the base of the handle. The DOC has a patent number which leads me to believe it’s US made.

View attachment 1327138View attachment 1327139View attachment 1327140View attachment 1327141View attachment 1327142View attachment 1327143

The other razor is a Grand Shave King, made in the US and supposedly extremely mild. Nice score!

I received a couple orders from aliexpress.

The first is a clone of the R41 head. As you can see in the pictures the quality is pretty decent, and it appears to be an accurate copy. The tolerances appear to be tight and the cap has very little play with respect to the base.

I haven't shaved with it yet, if anything comes up I will update. Not bad for about 5€ a piece with VAT.

The second is a batch of stainless handles. They are not magnetic, the finish seems a little rough but they have a good weight to them and the threads are well constructed. Judging from the color and the non-magnetic properties they seem to be real stainless steel. These are about 4.5€ a piece with VAT.

I have my reservations about the razor, since I haven't tried it yet. The chinese QC might mean that they missed a critical measurement and the whole thing is useless. The handles however are a good deal for what they are.

I am not sure about the policy of the site regarding posting links from non-vendors, if it is OK I can provide the aliexpress links. Not bad if you can obtain a well functioning razor with a stainless handle for $10.

IMG-0628.jpg
IMG-0629.jpg
IMG-0630.jpg
IMG-0631.jpg
IMG-0632.jpg

The first is a clone of the R41 head. As you can see in the pictures the quality is pretty decent, and it appears to be an accurate copy. The tolerances appear to be tight and the cap has very little play with respect to the base.

I haven't shaved with it yet, if anything comes up I will update. Not bad for about 5€ a piece with VAT.

The second is a batch of stainless handles. They are not magnetic, the finish seems a little rough but they have a good weight to them and the threads are well constructed. Judging from the color and the non-magnetic properties they seem to be real stainless steel. These are about 4.5€ a piece with VAT.

I have my reservations about the razor, since I haven't tried it yet. The chinese QC might mean that they missed a critical measurement and the whole thing is useless. The handles however are a good deal for what they are.

I am not sure about the policy of the site regarding posting links from non-vendors, if it is OK I can provide the aliexpress links. Not bad if you can obtain a well functioning razor with a stainless handle for $10.

View attachment 1327954
View attachment 1327956
View attachment 1327957
View attachment 1327959
View attachment 1327960
I seriously doubt QC will be inferior to Muhle. Or Merkur for that matter.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

I finally got my first 1.gen British 'Aristocrat' for the collection so now I got all four 👌

The razor and case looked pretty good when I received it, but for sure deserved a little of my special love 😅

View attachment 1328014View attachment 1328018View attachment 1328016View attachment 1328017View attachment 1328015

... and after doing my magic 🤩

View attachment 1328026View attachment 1328022View attachment 1328023View attachment 1328025View attachment 1328024

Awesome clean-up Mikkel. Congrats on a very fine specimen of the best and prettiest razor Gillette ever made :001_tt1:

Awesome clean-up Mikkel. Congrats on a very fine specimen of the best and prettiest razor Gillette ever made :001_tt1:
Thanks a lot Peter 👍🏼

I couldn't agree more. The rhodium, open comb, barber pole. It just ticks all the boxes 👌🏼

I mean if this doesn't get someones blod flowing something is most likely wrong 😅

... But it's a dangerous path. Now the hunt begins for some of the other variations!

View attachment 1327954
View attachment 1327956
View attachment 1327957
View attachment 1327959
View attachment 1327960

Thanks for the Info. I just ordered the R41 clone. R41 fan here.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Top Bottom