What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Left: PAA Alpha Ecliptic Right: Sterling Stainless ST
IMG_2715.JPGIMG_E2717.JPG

That's a beautiful set! The Gillette Bulldog is my favorite. It says Made in U.S.A. on the case, does it say made in France on the razor?

Razor is also made in the USA. Definitely French import because it has the GinD import stamp at the underside of the baseplate.

Okay, I was just curious. I have some French Techs that I picked up a couple years ago in Paris. The #14 says Made in France on the shipper and Made in England on the razor. The #5 says Made in France but the blade says "Blade" not "Lames", same with the #14. The Tech in front says Made in France. I guess with Gillette it's like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get.

2021-05-01 15.06.31.jpg

Okay, I was just curious. I have some French Techs that I picked up a couple years ago in Paris. The #14 says Made in France on the shipper and Made in England on the razor. The #5 says Made in France but the blade says "Blade" not "Lames", same with the #14. The Tech in front says Made in France. I guess with Gillette it's like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get.

View attachment 1260712

The no14 tech set is made in England and therefor caries blades instead of lames.
I had a NIB set and that had the same blades as you do.
69098D46-2148-4BC3-8E96-AB5A1369435E.jpeg
0E368420-8EFD-404F-8EB1-385953009DF3.jpeg

Time for an upgrade - this magnificent condition French 1930s Bohin set is inbound from a collector friend.

I have a similar set already but this one is pristine, even with styptic holder and glorius blade bank. The Bohin IMO has a truly magnificent art deco/steampunk design and is a wonderful shaver with a reversable baseplate for dual aggression levels (yup, Rockwell and Karve did not invent this, haha). So now my other set can move on to another interested vintage razor nut.

View attachment 1259059View attachment 1259060View attachment 1259061
Beauty

View attachment 1242414

I decided to do something I have never done before. I just bought a razor in terrible condition for less than $5. This Y2 Super-Speed (1953) was all black. On some places where the nickel was lost there were green patina spots. I had to put much effort to clean it, but I think it was worth it. The mechanism wasn't smooth at all. Midway you could feel it stuck for a fraction of a second and then it went further before tightening. Now it is all smooth. Gaps are even. A fully functional razor.
Nice work!

Top Bottom