What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Have a 1914 gold ABC Pocket Edition with Basket Weave Case on the way. Bought it with a $50 cash gift someone gave me and still have several dollars left over.

CaseTopcc.jpg

RazorInCase.jpg

RazorTopC.jpg

Really wasn't planning on getting it, though I had been looking for deals on another Old Type in good user shape. I saw this and bid not expecting to win it, but like they say, don't shoot at something unless you intend to hit it! At least if my friend asks what I got with the gift they gave me I can tell them it was something neat! It's my first razor with any kind of case and blade bank.

It looks like it's missing the cloth Gillette tag in the case, but I think I can live with that!

Last edited:
Have a 1914 gold ABC Pocket Edition with Basket Weave Case on the way. Bought it with a $50 cash gift someone gave me and still have several dollars left over.

View attachment 1254748
View attachment 1254736
View attachment 1254737

Really wasn't planning on getting it, though I had been looking for deals on another Old Type in good user shape. I saw this and bid not expecting to win it, but like they say, don't shoot at something unless you intend to hit it! At least if my friend asks what I got with the gift they gave me I can tell them it was something neat! It's my first razor with any kind of case and blade bank.

It looks like it's missing the cloth Gillette tag in the case, but I think I can live with that!
Not all ABC cases came with the patches.
I think I read the ones with the engraving on the bottom didn't necessarily have them, though mine does. I have a shell case without patch and engraving, and a basketweave without engraving or a patch.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Not all ABC cases came with the patches.
I think I read the ones with the engraving on the bottom didn't necessarily have them, though mine does. I have a shell case without patch and engraving, and a basketweave without engraving or a patch.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! So it may not be missing anything. My only disappointment may be if it's just too nice to use.

It is engraved on the bottom with patent numbers (not dates as I think I read earlier ones were).

CaseBottom.jpg

I probably need to go back and read these threads:

Thanks again!

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

The MIWA arrived, if the serial number can be trusted it's the 3003rd example. It's most likely made of silver plated German silver.
The original blade can be replace with common injector blades, bit fiddly, but it works. The handle is not really ergonomic, but it's unique.

IMG_0987.jpg

I'm recently vaccinated so I decided to brave the pandemic and check out my favorite Sunday flea market after a year of abstinence. I was pretty pleased with the results. In addition to a couple of nice brushes (which will be restored with new knots), I landed two nice DE razors. The first was a complete WW1 Gillette U.S Service Set in excellent condition. The only real wear is the printing on the inside lining. Even the mirror is clean, there are no handle splits, and it has a full case of what looks like the original blades.

I'll post the second razor in the following post.

View attachment 1253782

View attachment 1253783

View attachment 1253784

View attachment 1253785

Very nice. Most of the Service Set were more than likely given as gifts as were the Officer Sets. A lot of them were put in dresser drawers and are still in perfect condition. Not all of them came with mirrors, you're lucky yours did.

Always wanted a war issue khaki set, and got one.
The mirror looked totally beat, but mothers aluminum wheel polish brought it and the thumb tack back to like new.
No "property us army" stamp on the base plate, but I don't believe they all had it...I also read that if you enlisted they gave you a list to bring with the razor on it. If drafted you got the full set... anyone care to chime in on that one?
View attachment 1253910

You are correct, not all Khaki sets were stamped with property US Army, I have a couple that aren't. I also have a few that do and they have Name Rank and Number on the back. All of the J serial numbered razors were issued and possibly others.

View attachment 1254748
View attachment 1254736
View attachment 1254737

As far as I know, all of the ABC pocket sets had the tag and were stamped on the bottom. Some of the Gillette Pocket sets had the tag and and the rest had paint(?). None were stamped. I've never seen a Gillette case without "Gillette" on the inside cover.

As far as I know, all of the ABC pocket sets had the tag and were stamped on the bottom. Some of the Gillette Pocket sets had the tag and and the rest had paint(?). None were stamped. I've never seen a Gillette case without "Gillette" on the inside cover.
Yes, I received it today, and looking closely at the felt I can see a slightly different color or texture on the felt where the ribbon tag would have been attached, about the same size and position as close as I can tell. So I'm pretty sure there was a patch there originally.

I guess the original owner removed it for some odd reason, or it just came loose. I can't see or feel any residual glue, just that slightly different texture like something had compressed the felt.

I'm sure it just fell off. No big deal, I've seen a lot without, I have a few myself. As far a using it or not, you definitely need to use it. The triple platted silver is pretty tough, unless you get crazy cleaning it, you're not going to hurt it. Gold on the other hand is a different story.

Yes, I received it today, and looking closely at the felt I can see a slightly different color or texture on the felt where the ribbon tag would have been attached, about the same size and position as close as I can tell. So I'm pretty sure there was a patch there originally.

I guess the original owner removed it for some odd reason, or it just came loose. I can't see or feel any residual glue, just that slightly different texture like something had compressed the felt.
At 100 plus years it's not surprising. I would try not to worry about it.

D

dangerousrazor

The MIWA arrived, if the serial number can be trusted it's the 3003rd example. It's most likely made of silver plated German silver.
The original blade can be replace with common injector blades, bit fiddly, but it works. The handle is not really ergonomic, but it's unique.

View attachment 1255397

Nice Score! You need to share how this rare beauty shaves!!!

Top Bottom