What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I just kind of flipped and ordered this from Bulgaria.It's apparently a 1957 British HD rocket.I just threw it on the credit card like it was nothing i'll be on soup for a month.I just had to have it it looks mint.It says it should arrive by 4th march so i'll post some pics when i get it.
How did you pinpoint it at exactly 1957? I can see BRIT.PAT but the number is blurry. Also I don't see a MADE IN ENGLAND inscription on the bottom plate, which in most cases means it is made in Germany.

How did you pinpoint it at exactly 1957? I can see BRIT.PAT but the number is blurry. Also I don't see a MADE IN ENGLAND inscription on the bottom plate, which in most cases means it is made in Germany.
I went on Mr Razor website from the weight and design of the handle it's a 57 made in England which is what it was advertised as.The number is 694093 and there's a 11(2) marking on the underside.

Last edited:
The thing is Achim buys full sets with original blades and he defines the years by the year code on the original blades included. The razor you bought has the patent number, and that only means it is post-1955. That same model without the patent number has PATENT PENDING before 1955. The mark II means it is the medium aggressiveness (medium gap and exposure), as the same razor without the II has bigger gap and exposure. I have both, and I will post them in this thread soon.

Last edited:
Thank you! I have this forum to thank for some great info about these razors! I made the “mistake” of buying a Supply V2 SE razor without knowing anything about razors but for the Mach 3. Don’t get me wrong, the Supply is great, but looking forward to selling it to fund a Blackland Vector!

Your first DE razors? You're sure starting off right!

The thing is Achim buys full sets with original blades and he defines the years by the year code on the original blades included. The razor you bought has the patent number, and that only means it is post-1955. That same model without the patent number has PATENT PENDING before 1955. The mark II means it is the medium aggressiveness (medium gap and exposure), as the same razor without the II has bigger gap and exposure. I have both, and I will post them in this thread soon.
Maybe it isn't made in England then?I don't know is there any other way of telling?I took the sellers word for it looked at a 57 on Mr razor and it looked the same but it might be German.I'm glad you mentioned it i don't know if i should try to cancel my order now.

No need to cancel. But I am strongly inclined to think it is a German made Rocket, like this one http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1956 Rocket HD German Set No52.jpg
I just looked at that German version and it could be that one.I've just sent the guy a message requesting to cancel my order as he advertised it as a British rocket which is what i wanted.Thank you so much for pointing this out to me it could have been a costly mistake.Cheers bud.

No need to cancel. But I am strongly inclined to think it is a German made Rocket, like this one http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1956 Rocket HD German Set No52.jpg
The guy just sent me a message back he must have known it could have been German because he just said it's the same weight 71 grammes.I told him to cancel because it could be either.I really want an English one to go with my other English vintage Gilletes so once again thank you so much for pointing this out.Badger&Blade saves the day once again lol.Take care.

The truth is most of these sellers don't know a Parat from a Rocket, or a Rocket from a Super-Speed etc. 71 g simply means it is not the aluminium version. All brass.

The truth is most of these sellers don't know a Parat from a Rocket, or a Rocket from a Super-Speed etc. 71 g simply means it is not the aluminium version. All brass.
This guy sells razors from Bulgaria on ebay i bought a slim off him over a year ago.Maybe he didn't know but he does now lol.I'm just glad i didn't get it he's already refunded the money.The next one i get is going to have made in England stamped on it patent pending :001_smile i'm going to check on here before i buy anything from now on.The wisdom on here is amazing.Cheers bud.

I bought Canadian Gillette on ebay. Seller don't knew how many years and name of this razor. I bought "new long type" head and open comb head was a gift) Please help me with date and name of the razor.

Attachments

• gillette1.jpg
    gillette1.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 47
  • gillette2.jpg
    gillette2.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 46
I bought Canadian Gillette on ebay. Seller don't knew how many years and name of this razor. I bought "new long type" head and open comb head was a gift) Please help me with date and name of the razor.

In the 2nd picture.

On the left looks like a Gillette Old Type to me.

On the right is definitely a Goodwill Mr. Razor - Goodwill

I am far from an expert but I don't recognize the handle - it may or may not be a Gillette?

The box looks like its from a Red & Black set NEW Red and Black

...Starting a new project 😜 This was not supposed to happen but seller generously accepted a huge discount and I thought it worth to preserve it.

This old fella has fallen a bit from grace and needs a lot of TLC. Handle is cracked and plating is shot. Still the experts say it is salveagable so it will now undergo a full restauration expected to last a few months. This original silver version is significantly rarer than the gold version, which is rare as hens’ teeth in itself. We only know of 3 other silver specimens in existence.

So, over the next months this razor will travel 10,000+ miles across the world and back, visiting 3 countries to be brought back to a second life of admiration and happy shaving 😍

67E13AF6-7E7B-45AA-8001-543AB391DAC0.jpeg
5007C9B4-03C9-4D2E-B1F5-15B7AC8CF155.jpeg
E78ED9A5-65EB-4343-9C26-5998D9BC6502.jpeg

...Starting a new project 😜 This was not supposed to happen but seller generously accepted a huge discount and I thought it worth to preserve it.

This old fella has fallen a bit from grace and needs a lot of TLC. Handle is cracked and plating is shot. Still the experts say it is salveagable so it will now undergo a full restauration expected to last a few months. This original silver version is significantly rarer than the gold version, which is rare as hens’ teeth in itself. We only know of 3 other silver specimens in existence.

So, over the next months this razor will travel 10,000+ miles across the world and back, visiting 3 countries to be brought back to a second life of admiration and happy shaving 😍

View attachment 1225287View attachment 1225288View attachment 1225289
would like to know of its journey and of the work being done in each country, would be interesting to know the details👍🏼

Top Bottom