What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Got my first non-Gillette DE today*. I'm a loyal Gillette fan, and I held out for a very long time, but the Progress is such a fine looking razor, and has such a good reputation, that I couldn't resist anymore.

IMG_20210201_230932630.jpg

*I'm sure we could debate whether the 7 O'Clock Click, Heritage, and KCG really count as "Gillette" or not, but since they're owned/marketed/sold by Gillette, I count them.

Nice. I’ve never used one but I like the looks of it, including the base knob. It kind of reminds me of some sort of antique medical or apothecary tool with a Bakelite tip
Got my first non-Gillette DE today*. I'm a loyal Gillette fan, and I held out for a very long time, but the Progress is such a fine looking razor, and has such a good reputation, that I couldn't resist anymore.

View attachment 1216922

*I'm sure we could debate whether the 7 O'Clock Click, Heritage, and KCG really count as "Gillette" or not, but since they're owned/marketed/sold by Gillette, I count them.

Picked up my first FaTip today

20210202_142732.jpg

I've only had a quick look, but there's a minor plating issue on the underside of the cap and blade alignment seems off (when both sides have the same amount of blade exposure, it looks like one side has less blade gap between the blade and safety bar). I'll need to look at it properly later when I have more time, but this could be a return job 😭

Last edited:

20210202_142732.jpg

I've only had a quick look, but there's a minor plating issue on the underside of the cap and blade alignment seems off (when both sides have the same amount of blade exposure, it looks like one side has less blade gap between the blade and safety bar). I'll need to look at it properly later when I have more time, but this could be a return job 😭

I wouldn't have bought it just because of that logo! "Fa dP tip" LOL, I'm funny like that though.

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh

20210202_142732.jpg

Sadly Fatips are famous for sketchy QC and fussy blade alignment. But they still seem to shave wel, if somewhat on the aggressive side.

Sadly Fatips are famous for sketchy QC and fussy blade alignment. But they still seem to shave wel, if somewhat on the aggressive side.

The plating/QC issue is minor and in a place it will never be see so I'll play around with a blade in it tonight and if I can figure that out I'll be happy and will keep it. Hopefully it works out!

20210202_161205.jpg

Top Bottom