What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

The GEM 1912 was a re-attack from when I saw it back in June, and is a art deco handled squat head model that I find is better balanced than the taller head, longer handled GEMs. I picked up the vintage Wilkies and was talking to the vendor when she brought out a baggie of razors with several Atra handles, a NDC SS, a Slim and ClogPruf in good condition and a 1927 Gillette Milady Decollete. I offered $5.00 for the Milady and gave her date, model and pricing information on her baggie of razors. The Segal is just an odd duck, and while I'd like one in better shape (the finish is missing for the most part and rough where it remains), the price was right and the TTO mechanism cleaned up well and is loose, so I plan to modify some blades and use both the Milady and the Segal during OCtober.
692BE432-5245-4409-B0CE-08B56E90A5CF.jpeg

Today I got this J4 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable with case; I’m putting it away for my birthday/holiday season. View attachment 1168049View attachment 1168050
My birth razor as well, but I'm still looking for one "in the wild" though--I stumbled across a couple this past weekend and had high hopes, only to be disappointed yet again... they were J2 and J3s. Ah well, the hunt is what's fun anyway. I'd even be interested in a Super Speed, but I don't see all that many either.

My birth razor as well, but I'm still looking for one "in the wild" though--I stumbled across a couple this past weekend and had high hopes, only to be disappointed yet again... they were J2 and J3s. Ah well, the hunt is what's fun anyway. I'd even be interested in a Super Speed, but I don't see all that many either.
I was born in December of 1985 but I do own 2 birth year Gillettes; a black handle Super Speed F4 and a Super Adjustable F1 with the black plastic baseplate.

Picked this up as it looked interesting. I'm guessing it is or is related to a Tuckaway?
Picked this up as it looked interesting. I'm guessing it is or is related to a Tuckaway?
Welcome to B&B, Inod3! What a great first post, btw...

You are right, your set is related to the Tuckaway - a New Improved Premium. Achim, mr-razor Gillette Rasierer - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette%20Rasierer.htm , doesn't have one posted, yet, so forgive Erik/Flying Dutchman :001_smile

There are 5 types - Chesterfield, Norfolk, Premium, Somerset, and Tuckaway - in both New Improved and NEW (and both Nickel and Gold). The main difference is the engraving on the lid, the odd one is the Norfolk... And they also come in Ivory and Mother-of-Pearl, but that is best left for another day :001_smile

The case apears to be an 1930s new premium, but in that case the razors doesn't match the case. Whats the production date of the razor?

I see 517932B on the base plate. I'm not sure how to determine production date.

Welcome to B&B, Inod3! What a great first post, btw...

You are right, your set is related to the Tuckaway - a New Improved Premium. Achim, mr-razor Gillette Rasierer - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette%20Rasierer.htm , doesn't have one posted, yet, so forgive Erik/Flying Dutchman :001_smile

There are 5 types - Chesterfield, Norfolk, Premium, Somerset, and Tuckaway - in both New Improved and NEW (and both Nickel and Gold). The main difference is the engraving on the lid, the odd one is the Norfolk... And they also come in Ivory and Mother-of-Pearl, but that is best left for another day :001_smile

Thank you for the excellent information and the welcome. :)

So, I haven't posted here in months - just had a LOT going on, then the whole lockdown thing. Today, my wife and I went antiquing for the first time since the beginning of the year, and I found two nice cased razors.

First, a 1907 (as best as I can tell) Single Ring. The box is a little rough, but the razor is in excellent shape - no bent teeth!! This is officially the oldest Gillette I now have, beating out my 1920 and 1916 Single Rings.
PXL_20201016_183133673.jpg

A352(5?)(0?) - 1907??

PXL_20201016_233459153.jpg

The note was a plus. So, it was bought brand new by this guy's buddies, for his 21st birthday, May 10, 1913. I'm guessing this thing sat around on the store shelf for 6 years. $5 was a ton of money to most folks back then, so they probably didn't move that quick in a lot of areas.

I also found this 1948-1950 cased Aristocrat. I have a couple of the '46-'47 Aristocrats, so it'll be neat to try this and compare them. Other than a little rust around the case rim, and the wrong blade pack, it doesn't look like it was used much if any.
PXL_20201016_233402300.jpg

PXL_20201016_233420674.jpg

I saw a nice looking Hoffritz slant edge in a case, but when I picked it up, I noticed the head was loose and wobbly - the handle was split, just like on an Old Type. Had to pass on that!

So, I haven't posted here in months - just had a LOT going on, then the whole lockdown thing. Today, my wife and I went antiquing for the first time since the beginning of the year, and I found two nice cased razors.

First, a 1907 (as best as I can tell) Single Ring. The box is a little rough, but the razor is in excellent shape - no bent teeth!! This is officially the oldest Gillette I now have, beating out my 1920 and 1916 Single Rings.
View attachment 1169717
A352(5?)(0?) - 1907??

View attachment 1169716
The note was a plus. So, it was bought brand new by this guy's buddies, for his 21st birthday, May 10, 1913. I'm guessing this thing sat around on the store shelf for 6 years. $5 was a ton of money to most folks back then, so they probably didn't move that quick in a lot of areas.

I also found this 1948-1950 cased Aristocrat. I have a couple of the '46-'47 Aristocrats, so it'll be neat to try this and compare them. Other than a little rust around the case rim, and the wrong blade pack, it doesn't look like it was used much if any.
View attachment 1169714
View attachment 1169715

I saw a nice looking Hoffritz slant edge in a case, but when I picked it up, I noticed the head was loose and wobbly - the handle was split, just like on an Old Type. Had to pass on that!
The note with the Single Ring made it really special. What a find. Thanks for share the note and photos.

Top Bottom