What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Looks like Squiggy hauled in a Karve Brass head (plate B) with a WCS Brass handle! Good job, Squiggy! I put a new Derby Usta in it for tomorrow morning's shave.

Karve Brass Plate B head with WCS Brass handle.jpg

Picked up a 1970 (P3) Gillette Black Handled Super Speed, a 48-50 Gillette Aristocrat and a GEM 1912 for $5.00 at a small antique store over the weekend. The lady was looking to move inventory and although a bit dirty and squeaky I figured they would clean up well. They're all good user grade razors, with the Aristocrat being the first I've run across. The handle knurling is nice and sharp, and other than a few spots of plate loss on the handle and on one door and matching safety bar, it shined up well and the TTO mech is smooth after a tweak to correct a bent safety bar and one to correct a lazy/sticky door. The GEM was in the box which was worse for wear, and other than a few flea bites on the cap, all of its plating is there and works well. I have a 74 black handle SS, but this one looked to be in a bit better shape and why pass it up for less than $2?
D9045011-A3C4-4CDC-A385-AD36B05C0369.jpeg
D4854DAC-7200-4031-AB63-9F1A0A611B55.jpeg
83ECA790-2117-4B72-8F40-70DCB74D50F9.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I don’t do modern razors - but I like Squiggy - he’s vintage :thumbup1:

...I’ll say this though that if I ever decide to try a modern razor it will either the Karve or a Wolfman!

If you have a handle and just buy the Karve head, the cost isn't that bad.

Squiggy is cool for sure.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Posted this in the straight acquisition SMH. Any way, under $5 a piece. I was stoked. My first real flea market find

Awesome start! Here's to many more!
Looks like Squiggy hauled in a Karve Brass head (plate B) with a WCS Brass handle! Good job, Squiggy! I put a new Derby Usta in it for tomorrow morning's shave.

View attachment 1161243

Squiggy has a good eye! Love it.

R

romsitsa

funny you did not mention that to him?

Everything evolves as new information comes to surface. That razor had no close up of the top and the owner didn't mention that it's grinded down. Which would be pretty obvious if one knows how the top surface of a New Improved should look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased this Fatboy for $15 shipped. First time doing a Facebook marketplace PayPal transaction so hopefully I don't get screwed. I did pay the extra $0.76 for purchase protection, though. Looks like it should clean up nicely. Has anyone tried using Mother's chrome polish on old razors?
View attachment 1162365View attachment 1162366
Never used Mother's chrome polish, I usually just use Flitz or Maas as they're mild--you might want to try it on the inside of the doors--if it takes the nickel plate off there it won't be as noticeable. Looks like a good find, but hard to tell if there's plate loss from the photos (most of it looks like old, hardened soap), which should clean up fine. Some use scrubbing bubbles, but for really dirty/soap-caked brass razors I'll boil water and put that, the opened razor and some baking soda into a separate dish to loosen a lot of the gunk quickly (inside and out). Once the water cools, you can hit it with SB and Dawn/toothbrush. If the last quarter turn is tight or not there, soak overnight in a heavy concentration of Dawn/water, then clean and polish

This morning I had received my Gillete slim K-1 1965 from a macri app I got for 16 bucks plus blades it's a beautiful razor and isn't as long as I thought it be compared to my fatboy I'll have to give it a good bath and Polish at some point and test drive when the time comes
proxy.php

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Have been rotating between Rockwell 6S, Merkur 34c, and a couple of my different vintage Gillettes for a couple of years.
Thought it was time the get something new, and so I got this buddy in the mailbox.
Well known razor, but still a great piece. Have been using it a couple of times and now I wonder why I waited so long to get one.
Definitely a top three of my collection.
IMG_20200930_180954.jpg

Top Bottom