What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

What's in the box??!!

full

Looks like a new Maggard MR5 found its way home.

full

Awesome score locally here. 1939 English Gillette Popular barber shop handle in nickel. Barely used and looks to be have put away dry Neary 80 years ago.

The case looks to be the 1934 travel case but reports this razor may have come in this case also. Complete set by the looks of it unless it also included a brush? Any additional info on this set appreciated 🙂

Bought for $29.

IMG_20200910_085845.jpg

IMG_20200910_085710.jpg

IMG_20200909_203059.jpg

IMG_20200909_202919.jpg

IMG_20200909_202912.jpg

Awesome score locally here. 1939 English Gillette Popular barber shop handle in nickel. Barely used and looks to be have put away dry Neary 80 years ago.

The case looks to be the 1934 travel case but reports this razor may have come in this case also. Complete set by the looks of it unless it also included a brush? Any additional info on this set appreciated 🙂

Bought for $29.

View attachment 1152672
View attachment 1152673
View attachment 1152674
View attachment 1152676
View attachment 1152678

Very nice!

This is the dentist’s drawers I got. It was still filled with dentists equipment and really smelled like a dentists surgery. Managed to get the smell out though, a.o. by storing an open Cella soap in there (kid you not, now it smells like Cella instead :laugh:). But it is not fit for DE storage with the small drawers...

View attachment 1152486

That's very nice Peter. I'm glad you were able to get the small out. Lol

Mine had tools and parts to make flies for fly fishing. Every drawer was full, at least $100 worth. :eek2:

R

romsitsa

Bought for $29.

Hello, it's matching, came with a black/white plastic handle brush, blue blades and a pamphlet on Gillette shaving cream. While it looks similar to the Traveller No 4 case, this one is from 1938-39 as it has Gillette stamped instead of the diamond.
Don't know when the two piece razor was changed to the TTO in those sets.

Bought for $29.

View attachment 1152672
View attachment 1152673
View attachment 1152674
View attachment 1152676
View attachment 1152678

AWESOME....

Hello, it's matching, came with a black/white plastic handle brush, blue blades and a pamphlet on Gillette shaving cream. While it looks similar to the Traveller No 4 case, this one is from 1938-39 as it has Gillette stamped instead of the diamond.
Don't know when the two piece razor was changed to the TTO in those sets.

Thank you! Didn't even pick up on that detail. I've googled a fair bit and couldn't find any info on this case now knowing it's 1939. Mr razor site doesn't feature a pic of one. All other Popular's in threads here have been the standard size cases.

Might have to track down the brush if at all possible.

Cheers

R

romsitsa

Thank you! Didn't even pick up on that detail. I've googled a fair bit and couldn't find any info on this case now knowing it's 1939. Mr razor site doesn't feature a pic of one. All other Popular's in threads here have been the standard size cases.

Might have to track down the brush if at all possible.

Cheers

It's only maybe from 1939. Could be a bit earlier or later. And the brush is green/white, not black.
Here are two more:

It's only maybe from 1939. Could be a bit earlier or later. And the brush is green/white, not black.
Here are two more:

That's why I couldn't find it. I was searching the wrong title to the case No4 for example. Now it all makes more sense and seems it's not very common at all. Mine just missing the brush and one of the ribbons under the bottom tube.

Thanks again. Good reading and wouldn't of found those threads.

Bought for $29.

View attachment 1152672
View attachment 1152673
View attachment 1152674
View attachment 1152676
View attachment 1152678

Never saw this set before but it is AWESOME. And a nickel Popular in this great condition is one of the most beautiful razors to view! - Congrats on a superscore!!!

Never saw this set before but it is AWESOME. And a nickel Popular in this great condition is one of the most beautiful razors to view! - Congrats on a superscore!!!

Yeah it's reeeeaaal pretty.

I gave it a whirl and surprisingly more mild than it looks. Still super smooth and great shave. This one won't be in regular rotation though. I might move it on at some point to an actual collector that might appreciate it more. It's probably worth more than my 58 Toggle For now I'll enjoy it a bit and look for a Richwood set.

There is a “Bird” back in the den!

I am probably not the only member that has sold a razor and later wondered why did I sell that razor. Too often for me, it comes down to which razor or razors need to go to thin the den. About 6 months ago I sold my machined SB Blackbird along with several other modern DE razors. Although the “Bird” provided a great shave however I wanted more comfort, so I sold it with the others.

Shipping those razors felt great because I had “thinned the den”. However, when the “Bird” was gone, I began to miss the closeness of the shave. I still have several nice vintage razors that are very smooth shavers and provide a reasonably close shave. However, none of my razors modern or vintage have ever provided the closeness that the “Bird” provides.

Today I received an open comb machined Blackbird from BST. I immediately sanitized it and got it shave ready.

Wow, the “Bird” is back and I will not need to shave tomorrow. I was concerned that OC would be more aggressive than the SB However as strange as this sounds I found the OC smoother than the SB while shaving just as close.

The Blackbird is a great razor that will stay in the den no matter how many others come and go. I think that the machined version of the Blackland complements their design.

BB.jpg
products

Last edited:
Top Bottom