What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Picked up a Gillette Slim Adjustable on ebay. One door is a bit lazy, but it closes snugly so will give it a soak in soapy water and a clean with some Cif and see how that works. First adjustable so looking forward to experimenting with the settings!

RE: the lazy door -- it's hard to tell exactly from the photos, but in your second photo where the doors are open, it appears that where the door "ears" engage the base plate (TTO opening is a camming action) the door on the left isn't fully engaging the base plate (almost appears past it) which usually means that either the push rod is bent/out of alignment, but more likely it was dropped and the base plate is either bent down/up on one side. There are threads on here on how to fix either the push rod or base plate adjustment up/down (I've used the method using a butter knife/flat bladed screwdriver to much success) -- you also want to check to make sure the gaps are good which if not corrected will make it shave more aggressively/harsh on the side that's out of whack.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed (England)
20200730_093627~2.jpg

Antique store finds from earlier in the week. Appears to be 1930 NEW DeLuxe Belmont/Criterion razor ($15) with a minor crack in the handle. The other is a Hoffritz (Merkur) slant with zipper case ($9)

Before and after pics (got tired and decided to leave the leftover patina on the slant).

20200731_181412.jpg20200731_181525.jpg20200731_181536.jpg20200731_195207.jpg

Attachments

• 20200731_195120.jpg
    20200731_195120.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 31
Also a fellow from a forum which is not a shaving related message board sent me a PM and said he had found something he wanted to send me.

He was remodeling a house and found some Marlin Firearms Company DE blades! I never knew of these at all. Anyway they are in the mail. Very very cool find.

D9FC4718-E520-4B81-98E1-02A0B8E6871A.jpeg

Hoping to score a NOS friction clip assembly for my Rolls Razor, I went back to an antique store that I saw some NOS Rolls Razor parts in a couple of weeks ago. It was good timing as they were going out of business, so I picked up a NOS: friction clip assembly, 2 Strop Dressing containers and two replacement hones (the strops were dry and cracked so I passed). I'm keeping the friction clip, one strop dressing and a replacement hone but I'll probably pass on the other hone and strop dressing. We stopped at our local antique mall, and right after saying "I haven't seen any razors worth buying in months here,"
Rolls NOS.jpg
I looked down and spied two razors sitting in a little cubby, and for a second it didn't register
cubby.jpg

until I pulled them out for a second look...
Desk.jpg

My first thought was "which $7.00 razor do I want, the brassed out NDC SS, or the Fatboy?" I almost felt obligated to buy the SS knowing that the seller (their booth was 99.9% arts/craft/antiquing paint products and potpourri, i.e., purple yarn) was out of their element when it came to razors. It looked like an F1, but after looking at the end of the TTO knob and cleaning some soap scum off revealied it's an E1. The last quarter turn was silky smooth, but there was a slight bind closing the doors and when closed the doors weren't level/even, but a small tweak of both the safety bar and lift arm and quick hit of Flitz was all it took to getting it in good working order and looking good. I felt bad passing on the SS, but the condition of anything drives price, so to put the same price on the SS as the Fatboy just screamed that they were just looking to move inventory and I happily handed over my 7.00+tax.
E1 side.jpg
E1 Front.jpgE1.jpg

Hoping to score a NOS friction clip assembly for my Rolls Razor, I went back to an antique store that I saw some NOS Rolls Razor parts in a couple of weeks ago. It was good timing as they were going out of business, so I picked up a NOS: friction clip assembly, 2 Strop Dressing containers and two replacement hones (the strops were dry and cracked so I passed). I'm keeping the friction clip, one strop dressing and a replacement hone but I'll probably pass on the other hone and strop dressing. We stopped at our local antique mall, and right after saying "I haven't seen any razors worth buying in months here,"
View attachment 1134467
I looked down and spied two razors sitting in a little cubby, and for a second it didn't register
View attachment 1134535

until I pulled them out for a second look...
View attachment 1134536
My first thought was "which $7.00 razor do I want, the brassed out NDC SS, or the Fatboy?" I almost felt obligated to buy the SS knowing that the seller (their booth was 99.9% arts/craft/antiquing paint products and potpourri, i.e., purple yarn) was out of their element when it came to razors. It looked like an F1, but after looking at the end of the TTO knob and cleaning some soap scum off revealied it's an E1. The last quarter turn was silky smooth, but there was a slight bind closing the doors and when closed the doors weren't level/even, but a small tweak of both the safety bar and lift arm and quick hit of Flitz was all it took to getting it in good working order and looking good. I felt bad passing on the SS, but the condition of anything drives price, so to put the same price on the SS as the Fatboy just screamed that they were just looking to move inventory and I happily handed over my 7.00+tax.
View attachment 1134563View attachment 1134564View attachment 1134567
😮 wow

My 1957 Red Tip and 1973 Flare Tip Arrived.

The Red Tip is simply a gorgeous razor and the Flare Tip is super nice as well. Kudos to London Razor from KY.

I feel like I stole the Red Tip for the $30.

Now if my Slim from @Southbound1 will come on in my collection will be pretty nice.

View attachment 1134053View attachment 1134054View attachment 1134055
My 1957 Red Tip and 1973 Flare Tip Arrived.

The Red Tip is simply a gorgeous razor and the Flare Tip is super nice as well. Kudos to London Razor from KY.

I feel like I stole the Red Tip for the $30.

Now if my Slim from @Southbound1 will come on in my collection will be pretty nice.

View attachment 1134053View attachment 1134054View attachment 1134055
Nice red tip! Plating looks emaculate! If you want to get the red redone, give this guy a shout, he is one of the best...

Top Bottom