What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

76D26A38-09CC-416D-A597-8096A878CFD9.jpeg
BCFE2001-2F83-48A7-9474-D4D7BB1101B6.jpeg

This is my favorite vintage razor, A Shake Sharp Mark 1.5. I was introduced to it by @jmudrick who has a Shake Sharp Mark 1.0, the original which apparently has a different blade management mechanism. It is remarkable in that it is an SE that works with DE blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Stahly (shown w/RR Ti Halo Handle)
20200604_111651~2.jpg

I did not even attempt to use the stock, battery powered handle on the Stahly. Used with the RR Ti Halo Handle, the Stahly is nicely balanced and produced a really nice, smooth and comfortable shave. This is really a cool little razor. I will definitely be shaving with the Stahly again!

$10 Razor/OS Mug Rescue in the mail yesterday... the blurry pictures they sent didn't lie, they looked rough from the photos and lived up to their billing. I just wanted the handle from the Old Type to match up my Army Issue razor that had a thin common bar handle. The mug cleaned up easily as expected, but the plating on the cap of the Old Type was 85% gone so it was taken to brass and the handle will need to be epoxied to stabilize cracks and secure the ends, but it will match well with the Army issue and the head will get the common bar handle. Both razors took a lot of work cleaning and polishing, and the C4 Super Speed has some brassing where it was corroded and blackened before, and there's plate loss on the doors, but it's a "good user grade for trade."
Acquisition1.jpgAcquisition.jpgAcquisition4.jpgAcquisition2.jpgAcquisition3.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry... Did you say... battery powered??? 😦

Yes - The stock handle on the Stahly has a 'vibrator' to vibrate the blade and a battery to power the vibrator. Short, big and heavy handle. Luckily, most 3-piece razor handles with standard threads will work.

I believe that the official name is the "Stahly Live Blade". @jmudrick is the expert on these razors and will hopefully add anything I missed.

Images with the stock handle from the 'Net:
stahly live blade.jpg
stahly live blade2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry... Did you say... battery powered??? [emoji46]

Yes - The stock handle on the Stahly has a 'vibrator' to vibrate the blade and a battery to power the vibrator. Short, big and heavy handle. Luckily, most 3-piece razor handles with standard threads will work.

I believe that the official name is the "Stahly Live Blade". @jmudrick is the expert on these razors and will hopefully add anything I missed.

Nope, no battery, all springs and gears like an old watch.

The head as you discovered is very fine, more efficient than it's mild feel suggests. It's the only razor head I know of which incorporates a leaf spring suspension.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Images with the stock handle from the 'Net:
View attachment 1109479View attachment 1109480
I have one, but it's a wind up mechanism for the vibration. I think it would be irritating to use as it lasts probably three strokes before needing rewinding.

I have one, but it's a wind up mechanism for the vibration. I think it would be irritating to use as it lasts probably three strokes before needing rewinding.
It will last a few minutes when working properly.

Use it with another handle, it's a great head.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The head as you discovered is very fine, more efficient than it's mild feel suggests. It's the only razor head I know of which incorporates a leaf spring suspension.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It will last a few minutes when working properly.

Use it with another handle, it's a great head.

Thank you, Gentlemen. With the weight of the handle, I presumed a battery and set it aside. Should have researched further. At least I got the 'vibrate' part right. ;)

The Stahly head, on another handle, is quite good. Very enjoyable shave. :thumbup:

@sdimartino - No battery, wind up to vibrate. Apologies for the error.

Thank you, Gentlemen. With the weight of the handle, I presumed a battery and set it aside. Should have researched further. At least I got the 'vibrate' part right. ;)

The Stahly head, on another handle, is quite good. Very enjoyable shave. [emoji106]

Experiment with handles -- most prefer a somewhat heavy handle though I prefer one that also balances well, thus have three ATT Atlas handles and one Tibam in service with my four Stahlys.

Also work on technique. I believe the Stahly has negative exposure which means that "letting the razor do the work" is not going to give you a very close shave, using the right amount of pressure at optimum angle will.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

What's that golden colored razor in the background sticking out of the case? That's a really slick looking handle!

Top Bottom